Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Eagles for SL

• Please log in to reply
549 replies to this topic

#161 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Part of the Eagles constitution states that one person cannot be a majority shareholder. That may put off some of the more dubious investors.

It was what we signed up to when the club reformed. I have a share somewhere.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#162 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

http://wck2.companie...28f/compdetails

Pay your quid and see for yourself .......

You said....

"Contrast that with Fev - bigger crowds, more successful on the field, own their own ground - lost £80000ish and £90000ish in 2009 and 2010 respectively. 2011 accounts might be better - on the other hand, they're overdue at Companies House and that generally means bad news".

I'm happy to take your word for it, I was looking to confirm and not doubt.

Last night the Casfans website held a rumour of the club being £2M in debt and finding a large tax bill hard to fund.

The post with the rumour and another looking for verification were seemingly removed.

#163 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

The post with the rumour and another looking for verification were seemingly removed.

Interesting - seeing as it's easily verifiable fact. :huh:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#164 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Interesting - seeing as it's easily verifiable fact. :huh:

I think you may be underestimating your skill and knowledge when it comes to checking the position of company accounts.

But basically Cas are £2M in debt and owe a large tax bill then?

#165 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

But it's not another life is it? As it stands now we have a licensing system which needs to be adhered to, depending on who you are of course, which involves being able to attract a reasonable crowd, cash, stadium, junior development et al. Winning a GF counts for very little in the process. If you can show me the evidence that Sheffield have these attributes then fair do's. Sheffield is not a RL city and never will be despite Mark Aston's remarkable efforts. They pulled off one of the biggest shocks in Challenge Cup history in beating the star studded Wigan side at Wembley but even that didn't capture the imagination of the Sheffield public, so why would it now?
What's changed?

Just started reading this thread. Got here and thought i ought to reply so sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Was talking to a friend about this over the weekend.. What has changed? the football sides have plumeted down the leagues, Wednesday have nearly gone under and United are pretty poor at the moment. when we won the challenge cup Wednesday had had a good run in the Premier League, the league cup win of 91 and the final of 93 along with the FA Cup final of 93 were not that distant a memory banks along wth good years in the premiership, United also had years in the premiership to remember, an fa cup semi in 93 and one against newcastle in the not too distant. People really thought the football teams were going to kick on.

Now both are rubbish and many many moons away from any chance of glory (unless wednesday some how have a run in the fa cup this year ala millwall from a few years ago) but with the right marketing etc the fans could (but i stress could) turn their attention to RL for success..

a few people have said on here about moving fans away from football and to RL.. but that doesnt really make sense.. why do we have to move them away from football??? what we need to do is make them go and watch RL.. its not an either/or situation.. the seasons overlap a bit yes but why cant we have both..

If you look at the coverage in Sheffield it is pretty shocking.. but this can be worked on, 2 grand finals and 1 win can be used to try and attract the fans.. this is some of the hard work that the club have to do over the winter. Last couple of years the club has been getting into the schools.. that may ramp up a setp or two and with this success it may help. My little boy does a "play ball Rugby" session which Jack Howeison runs with help from some of the other players on a Saturday morning (my boy is only 4).. I take him and chat to some of the other dads, some of which i have known through nursery etc. All of which now that their kids are getting into Rugby are showing an interest in the club Jack is playing for, i am try to take advantage of that and next year will take a trip of these dads to a game. 1 anecdote yes but Jack does these sessions all over Sheffield, how many others may be doing the same as me. Some of these sessions are into the private schools here too.. money men starting to get an interest perhaps..

again its very much clutching at straws and anecdotes but its interest and from small acorns etc. yes a lot of work has to be done, but its not necessarily all done and dusted just yet..

What i would say is that Eagles ought to apply this time around, with a view to the next one but to get an idea of where they are and what they need to do.. but i dont see why Sheffield cannot grow into a good club with a good solid base.. just as good as umpteen clubs already in the league who have had a good long time to become "power houses".

for those on P&R bandwagons.. it would be THE WORST thing to happen to sheffield next year IMO, they would desperately try to stay up spending money on the team and not having any to spend on the more important aspects of a "club"... more than that with P&R who ever came down last year would probably have won this year and so clubs like the eagles wouldnt have the chance for a bit of success to try and build things from...

anyway fact is box is ticked, they are allowed to apply so let them.. if they fall well short then so be it, if they dont and they get let in the lets, as this big RL family every so "admires", get behind them and hope it succeeds.

#166 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

When will they be ready then. I cant see crowds improving dramatically under the current ridiculous way of selecting a promoted team. You could have the best marketing team in the world but it will be almost impossible to convince your man on the street in Sheffield to go to games which are meaningless, especially in a city used to promotion and relegation.

