Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Clive Woodward

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

The RFL need someone who can sell the game, we have a great product but our 'sales men' don't seem to have the right pitch!

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,208 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

The RFL need someone who can sell the game, we have a great product but our 'sales men' don't seem to have the right pitch!

We certainly had a great product tonight. I think Woodward would be great for the game. He was educated in North Yorkshire at Ampleforth College where one of his teachers was Gerry Kershaw former RL ref. I believe he had talks with Warrington at one point.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#23 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

We certainly had a great product tonight. I think Woodward would be great for the game. He was educated in North Yorkshire at Ampleforth College where one of his teachers was Gerry Kershaw former RL ref. I believe he had talks with Warrington at one point.

But where is his allegiance and heart? Bill Fallowfield was from a RL family but sold his soul to union and did great damage to RL when he was running the show.

#24 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

But where is his allegiance and heart? Bill Fallowfield was from a RL family but sold his soul to union and did great damage to RL when he was running the show.

The guy at the top doesn't necessary have to be a RL person to do a good job for the RFL. What you want is someone with a proven record in elite sport.
Fides invicta triumphat

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

The guy at the top doesn't necessary have to be a RL person to do a good job for the RFL. What you want is someone with a proven record in elite sport.

Yes, agreed, if he is truly committed to the job and dosn't have half an eye on his next position, probably within the RU hierarchy.

#26 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I think he would be a very good appointment, but is there any real chance of it happening? I remember that when he was the England RU coach and was asked to choose a player from any country or era to add to the team, he went for Wally Lewis so he obviously appreciates TGG.

I met him once at a corporate talk - very very impressive and so thorough in preparation. He said he once went to Warrington RLFC with a view to signing, but it was not to be.