Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tours at this stage of the season

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 therapist

therapist
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

What are the thoughts of players and coaches on the English Lions tour of Canada at this stage of the season??

#2 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hooray, Hooray its a Holli Holliday.
Its nice to be important, but never forget its important to be nice!!!

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Who is the Coach, Management committee who are travelling with the squad?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Who is the Coach, Management committee who are travelling with the squad?

Nothing to do with the NCL before you add petrol to the fire.

#5 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

I read somewhere that the Canadians played the British Army and were comprehenisively beaten so why are we taking an English Lions squad there, is this another meaningless tour ,I thought BARLA had the monopoly there ?

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Nothing to do with the NCL before you add petrol to the fire.

OK, Who have the RFL appointed?

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I read somewhere that the Canadians played the British Army and were comprehenisively beaten so why are we taking an English Lions squad there, is this another meaningless tour ,I thought BARLA had the monopoly there ?

Was that a British Army side that was training at BATUS?

#8 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Well I suppose we could just send ###### teams, or we could give them something to aspire to.

In the 80s when the Aussies came over and destroyed us, we aimed to catch them up rather than deciding they were too good and giving up.

#9 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

And in the 80s we were the British Lions so we could not live with them so what do we do water our rep sides to take us further behind . So lets organise games against emerging nations and make our performance department look good yeah good un .

Edited by TaxiEgg, 05 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#10 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Theres never a happy medium its either tours where the teams arent good enough to beat the counties let alone BARLA or teams that are so much better that again the games arent competitive - Surely we should always be looking to France for competition?
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#11 Guardsman

Guardsman
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Has anyone heard how The Lions are going on? Any scores ?

#12 billybison

billybison
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Has anyone heard how The Lions are going on? Any scores ?

They dont kick off until midnite

#13 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Theres never a happy medium its either tours where the teams arent good enough to beat the counties let alone BARLA or teams that are so much better that again the games arent competitive - Surely we should always be looking to France for competition?

You are spot on , that is the point i,m making meaningless tours serve no purpose. We should have a proper structure in place we have been doing it long enough .

#14 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Lions won 68-4 i was told?

#15 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

Its always a difficult one when players miss club matches whilst on representative duty, happens to many clubs and hits the most-succesful clubs the hardest as they have the best players!

Would not say it was meaningless tho, the players will have had an experience of a lifetime (9in terms of their playing careeer) and a 5,000 plus crowd shows that Canada are making good progress and may become a force in the next few years

#16 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

Its always a difficult one when players miss club matches whilst on representative duty, happens to many clubs and hits the most-succesful clubs the hardest as they have the best players!

Would not say it was meaningless tho, the players will have had an experience of a lifetime (9in terms of their playing careeer) and a 5,000 plus crowd shows that Canada are making good progress and may become a force in the next few years

'hits the most-succesful clubs the hardest as they have the best players!'

not necessarily, depends who the mangement and coaches are and where there from.

#17 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

i agree, this is a utterly pointless tour, what purpose does this tour serve, taking the elite players at the pinnacle of conference season is absurd

the sooner there is only one Rep side made up of the best players (not a jolly boys outing as both are becoming ) the better, tours where the English/GB totally demolish a fledgling nation are pointless, in my opinion there are only 3 places to go, Australia, New Zealand and the South Sea's

I would guess that there has been more than 1 million pounds spent on tours to Russia, Jamaica, Ukraine, Usa, Canada ect..... over the last decade by various rep sides, with little to show for it other than a good holiday

This needs sorting pronto!

#18 Dessie O'Hare

Dessie O'Hare
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

I would guess that there has been more than 1 million pounds spent on tours to Russia, Jamaica, Ukraine, Usa, Canada ect..... over the last decade by various rep sides, with little to show for it other than a good holiday

This needs sorting pronto!

Turkeys vote for Xmas shocker !!!
"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

#19 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

One GB team with the best players only selected is the way forward and only tours that will give meaningful games! And sort out eligibility - We have the ridiculous situation were young ex pros cant play for BARLA GB yet every year they take folk like Mark Hewitt, Darren Carter, Mark Forster etc who have had testimonials in the pro game to play for BARLA over 35's in Dubai at the expense of lads who have played amateur for twenty odd years, so we have no incentive for young ex pros to return to the game but reward those at the end of there careers!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#20 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Again to play in a Rugby Union tournament, its a jolly end of

The Structure should have only 2 teams at international level, Open Age and U21's

They should be coached by totally independent coaching staff with no affiliation to a club, if they want the selection process it should be Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria, Best of the Rest, all in a round robin. The scouting should be done by an independent network of scouts (probably 6-8 could see enough games)

If this was the format and the tours had the level of funding the RFL puts into the Community Lions then we would have a strong Rep side rather than various splinter groups, as it stands most players at some point have honors with some rep team or another

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users