The other problem is that Sheffield could actually go downhill next year on the pitch and momentum would be lost. This would be a crying shame. Would have been wonderful if the Eagles has been rightfully promoted this year

no it wouldnt... we would have had a year of getting shelackings (thanks stevo) and crowds dwiddling becuase we are getting tonked week in week out.. spending money we dont have on players to try and stay up instead of concentrating on the important things like academies and sustainability.

Yes the first paragraph is tough if that attitude prevails but from talking to people in the city (shocking this) they dont see an issue when you tell them how it actually works, many see it as eminantly sensible.. its just then getting those people through the gates, and they are working hard on that to be honest..

you have a very negative view on liscencing but it is not necessarily true of many..

#167 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

For those on P&R bandwagons.. it would be THE WORST thing to happen to sheffield next year IMO, they would desperately try to stay up spending money on the team and not having any to spend on the more important aspects of a "club"...

Can you enlarge on that in a letter and send it to the rather brilliant sports administrator Andy Burnham MP........

#168 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

But basically Cas are £2M in debt and owe a large tax bill then?

Tell you when the accounts are filed sometime next year ...... :wacko: :lol:

#169 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

OK so let's say over the years they have had a couple of crackerjacks from Barnsley, and a couple of promising kids from Sheffield and Derbyshire. Would that make them a good proposition for Superleague?

when i grew up in sheffield the school i was in had to travel to the likes of wakefield to play Rugby there were very few playing either code in sheffield.. now there are a number of schools playing rugby of one form or an other (tag, union, league).. i am surprised by how many to be honest from when i left... and even from the late 90's this has changed massivly.. with a super league team this could be exploited more so than it is at the moment.. look how long it has taken other areas to do this... i am not saying it will work but to discount it as a possiblity is going against what both you and i have said about london, ie that they have only really been going at the youth since 2000 and may be a bit after so they are doing well and they have been in super league in that time.. eagles have not and have only been in existence in this guise since 2000!

#170 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I agree about Don Valley Stadium and, for different reasons, Bramall Lane.

Personally though, I reckon the new(ish) stadium at Chesterfield might be a better bet, particularly if the club is serious in its aim to 'claim' the midlands.

http://www.theproactstadium.co.uk/

Its a good stadium.. but its a "sheffield" team so one would think it would need a change of this to really be able to kick this on... i wouldnt necessrily be against that but i dont know what to to not alienate different people... would be interesting.

#171 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

In that guise - happen. But Sheffield have had a Rugby League team for 28 years now.

When I was a kid, I don't recall people referring to Whitehaven or Workington as "new teams" and they'd been going a lot less than 28 years.

#172 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Can you enlarge on that in a letter and send it to the rather brilliant sports administrator Andy Burnham MP........

did it a bit ago.. pointing out that both have their merits and that maybe its time to give a different way of working a chance before burning it like a heretic!

#173 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

In that guise - happen. But Sheffield have had a Rugby League team for 28 years now.

When I was a kid, I don't recall people referring to Whitehaven or Workington as "new teams" and they'd been going a lot less than 28 years.

yes but times have changed in what the teams now have to do to be "successes"... havea structure, turning over £xyz.. back then (dark ages?) turning over enough to pay broken time and a rent was fine.. now you must have juniors etc etc etc..
Also the shafting of sheffield damaged the sport in the city (as much as it had a consciousness).. and as with London and other expansion until the late 90s RL was difficult to even try for all those at union clubs so cutting off supply at junior/amateur level etc..
basically it has only really been going after youth for the same length of time as say London, who are only just starting to see the fruits of its labour, and London have had the Super League club + umpteen development officers etc to help them out.. Sheffield have not.

#174 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Sheffield Eagles Director and former RFL President John Whaling has issued a statement expressing his concern over the RFL's commitment to Rugby League in South Yorkshire.

Posted Image

#175 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

That rather suggests that the RFL have some commitment.

#176 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Basically (Sheffield) has only really been going after youth for the same length of time as say London, who are only just starting to see the fruits of its labour, and London have had the Super League club + umpteen development officers etc to help them out.. Sheffield have not.

Thanks for your views and the usual well balanced and thoughtful approach to them.

Certainly London have had several advantages over Sheffield and of course you forget the biggest one. Mr, Hughes and up to £1,500,000 of private money each year to run an SL club and fund the academy player development - to a point.

The reason for London producing several quality SL players whilst Sheffield have produced none is that London has the money and Sheffield do not. It may also be as you say there's more development officers in London than in Sheffield.

If all things were even who would produce the most SL quality juniors? If anyone wants to argue Sheffield then that's fine.

BUT it doesn't change the realty on the ground that Eagles have a very small junior RL base, and no money.

#177 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Did it a bit ago.. pointing out that both (licensing and P & R( have their merits and that maybe its time to give a different way of working a chance before burning it like a heretic!

