TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Bateman Signs New Deal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Great news for Bulls fans

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/19835392

(null)

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Wasn't expecting that. Great news.

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

Good to see him staying at the Bulls.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#4 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Good on him, a boost for the club and fans after a terrible season off the field. Nice to see loyalty still exists in RL.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Good news for Bulls - Hope that helps sell season tickets for next year.

Well done Mr Khan and a bigger well done for Bateman staying true to his word when the vultures were out!!!

#6 langer7

langer7
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

Were the vultures ever out? I think the other super league clubs seem to have behaved very respectfully towards Bradford during the last 9 months. The players that have left the Bulls seem to have engineered the moves themselves rather than having been picked off by vultures.

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,690 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

Were the vultures ever out? I think the other super league clubs seem to have behaved very respectfully towards Bradford during the last 9 months. The players that have left the Bulls seem to have engineered the moves themselves rather than having been picked off by vultures.

They were told to lay off by their own organisation.

Oddly they haven't laid off Hull.K.R. Salford and Castleford.

So what's that about then???

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I don't think they were ever 'told' to lay off were they? Surely this would just have been a gentleman's agreement, in the knowledge that this could realistically happen to any club over the next few years.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,690 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

I don't think they were ever 'told' to lay off were they? Surely this would just have been a gentleman's agreement, in the knowledge that this could realistically happen to any club over the next few years.

I don't know for sure all I see are clubs who wield a lot of power through their chairmen and clubs who seem to toe the line. As I noted before four club Chairmen went to Toulouse to see how they may be fixed for SL 2015.

But this isn't the point, it's a glaring anomaly that Bradfords players should not be picked off yet the equally skint Cas, Salford and HKR are fair game. Maybe 12 clubs for 2015 is the logical reasoning.

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

I don't know for sure all I see are clubs who wield a lot of power through their chairmen and clubs who seem to toe the line. As I noted before four club Chairmen went to Toulouse to see how they may be fixed for SL 2015.

But this isn't the point, it's a glaring anomaly that Bradfords players should not be picked off yet the equally skint Cas, Salford and HKR are fair game. Maybe 12 clubs for 2015 is the logical reasoning.

Cas,Salford and HKR haven't gone bust (yet),Bradford needed to keep their players to have a chance of seeing the club survive.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Nope - completely different things we are talking about.

Warrington actually made a bid for Bateman if reports are true - my understanding is that if they went into liquidation then the players would become free agents. Clubs agreed not to move for these free agents and would give the new Bulls the chance to transfer them over.

This is completely different to making an offer for players under contract.

#12 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Clubs agreed not to move for these free agents and would give the new Bulls the chance to transfer them over.

If clubs can agree to make decisions like that, why can't they come together and sort out other issues such as the number of overseas players etc?!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#13 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,690 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

If clubs can agree to make decisions like that, why can't they come together and sort out other issues such as the number of overseas players etc?!

I'd guess because the current crisis of £8M losses in SL and clubs going into admin and others getting close to it has sharpened a few dull minds?

Events has solved the overseas players problems.

#14 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'd expect that most of the players would have had contracts lined up, just in case the Bulls went under. If I were a player and found my agent hadn't done so, I'd have been looking for a new agent, to be honest.

In respect to companies being taken over (like the Bulls), the natural order is that employee contracts are simply taken over by the new owner, however the employee doesn't have to accept this and can legally refuse. The only refusenik at Odsal was prop Craig Kopczak, who was reportedly going to the Giants, though later reports suggest this has fallen through. He is obviously no longer employed by the Bulls though.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'd expect that most of the players would have had contracts lined up, just in case the Bulls went under. If I were a player and found my agent hadn't done so, I'd have been looking for a new agent, to be honest.

In respect to companies being taken over (like the Bulls), the natural order is that employee contracts are simply taken over by the new owner, however the employee doesn't have to accept this and can legally refuse. The only refusenik at Odsal was prop Craig Kopczak, who was reportedly going to the Giants, though later reports suggest this has fallen through. He is obviously no longer employed by the Bulls though.

TBF though, it would have been easy for a club to be aggressive approach the agent and say they will double their Bulls wage if they refuse to transfer to the new Bulls. I think this is where the 'gentlemen's agreement' came in, and isn't this why the Giants have had some criticism?

#16 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Well done Mr Khan and a bigger well done for Bateman staying true to his word when the vultures were out!!!

I think Wire were the 'vulture' that you refer to, but they have treated Bradford and Bateman completely properly and respectfully at all times.

They put their bids on the table, not under it and made it clear Bateman was very welcome to join without doing anything underhand.

If only some others could have done that.
People called Romans they go the house

#17 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

I think Wire were the 'vulture' that you refer to, but they have treated Bradford and Bateman completely properly and respectfully at all times.

They put their bids on the table, not under it and made it clear Bateman was very welcome to join without doing anything underhand.

If only some others could have done that.

Yes I was talking about my club, I do believe other clubs in yorkshire put in offers!!

I really mean it - I'm glad he's true to his word young bateman.

#18 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Events has solved the overseas players problems.

Really? 7 overseas players at my own club this season seems to disprove that quote...

Anyway, going way off topic - great news for the Bulls and Bateman. He should turn out to be a great player for the club and hopefully his country.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#19 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

This is good news. We could have an argument about "vultures" every time a player moves/stays. Here, Bateman seems to me to have a particularly high value as clear star material and a name the Bulls can market - people love their stars but they really adore their "loyal" home grown stars.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,690 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Really? 7 overseas players at my own club this season seems to disprove that quote...

The events of the recent TV deal will have repurcussions in the coming seasons not this one.

BTW how many imports have you got next year, and where will your import number be in 2015 do you think??

Edited by The Parksider, 05 October 2012 - 10:32 AM.