Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Feeder Clubs/ SL Link Up?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

With some of the other clubs forming links with Super League sides I wondered what other people thought of this idea?

I honestly hope Batley do not enter this type of link as I want to see "our players' on the pitch every week. Apparently up to 8 players from the SL club can play for the likes of Hunslet, York, Swinton, etc. How a team can be made up with nearly 50% of players be tied to another club is beyond me. I don't mind 1 or 2 duel reg players but 8 is ridiculous!!

Kevin and the rest of the BOD have done a fantastic job getting us to where we are today so I just hope we can continue to grow without having to become a feeder club for the Cas/Wakey/Hull KR.

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Not for me. If they come it should be on a season long loan end of.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Dewsbury are linked up with Bradford, announced today. Should make a more competitive game between you, takes the ###### to be honest as relegation is reinstated next season, it will certainly help the lower clubs avoid this but it going to be like watching another fans club.

If it happened to Fax in the future I would be done with it and lots of others feel tha same.

#4 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

We can only take 8 different players from them a season and only 3 can play at same time.....

Aslong as we use it wisely at the rams then i dont see it been a problem and the benefits for our club good to me.

By that i mean like Warrington did with Leigh the other year with Matty Blyth and that Mitchell lad. It worked well for Leigh.

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 04 October 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#5 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

The dewsbury link says players can move both ways , if we had been linked to any one last season , how many games would the two alex,s have played for us , I would see super league clubs lookin at takin players the other way to try , before committing themselves , plus I thought RAMS were our feeder club

#6 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm not a fan of it. You lose a bit of identity when you're just a warm up team for the SL players who didn't get picked. What are our players who don't get picked due to a SL player being better in their position? Are they going to be shipped out to Batley Boys the same way? It was obvious this would happen with the announcement of academy sides shutting down.

It sounds to me like a build up to the end of Championship rugby. Hunslet are now Rhinos academy/keeping the player fit squad as are Rams to Bradford.
SIGNATURE

#7 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

This is dissapointing. I think if all championship clubs become feeder teams then It will kill off the championship. If this does happen are the RFL thinking that championship fans are going to become fans of the parent club? I for one won't.

It's a shame we can't set up our own governing body and run it properly.

#8 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

The dewsbury link says players can move both ways , if we had been linked to any one last season , how many games would the two alex,s have played for us , I would see super league clubs lookin at takin players the other way to try , before committing themselves , plus I thought RAMS were our feeder club

Even worse then. As you said, both Alex's would have been taken from us and I'm sure it would have been written in that the SL team could do that.

I think mistakes have been made with this scheme. I may be wrong, but only time will tell.
SIGNATURE

#9 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Even worse then. As you said, both Alex's would have been taken from us and I'm sure it would have been written in that the SL team could do that.

I think mistakes have been made with this scheme. I may be wrong, but only time will tell.

Bradford can sign a rams player but they get no advantage or head start they would go by the same process as anyother sl club.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#10 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Bradford can sign a rams player but they get no advantage or head start they would go by the same process as anyother sl club.

There is just the fact that it may happen mid season and leave you short of say a prop or a hooker. If the player wants it, the club can't really turn them down, and yes I know they'd be compensated for it, but compensation can't play rugby.
SIGNATURE

#11 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

As per toms comment in our forum, yes they might but the same applies to every other CC club.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#12 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

How is that , moving both ways , its just one way then , so why say players move both ways ?

#13 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

In what way are we bradfords reserve team?

Bradford cant just take our players when needed, if they do,they have to sign them like any other club would and wed need a transfer fee if in the middle of a season. Along story cut short, we get any bradford player not named in their 19man squad whos too old to play in the under 19s. Bradford will only have a squad of around 25 and some of them may be ok to play in the under 19s or be injured. If any Bulls players get made available to us we dont have to play them, its up to Glen if he picks them. Glens not going to ruin his own teams chances. Hes not stupid,neither is Mark Sawyer. We avent been forced to partner bradford, wev done it because it benefits us too. Like we get to use their training facilities and share lottery aswel as get potential access to better and more players. The only thing bradford gain is they have first chance to sign our best young players like in the past wev lost dom maloney and youv lost alex walmsley, but only should the youngster want to leave and play superleague. Its then up to the player if he wants to go fulltime and join them or stay partime or opt for another club. If a player wants superleague and is good enough were going to lose them no matter what so i dont see a problem?? Players are aloud to want to better themselves and play superleague, which even if they do bring back promotion relegation dewsbury and batley will not be able to give a player fulltimesuperleague rugby.
Read the topic on rams fans forum and club website before getting wrong end of the story...

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 05 October 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#14 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

How is that , moving both ways , its just one way then , so why say players move both ways ?

moving both ways at the end of the season if they sign any of our hot prospects like saints did alex walmsley and moving both ways like leigh did with dual reg deals with warrington the other year with matty blythe and mitchell playing for both clubs in a season. Like leigh for afew week, then back warrington. then back leigh ect ect.... hence, moving both ways....

I dont think you all understand the agreement if you read the rams website you will understant more

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 05 October 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#15 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

As per toms comment in our forum, yes they might but the same applies to every other CC club.

Not every other club have their players on first hand display who can get a taste of the high life of SL.

Rams have put their players in the shop window, but that's only one down side (IMO), the other is becoming a part of another club. Maybe not by name, but a little bit of Dewsbury's identity as gone now. It's like the NRL feeder clubs.

I really hope Batley don't go the same way.

Edited by BatleyFanAndy, 05 October 2012 - 07:00 PM.

SIGNATURE

#16 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

moving both ways at the end of the season if they sign any of our hot prospects like saints did alex walmsley and moving both ways like leigh did with dual reg deals with warrington the other year with matty blythe and mitchell playing for both clubs in a season. Like leigh for afew week, then back warrington. then back leigh ect ect.... hence, moving both ways....

I dont think you all understand the agreement if you read the rams website you will understant more

This is what Tom Coates has to say on your forum

"We're no more a feeder club for the Super League than any other team in the Championships.

We get first refusal on Bradford's fringe stars, and they get first refusal on our players ready to make the step up to the Super League."

Now readin that , they get first refusal of your players an you get first refusal of theres im presumin means anytime thro the season

Edited by Batley Bob, 05 October 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#17 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

He also said he had spoken to Stuart Duffy at Bradford and this wasn't the case. They start like like every other sl club if they want to sign a player. I'm still not sure why this deal would increase the chances of Bradford signing anyone mid season. How many times has this happened before , very very few times I'd guess. Setting budgets and the salary cap would still means clubs will leave any signings until close season.

[

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

He also said he had spoken to Stuart Duffy at Bradford and this wasn't the case. They start like like every other sl club if they want to sign a player. I'm still not sure why this deal would increase the chances of Bradford signing anyone mid season. How many times has this happened before , very very few times I'd guess. Setting budgets and the salary cap would still means clubs will leave any signings until close season.

Not sure I want to trust Duffy - I once bought a guitar off him when he owned Jigsaw music - fell to bits in a couple of months. :o

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Not sure I want to trust Duffy - I once bought a guitar off him when he owned Jigsaw music - fell to bits in a couple of months. :o

Jigsaw being the operative word, then.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#20 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

So with extra DR , how do you keep your players match fit , who arent getting games GOR , its same problem weve had , but now yours will be worse , with a squad of 25 rams plus 5 DRs , always thought rams /dogs might form a joint academy , at some point , run by both sides development officers arranging games with other academy / reserve sides givin players game time who are left out of bothrams/dogs squads

Edited by Batley Bob, 06 October 2012 - 10:53 AM.