Bolton

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,987 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Isn't he Colin Clarke's son? I presume that Colin Clarke was from Wigan, I think he signed from Wigan RUFC.

The old players books have him coming from Wigan and signing from Orrell

#22 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

i meant in terms of structures. both Bury and Bolton have very good junior set ups with both (i think) running every age group and also, both have pretty good facilities. add the strength of Sedgley Park (all ages except U13s and effectively, a pro set-up as good as some Champ 1 sides at open age!) and it's very hard to convince a kid into rugby league when football is the dominant sport of choice (there are more football sides in the Bury/Bolton football league than in the entire NW rugby league!) and the RU set-ups are so good.

Don't know about Bolton but having spent time at Bury CC I have seen the RU club training quite a lot and the juniors do seem to do well for numbers - i assume that any good players are hoovered up by the likes of Sedgley Park.

Bury though has never really had a rugby history unlike say, Rochdale or Oldham where kids often follow their parents into either of the two codes and only rarely is there any movement between the two. (Although 20 years ago there were a lot of RU youngsters giving RL a go particularly at Mayfield; Littleborough and Milnrow).

At lot of parents like to see good facilities so if Bury RL were able to get to the same standard as the RU this could be a big fillip for them.

Keep up the good work at Bury Broncos - I'm sure that you will be successful.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#23 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Wasn`t Des Drummond (and his brother Alva) from Bolton? Also, although not players, both the writer Geoffrey Moorhouse and Wigan's Maurice Lindsay were from Bolton.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Des_Drummond
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,033 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Isn't he Colin Clarke's son? I presume that Colin Clarke was from Wigan, I think he signed from Wigan RUFC.

Where was his dad from??

His dad is Colin Clarke former Wigan hooker, Colin was born in Wigan and played for the Orrell Union Club which is where Wigan signed him from.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Don't know about Bolton but having spent time at Bury CC I have seen the RU club training quite a lot and the juniors do seem to do well for numbers - i assume that any good players are hoovered up by the likes of Sedgley Park.

Bury though has never really had a rugby history unlike say, Rochdale or Oldham where kids often follow their parents into either of the two codes and only rarely is there any movement between the two. (Although 20 years ago there were a lot of RU youngsters giving RL a go particularly at Mayfield; Littleborough and Milnrow).

At lot of parents like to see good facilities so if Bury RL were able to get to the same standard as the RU this could be a big fillip for them.

i've been actively looking at a broad range of facility options for some months but we can't jump to significantly better facilities in my view without it being a significant liability on the club. it's OK building something, but maintaining it and investing in it over time is the issue and we'll need to have a larger base in terms of sides and players to support that. our approach in setting up teams is to do so at as low a cost as possible to encourage participation - this year, we charged £1 per session, and no regsitration fee to join our new U9s and U11s - we'll change that next year but we still wouldnt have enough of a bse to fullr run a facility dedictaed to just us. So...to have sustainable growth, we'll need to slowly develop our infrastructures. and if anyone reading this is remotely interested - email contact@burybroncos.co.uk as to grow more we need more coaches and more support volunteers. We're running a primary school festival today for Yr 4/5 - the Yr 5 kids can play in an existing team but the younger ones will qualify as U8s next year which = a new team if there are enough interested and that'll mean new coaches and volunteers again.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#26 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

as it happens...Bolton School have hosted a Yr 7 qualification Rd. today for Champion Schools.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#27 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

I think Yorkshire was almost all Rugby prior to the split with the exception of the Sheffield area which played a version of soccer. I think it might have been called Sheffield rules or some such.

Sheffield was where the round ball game started with Sheffield FC, formed in 1857. They wrote the first rule book and it went for an absolute fortune at auction recently, securing the long term future of the club.

They played Hallam FC tonight in the world's oldest derby of any football code, first played in 1860.

Think that answers why Sheffield went with the round ball!