I do not understand the "different way" is that P & R??

If so we gave it a chance for 34 years.

RL World analysed it's value recently and declared it was right to burn it at the stake.

You yourself stated it would not have worked this year.

Clubs who missed out on being promoted in recent years have had the exact same lack of money Sheffield have which you cited was the reason it would not work this time.

I don't understand "give it a chance"? To do what? Put clubs into SL who can't afford it and remove clubs who can??

Edited by The Parksider, 10 October 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#178 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

I do not understand the "different way" is that P & R??

If so we gave it a chance for 34 years.

RL World analysed it's value recently and declared it was right to burn it at the stake.

You yourself stated it would not have worked this year.

Clubs who missed out on being promoted in recent years have had the exact same lack of money Sheffield have which you cited was the reason it would not work this time.

I don't understand "give it a chance"? To do what? Put clubs into SL who can't afford it and remove clubs who can??

Can i suggest that you ask the first question, wait for the answer, then go on with the rest of the post.. as my answer would have been that i meant liscencing needed to be given a chance which is my normal and general stance... i normally get a "your clubs in there" retort from some which i never understand.. i think the "london" in my username is confusing some..

i agree with you on this that P&R didnt work and it would not have done sheffield any good this time around IMO and that IF they were granted a liscence the fact it is a 3 years liscence gives them the best chance of making it work..

Thanks for your views and the usual well balanced and thoughtful approach to them.

Certainly London have had several advantages over Sheffield and of course you forget the biggest one. Mr, Hughes and up to £1,500,000 of private money each year to run an SL club and fund the academy player development - to a point.

The reason for London producing several quality SL players whilst Sheffield have produced none is that London has the money and Sheffield do not. It may also be as you say there's more development officers in London than in Sheffield.

If all things were even who would produce the most SL quality juniors? If anyone wants to argue Sheffield then that's fine.

BUT it doesn't change the realty on the ground that Eagles have a very small junior RL base, and no money.

I hope you dont mind me putting the two posts together to make one "super" post..

with regards the other post (above) I dont know who would have the strongest set of juniors all things being equal, its impossible to say but i can say the Sheffields would be stronger than it is now.

I also agree that it doesnt change the reality on the ground... however, chicken and egg... over the past god know show many years and posts that you and i have discussed all things RL and Junior RL/Development we often speak about the potential of an area rather than what is actually happening at the moment. What i have seen in Sheffield from moving away in the mid 90's first to uni then London and moving back now is an utter sea change in what is offered to the kids in terms of sport. Rugby has grown exponentially (and personally until about 14-15 i dont see the two as massivly different) there are schools playing the sport now that would not have been able to before becuase there are umpteen companies offering lessons and outside help for the schools. I have seen development and helped out with it (not as much as i would have liked but family takes priority). It is totally different. How different could this be with the resources say London has and spread across the whole of south Yorkshire and the North Midlands.. arguablly from this Doncaster and Sheffield could benefit along with the potential rise of other clubs in other areas..

This is an argument i could roll out in London with the names of hte areas changing.. the difference being the mileage.. and the sounds of the names.. when someone is named as a Sheffield product people say he is from Barnsley... and they are not wrong.. but LMS was from Greenwich not from Brentford/Twickenham.. totally different boroughs etc.. we have to remove the towns and cities and see what work is being done within the clubs.

now all this is huge speculation and very open to people picking holes in it becuase we frankly do not and cannot know what would happen if things were different (very nature of the beast) but to rule out or even start the argument of "Sheffield do not produce Super League standard players" as a stick to beat us with us hugely unfair as that is not in Sheffields remit, and there are plenty of other areas that do not either.. but could Sheffield given the opportunity.. hell yes.. they open up an area to RL, they have a big catchment to which they are already working etc..

Give them a chance before writing them off on junior development, they are doing what they can with what they have and doing a good job. There are plenty of other things to write Sheffield out of a liscence but I believe the Junior Development is making big strides forward and are putting some other clubs (in the heartlands no less) to shame. There is potential there, and that is enough for other clubs..

Money wise, at the moment no.. but it doesnt mean it wont come and surely if in the proposal scrutineered by an accountant we can make it work without the massive backer that surely is a good thing.. there are plenty of clubs with a backer who are struggling. a club SHOULD work by spending what it earns.. and if we can do that and make it work surely we should be applauded not looked at with "where is the money coming from"..

Eagles have said they are a ways off.. and maybe that is the money man.. but for the moment how about we praise what is happening in Sheffield and the potential of this area that may be about to start growing as it didnt even with a Super League team rather than at the first mention saying boooo go away you have no money and no junior development booo.. there are plenty like us who have had 150 years to get this right.. no one at Eagles is running before they can walk but there are a few people on here (i know you are not one) who assume we are trying to.

