RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Eagles for SL

• Please log in to reply
549 replies to this topic

#61 raoul

raoul
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I don't know why any of you are talking about Sheffield for super league because Wigan are the moral champions because grand finals don't count.
Seriously though, good luck with whatever you decide to do. Surely a grand final win can only help to kick start development in the area. Lets not forget that fev were nl2 not that long ago, a million miles away from sl and now they really are banging on the door with rival bids from 2 established clubs to permanently contend with.
Surely the people of Sheffield would see that the product the football sides of the city is absolute dross in comparison to rl. There again, these are dee dars we are talking about. (Sorry to most of my work colleagues, couldn't help it). I think as someone else has mentioned, with the right marketing, it shouldn't just be Sheffield they should be aiming for.
Go eagles!

#62 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

If only mate. Amateur base too small as is the fan base.

Two clubs more than Featherstone thou and all three Donny clubs have their own players ;) ;)
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#63 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

So come on everybody. If Eagles were being promoted in a few months time how would they do and how would they do it?????

They wouldn't be just starting now though would they? If promotion was a possibility, chances are they might have had people/finances on board by now.

#64 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Is that a consideration for a team outside the traditional heartlands?

Big city club, in the right hands, could bring a lot to the table.

I live in Sheffield they play decent RL and the people who run the club are a credit but you are not going to get the dee dars to leave footblall for RL not a chance the City has 2 big football clubs the rest are into ice hockey

However we should have promotion relegation and regardless of gates or stadium the team who performs where it counts on the field should be rewarded

Posted Image

#65 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Nor do I.

Open question to all,

Where will Sheffield Eagles get their money, players and fans from?

I would play 2 seasons at the Lane and let all United and Wednesday season ticket holders in for nothing for the first year just to see if interest can be generated
Posted Image

#66 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

I would play 2 seasons at the Lane and let all United and Wednesday season ticket holders in for nothing for the first year just to see if interest can be generated

Not a bad idea....if the Weds fans will lower themselves. ;)

#67 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Catch 22. They dont get bigger crowds because they declared that they didnt want to go up .......

Far, far, far too simplistic.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#68 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hang on, this discussion is pretty much based on the fact that they have won the GF, not merely that they are based in a big city. In another life they would have been promoted anyway, so how can you deride them when that is what you are calling for?

But it's not another life is it? As it stands now we have a licensing system which needs to be adhered to, depending on who you are of course, which involves being able to attract a reasonable crowd, cash, stadium, junior development et al. Winning a GF counts for very little in the process. If you can show me the evidence that Sheffield have these attributes then fair do's. Sheffield is not a RL city and never will be despite Mark Aston's remarkable efforts. They pulled off one of the biggest shocks in Challenge Cup history in beating the star studded Wigan side at Wembley but even that didn't capture the imagination of the Sheffield public, so why would it now?
What's changed?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#69 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

I live in Sheffield they play decent RL and the people who run the club are a credit but you are not going to get the dee dars to leave football for RL not a chance ....

They can't watch both, then ? :huh:

#70 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Sorry to be pedantic, but....I think you will find that the Sheffield club to which you refer is still in Superleague and throughout the year pulled an aggregate attendance of 100,000+ and finished in the play-off positions...not exactly failure

http://wck2.companie...932/compdetails

They simply changed names!

That's true. It was Huddersfield who went bust.

#71 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Many of the objections on here to Sheffield in SL seem quite valid, lack of fans, lack of big investor, lack of juniors, major competiton from soccer etc.

However, I am sure the management of Sheffield Eagles are well aware of all this and are also aware of the conditions to be met before they can apply for A SL licence. If they feel that they are in a position to apply for one, then I say let them do so. If they don't have plans in place with regards to all the crtieria necessary for a successful application, then they will not be granted a licence.

The progress of the Eagles, since their admittance to the CC1 as a new club following the loss of the previous Eagles in the merger with the Giants, is a remarkable success story. They are now CC champions, having beaten the red hot favourites in the grand final and, I think I am right in saying, that they had made a profit last season.

The record of Mark Aston, as a player, a coach and an executive is one of the most remarkable and under appreciated success stories in recent RL history, in my opinion. If he thinks he can make a successful application to SL for his Sheffield brand, then I would'nt bet against him in spite of the obstacles in his way as listed on this thread.

If he suceeds, then we have SL expansion in a big City, just what we want. If he fails, then, it won't be the first time for SL, will uit? I say, let him try and see what happens.