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#28 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

i've been actively looking at a broad range of facility options for some months but we can't jump to significantly better facilities in my view without it being a significant liability on the club. it's OK building something, but maintaining it and investing in it over time is the issue and we'll need to have a larger base in terms of sides and players to support that. our approach in setting up teams is to do so at as low a cost as possible to encourage participation - this year, we charged £1 per session, and no regsitration fee to join our new U9s and U11s - we'll change that next year but we still wouldnt have enough of a bse to fullr run a facility dedictaed to just us. So...to have sustainable growth, we'll need to slowly develop our infrastructures. and if anyone reading this is remotely interested - email contact@burybroncos.co.uk as to grow more we need more coaches and more support volunteers. We're running a primary school festival today for Yr 4/5 - the Yr 5 kids can play in an existing team but the younger ones will qualify as U8s next year which = a new team if there are enough interested and that'll mean new coaches and volunteers again.

Great to hear.

Keep up the good work.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#29 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

The other Yorkshire soccer clubs were part of a football league expansion movement including Leeds City, the forerunner of Leeds United. Rugby was weakened in it s attempts to counteract this soccer expansion by the division of the great split.

It's amazing to think that Leeds once had seven teams in the city. Holbeck played at what became Elland road and folded when they found it was no longer financially viable to carry on.
There was also Leeds Parish Church, they played on Clarence Road for those of us who know that area - I suspect they would have been great rivals to Hunslet.
Along with these three were Wortley, Bramley, Kirkstall and Leeds St John's (who became Leeds RL).

Edited by stewpot01, 14 October 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#30 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

It's amazing to think that Leeds once had seven teams in the city. Holbeck played at what became Elland road and folded when they found it was no longer financially viable to carry on.
There was also Leeds Parish Church, they played on Clarence Road for those of us who know that area - I suspect they would have been great rivals to Hunslet.
Along with these three were Wortley, Bramley, Kirkstall and Leeds St John's (who became Leeds RL).

There are chapters in various books and articles but Leeds Parish Church were once the dominant force in Rl in Leeds, way bigger than the Headingley club. They drew a couple of 20,000 crowds. They were, as their name suggests, affiliated with the C of E and were shut down by a RU loving vicar or bishop or some such. They virtually disappeared overnight. I guess that helped the soccer as Elland Road is just around the corner from the Parish Church area.

#31 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

There are chapters in various books and articles but Leeds Parish Church were once the dominant force in Rl in Leeds, way bigger than the Headingley club. They drew a couple of 20,000 crowds. They were, as their name suggests, affiliated with the C of E and were shut down by a RU loving vicar or bishop or some such. They virtually disappeared overnight. I guess that helped the soccer as Elland Road is just around the corner from the Parish Church area.

Not really. The Leeds Parish Church is close by to the bus station and where they played was around the area of the Royal armories (I grew up in Hunslet and know the area extremely well) and it is not really that close to ER (in fact Wortley would have been closer to Holbeck in some respects) and would have been closer to Parkisde.
Many of the players in the early days were Jewish who were frowned upon by their faith for breaking their Shabbat.

It would be interesting if I could find out where on Clarence Road they played but the redevelopment of the area these past few decades may well have put and end to such a matter.

Edited by stewpot01, 14 October 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#32 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Not really. The Leeds Parish Church is close by to the bus station and where they played was around the area of the Royal armories (I grew up in Hunslet and know the area extremely well) and it is not really that close to ER (in fact Wortley would have been closer to Holbeck in some respects) and would have been closer to Parkisde.
Many of the players in the early days were Jewish who were frowned upon by their faith for breaking their Shabbat.

It would be interesting if I could find out where on Clarence Road they played but the redevelopment of the area these past few decades may well have put and end to such a matter.

I yield to your knowledge of the geography of Leeds, but even so, Elland Road is not that far away, is it.

On the grounds location. From what I have read, it was in an area called Crown Point and I am sure I have heard that this was on an island in the river or canal in that area. I think they might have had a nickname simething like :" T. lads from over T bridge" because of that.

#33 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I yield to your knowledge of the geography of Leeds, but even so, Elland Road is not that far away, is it.

On the grounds location. From what I have read, it was in an area called Crown Point and I am sure I have heard that this was on an island in the river or canal in that area. I think they might have had a nickname simething like :" T. lads from over T bridge" because of that.