#179 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

no it wouldnt... we would have had a year of getting shelackings (thanks stevo) and crowds dwiddling becuase we are getting tonked week in week out.. spending money we dont have on players to try and stay up instead of concentrating on the important things like academies and sustainability.

Yes the first paragraph is tough if that attitude prevails but from talking to people in the city (shocking this) they dont see an issue when you tell them how it actually works, many see it as eminantly sensible.. its just then getting those people through the gates, and they are working hard on that to be honest..

you have a very negative view on liscencing but it is not necessarily true of many..

Why would the club suddenly spend money it doesnt have it was promoted under P&R?Perhaps they would spend the significantly extra revenues from bigger crowds and sky money wisely? Perhaps some players could stay part time - I would bet theyd still win at least as many as the ill prepared Widnes

#180 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Just started reading this thread. Got here and thought i ought to reply so sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Was talking to a friend about this over the weekend.. What has changed? the football sides have plumeted down the leagues, Wednesday have nearly gone under and United are pretty poor at the moment. when we won the challenge cup Wednesday had had a good run in the Premier League, the league cup win of 91 and the final of 93 along with the FA Cup final of 93 were not that distant a memory banks along wth good years in the premiership, United also had years in the premiership to remember, an fa cup semi in 93 and one against newcastle in the not too distant. People really thought the football teams were going to kick on.

Now both are rubbish and many many moons away from any chance of glory (unless wednesday some how have a run in the fa cup this year ala millwall from a few years ago) but with the right marketing etc the fans could (but i stress could) turn their attention to RL for success..

a few people have said on here about moving fans away from football and to RL.. but that doesnt really make sense.. why do we have to move them away from football??? what we need to do is make them go and watch RL.. its not an either/or situation.. the seasons overlap a bit yes but why cant we have both..

If you look at the coverage in Sheffield it is pretty shocking.. but this can be worked on, 2 grand finals and 1 win can be used to try and attract the fans.. this is some of the hard work that the club have to do over the winter. Last couple of years the club has been getting into the schools.. that may ramp up a setp or two and with this success it may help. My little boy does a "play ball Rugby" session which Jack Howeison runs with help from some of the other players on a Saturday morning (my boy is only 4).. I take him and chat to some of the other dads, some of which i have known through nursery etc. All of which now that their kids are getting into Rugby are showing an interest in the club Jack is playing for, i am try to take advantage of that and next year will take a trip of these dads to a game. 1 anecdote yes but Jack does these sessions all over Sheffield, how many others may be doing the same as me. Some of these sessions are into the private schools here too.. money men starting to get an interest perhaps..

again its very much clutching at straws and anecdotes but its interest and from small acorns etc. yes a lot of work has to be done, but its not necessarily all done and dusted just yet..

What i would say is that Eagles ought to apply this time around, with a view to the next one but to get an idea of where they are and what they need to do.. but i dont see why Sheffield cannot grow into a good club with a good solid base.. just as good as umpteen clubs already in the league who have had a good long time to become "power houses".

for those on P&R bandwagons.. it would be THE WORST thing to happen to sheffield next year IMO, they would desperately try to stay up spending money on the team and not having any to spend on the more important aspects of a "club"... more than that with P&R who ever came down last year would probably have won this year and so clubs like the eagles wouldnt have the chance for a bit of success to try and build things from...

anyway fact is box is ticked, they are allowed to apply so let them.. if they fall well short then so be it, if they dont and they get let in the lets, as this big RL family every so "admires", get behind them and hope it succeeds.

The problem with licence applications is that it is very difficult to dislodge an entenched SL incumbent ( In fact, it has never been done ). Any applicant is starting from a point of weakness in that they are competing against SL clubs who have had years to solidify their position and have had the benefit of Sky cash to help them along.

P and R however with automatic promotion, as you states, puts you on the yo/yo syndrome ladder spending money you don't have in order to survive.

To me, the obvious answer is promotion with standards. In other words, any club wanting promotion to SL has to win the championship and then satisfy the same criteria as are required of a licence applicant. If they don't, there is no promotion that season.

The difference between the two scenarios is that, if you win the Championship AND satisfy the licencing criteria, you will be guaranteed promotion and not be thrown into the crapshoot licencing process with no guarantee of SL due to the vagaries of that system, competing with existing SL clubs with friends in high places.

The bottom SL club should go down due to their lack of success on the field. If this sometimes throws up a yo yo team, then so be it. It will not always.

Thus this season, since Sheffield cannot tick all the boxes, especially on finance, then they would not be eligible for promotion. However, if say Featherstone had won or, down the road, Sheffield find the financing and win the championship, then they would know they were up, no ifs and buts and random licencing applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users