Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SPAVEN SIGNS UP & WOLVES ACADEMY STAR JOINS RAMS

Rams media release

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

SPAVEN SIGNS UP FOR 2012

Glenn Morrison has added further depth to his options at half-back and hooker with the re-signing of 2012 squad member Scott Spaven. Spaven joined the Rams ahead of the campaign from Doncaster, having learnt his trade at Hull KR as an Academy player.

He made two substitute appearances in the Super League for the Robins in 2010 before making the switch to the Dons, where he finished as the club’s top points scorer in his first and only season with the club. Spaven enjoyed an impressive first year with the Rams, scoring four tries and kicking three goals in 20 appearances.

Still only 22, Scott says he is looking forward to taking to his game to the next level under a new coaching staff at the Tetley’s Stadium. It is hoped that the expansive style of play spoken about by Rams head coach Glenn Morrison will help bring the best out of Spaven, who showed plenty of promise in his debut year with the club.

WOLVES ACADEMY STAR JOINS

Head coach Glenn Morrison has once again utilised his strong links with the Super League Academy system to bring Warrington Wolves Academy centre callan Beckett to Dewsbury Rams. Beckett, 19, was on the books at Warrington for three years, having signed for the club from local amateur club Bold Miners.

Prior to his spell with the Miners, Beckett learnt his trade with Burtonwood Bulldogs and played in the second row during his younger years before settling into his now preferred position in the threequarter line. The youngster featured prominently for the Wolves' successful under-20s side in 2012, but missed out on a place in the Grand Final due to a broken foot sustained six weeks prior to the match.

Now back to full fitness, Callan says he is relishing the opportunity to make the step up to Championship level with the Rams. "Glenn Morrison is a top young coach and the quality of player he has brought to the
club played a big part in my decision to join the club," said Beckett. "I'm looking forward to learning my trade in a good rugby town and really hope I can take the opportunity to prove myself in the Championship, which everyone knows is a good and very tough league. I'll offer everything I can to help the side in 2013 and am looking forward to what I hope will be a successful year."

Beckett becomes the 18th member of Morrison's new-look Rams squad, which contains an exciting mix of proven experience and exciting young talent.

"I'm really pleased to have been able to bring Callan to the club," said the Rams boss. "He's a high-quality player who I became familiar with during my time at Wakefield, and somebody with enormous potential for the future."

Edited by Honor James, 05 October 2012 - 09:58 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

More Championship clubs raiding the SL developed players from our poor clubs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users