Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Clive Woodward

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

The RFL need someone who can sell the game, we have a great product but our 'sales men' don't seem to have the right pitch!

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

The RFL need someone who can sell the game, we have a great product but our 'sales men' don't seem to have the right pitch!

We certainly had a great product tonight. I think Woodward would be great for the game. He was educated in North Yorkshire at Ampleforth College where one of his teachers was Gerry Kershaw former RL ref. I believe he had talks with Warrington at one point.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#23 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

We certainly had a great product tonight. I think Woodward would be great for the game. He was educated in North Yorkshire at Ampleforth College where one of his teachers was Gerry Kershaw former RL ref. I believe he had talks with Warrington at one point.

But where is his allegiance and heart? Bill Fallowfield was from a RL family but sold his soul to union and did great damage to RL when he was running the show.

#24 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

But where is his allegiance and heart? Bill Fallowfield was from a RL family but sold his soul to union and did great damage to RL when he was running the show.

The guy at the top doesn't necessary have to be a RL person to do a good job for the RFL. What you want is someone with a proven record in elite sport.
Fides invicta triumphat

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

The guy at the top doesn't necessary have to be a RL person to do a good job for the RFL. What you want is someone with a proven record in elite sport.

Yes, agreed, if he is truly committed to the job and dosn't have half an eye on his next position, probably within the RU hierarchy.

#26 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I think he would be a very good appointment, but is there any real chance of it happening? I remember that when he was the England RU coach and was asked to choose a player from any country or era to add to the team, he went for Wally Lewis so he obviously appreciates TGG.

I met him once at a corporate talk - very very impressive and so thorough in preparation. He said he once went to Warrington RLFC with a view to signing, but it was not to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users