#72 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'm sure Sheffield Eagles would easily record crowds greater than what London Broncos have been getting if allowed into Super League, simply because the away teams would have more travelling support and the people of South Yorkshire would be more likely to come out to watch your Wigans and Leeds of the rugby league world than Rochdale or Batley.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#73 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Look - there's a lot of rubbish being posted here.

Barnsley outside Sheffield's area ? What ? Sheffield have serviced it for as long as I can remember. Has no club ever signed a player living more than ten miles away or summat ?

Sheffield's Achilles heel is its fanbase. They need to throw the kitchen sink at getting crowds in for a couple of years. If it works - fine. If it doesn't, back off for say, ten years, stick where they are and then - if they think the time's right, have another go at upping the fanbase. To be fair, they've had Tim Bergin onto that this year, he's improved the crowds (well, crowds have improved, anyway ^_^ ) but, imho, they're still playing at it.

Finances ? Well, the last two years published accounts (2010 and 2011) show a modest profit. If crowds had been up at the 2500 mark, that'd obviously be a bigger profit. Commercially, they do very well. Contrast that with Fev - bigger crowds, more successful on the field, own their own ground - lost £80000ish and £90000ish in 2009 and 2010 respectively. 2011 accounts might be better - on the other hand, they're overdue at Companies House and that generally means bad news.

Edited by Griff, 06 October 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#74 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Wasn't the first Euro SL game Sheffield v Paris?

Sorry if it's already been posted, but I really can't be ars@d with reading the entire thread
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

They wouldn't be just starting now though would they? If promotion was a possibility, chances are they might have had people/finances on board by now.

People/finances??

Where from? Who??

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Look - there's a lot of rubbish being posted here.

Finances ? Well, the last two years published accounts (2010 and 2011) show a modest profit. If crowds had been up at the 2500 mark, that'd obviously be a bigger profit. Commercially, they do very well. Contrast that with Fev - bigger crowds, more successful on the field, own their own ground - lost £80000ish and £90000ish in 2009 and 2010 respectively.

So they make a modest profit on a sub £1,000,000 turnover?

What will an extra 1500 fans bring them then £250K a year?? Now they are up to £1.25M turnover, add the SKY money and they are past the £2.5M mark.

All they will need then is to contract a Million pounds worth of pro players........

So all I can see is a massive loss.

At HKR Neil Hudgell provided the Millions for the players and on 8,000 gates HKR still lose £500,000 a year........

Edited by The Parksider, 06 October 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#77 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

People/finances??

Where from? Who??

That would be their job to discover. If they couldn't get them no promotion but maybe they should have a fair shot at trying.

#78 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

That would be their job to discover. If they couldn't get them no promotion but maybe they should have a fair shot at trying.

Fair enough. Someone out there may want to throw a million pounds or more a year at Sheffield ad infinitum to get not very far, but I am at a loss to think why and believe it is a very very very long shot.

And anyway the Likes of Hughes, Hudgell and Wilkinson who did it because they were big fans of their clubs have tried it and failed to get very far.

Is there really some super rich looney out there in an Eagles shirt?

Edited by The Parksider, 06 October 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#79 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Fair enough. Someone out there may want to throw a million pounds or more a year at Sheffield ad infinitum to get not very far, but I am at a loss to think why and believe it is a very very very long shot.

And anyway the Likes of Hughes, Hudgell and Wilkinson who did it because they were big fans of their clubs have tried it and failed to get very far.

Is there really some super rich looney out there in an Eagles shirt?

I think we are unlikely to find out anytime soon. But there might be one out there.....you never know.

Edited by Johnoco, 06 October 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#80 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

So they make a modest profit on a sub £1,000,000 turnover?

What will an extra 1500 fans bring them then £250K a year?? Now they are up to £1.25M turnover, add the SKY money and they are past the £2.5M mark.

All they will need then is to contract a Million pounds worth of pro players........

So all I can see is a massive loss.

At HKR Neil Hudgell provided the Millions for the players and on 8,000 gates HKR still lose £500,000 a year........

What I was suggesting is that they need to build up their fanbase to 2500 at Championship level before they consider applying for $uperleague - not that they could exist in $uperleague on gates of 2500. <_<

2500 is the mark set by the RFL.

Personally, I think it's too low.

And I can't make sense of your figures - Sheffield already have a player payroll cost. On your figures the Sky money covers the payroll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users