I agree ER is not that far away but your theory on Crown Point is an interesting one. Crown point road still exists, it's close by to the now defunct Tetley's brewery, and there is a small estate there which has some retail companies on site.
" T. lads from over T bridge" would not be out of place. the Leeds bridge was seen as something of a barrier between north and south Leeds - the 'south' been a more industrial area. I heard my late grandfather speak of it in terms of rugby, it was almost a given that you would support or play for Hunslet (and earlier LPC) if you were born south of the river and anything else was unthinkable. I had a great uncle (George Dennis) who was approached by Leeds & Hunslet and am told that his father almost came to blows with him when he was undecided (he did of course sign for Hunslet).

I am not too sure of an 'island' in that area (I don't have maps going back that far) and it does say Clarence road from what I have read. The area along there would certainly have been big enough to have accommodated a rugby ground.

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,987 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

I am not too sure of an 'island' in that area (I don't have maps going back that far) and it does say Clarence road from what I have read. The area along there would certainly have been big enough to have accommodated a rugby ground.

Go onto Old maps and bring up a map for Leeds from the time. Along Clarence road between the river and the road is "football ground" later it's a timber yard. The ground was narrow, and someone else property so it's loss contributed to the clubs downfall.

Go up and across on the 1900's map to east leeds and you'll find the ground of Saville Green who giant killed Bramley in the NU cup.

#35 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Go onto Old maps and bring up a map for Leeds from the time. Along Clarence road between the river and the road is "football ground" later it's a timber yard. The ground was narrow, and someone else property so it's loss contributed to the clubs downfall.

Go up and across on the 1900's map to east leeds and you'll find the ground of Saville Green who giant killed Bramley in the NU cup.

Thanks Parky. I found the timber yard, also there was a recreation ground opposite the chemical works. my grandparents had friends living on that road in the 60's. The factory's where the timber yard stood are still there, the rest of the road [ what had been the chem works and later where the houses stood] towards South Accommodation road are now industrial units, while the ground opposite (where the rec was) is still derelict - I cannot remember what was there in the 60's.

Edited by stewpot01, 16 October 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#36 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Closest club to there now must be East Leeds up at Richmond Hill, I can't think of any closer. The amount of development in that area since I left in the 90s is phenomenal, it's like Crown Point Bridge has been transplanted to a new city. Now the brewery's closed, I suppose the area's ripe for a new round of renewal whenever anyone gets some money to hand.

#37 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Closest club to there now must be East Leeds up at Richmond Hill, I can't think of any closer. The amount of development in that area since I left in the 90s is phenomenal, it's like Crown Point Bridge has been transplanted to a new city. Now the brewery's closed, I suppose the area's ripe for a new round of renewal whenever anyone gets some money to hand.

Yes they are, and doing well ATM. They have always had good teams, especially in their junior set up.(I used to like refereeing there).
In the past the Garden Gate, Brassmoulders and Station all had good teams too. Mick Shoebottom was coaching one of the two latter a few years back [memory prevents me from remembering exactly which one]. I remember chatting with him, a very decent bloke.

Edited by stewpot01, 16 October 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#38 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I meant to look up the Leeds PC ground in Trevor Delaneys book " the Grounds of Rugby league". I think that is where I read the bit about the ground being on an island. If I recall, the timber yard was also mentioned. I will check it out when I get back home and post what information is actually in the book.

#39 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I meant to look up the Leeds PC ground in Trevor Delaneys book " the Grounds of Rugby league". I think that is where I read the bit about the ground being on an island. If I recall, the timber yard was also mentioned. I will check it out when I get back home and post what information is actually in the book.

Thanks keighley, that's much appreciated :)

#40 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Yes they are, and doing well ATM. They have always had good teams, especially in their junior set up.(I used to like refereeing there).
In the past the Garden Gate, Brassmoulders and Station all had good teams too. Mick Shoebottom was coaching one of the two latter a few years back [memory prevents me from remembering exactly which one]. I remember chatting with him, a very decent bloke.

Bet you didn't referee the under-18s in the mid-90s then, we were a bunch of arseholes... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users