Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wayne Rooney

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Wayne Rooney has just tweeted the extordinary rugby ad to his 5 million followers

Good work

#2 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

He often bigs-up Rugby League. You cant put a price on his endorsements of the game. Well, you probably could but it wouldn't be cheap.

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,007 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

There's a lot of people on twitter that like RL that you might not expect. Gareth Southgate for example.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

The RL should invite famous people who already like RL, place them in prominent places and make sure the cameras zoom in on them and the pundits big up their love of the Game..............that would hopefully encourage impressional younger crowd to go to games to see their idols and get hooked and become fellow converts.

#5 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Absolutely,I'm not a fan of Rooney,but he has an enormous following - as does Ferdinand.Surely could be made better use of for the World Cup.

#6 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

I remember seeing Gordon Strachan in an interview say he always made sure he was home early after training on a friday to make sure he saw the SL game, said it was the best sport in the world.

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

I remember seeing Gordon Strachan in an interview say he always made sure he was home early after training on a friday to make sure he saw the SL game, said it was the best sport in the world.

I sat next to Gordon Strachan at Elland Road at a semifinal (I think) when he was playing for Leeds United.

Told me he loved the game - never missed a chance to watch.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

I sat next to Gordon Strachan at Elland Road at a semifinal (I think) when he was playing for Leeds United.

Told me he loved the game - never missed a chance to watch.

I remember that game, it was a challenge cup semi between Leeds and Bradford I think early 90s, also remember nick Faldo at wembley for the finals throughout the 90s. Also Peter Beardsley and Peter Reid are rugby league fans and can remember former arsenal midfielder Paul merson saying he liked rugby league.

#9 AuroraXIII

AuroraXIII
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

In the Mail today it says that Rooney visited the Leeds players at The Midland hotel on Friday to wish them luck and is a big Rhinos fan.

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

I remember seeing man utd and england fullback Paul Parker(that deflection in the semis italia 90) in the sky sports studio with Eddie and steveo at central park for a Wigan v saints game, said he loved the game. There must be dozens of footballers and other sports personalities that like the game that could help raise the profile of our game.

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

In the Mail today it says that Rooney visited the Leeds players at The Midland hotel on Friday to wish them luck and is a big Rhinos fan.

I would have thought saints would have been his nearest team but I'm not complaining anybody that supports our game is alright in my book.

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I would have thought saints would have been his nearest team but I'm not complaining anybody that supports our game is alright in my book.

Ryan Bailey mentioned this yesterday and stated he's a Man U fan. Got a few boos from the crowd, but what can you say, he does what he wants...
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Ryan Bailey mentioned this yesterday and stated he's a Man U fan. Got a few boos from the crowd, but what can you say, he does what he wants...

Which is exactly what he said.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#14 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Which is exactly what he said.

In my defence, I said it to the person next to me before he did!

Edited by brooza, 08 October 2012 - 10:41 AM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#15 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

I remember George Best at a Salford game back in the 70's just after they won the Championship, but he couldn't get to too many games as the Reds used to play on a Friday before Utd played on the Saturday, my cousin used to work in the Willows Variety Centre & used to see him there regularly
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

A quick Twitter search shows Graeme Swann wishing luck to Wire. Tom Cleverley, Andy Gomarsall, Gary Barlow, Didi Hamann and Lizzie Armitstead also tweeted about the GF.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hopefully someone from the rugby league publicity/marketing department,has made a note of the various names.I'm sure there will be many others too.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

The Brownlee brothers, to name but two.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

I think this is where Twitter has huge advantages for RL.

Rooney regularly tweets positively about RL and 5 million followers means 5 million people hear about the game that otherwise may not have.

Same goes for Rio Ferdinands 3.5 million followers.

Before twitter, how many times would other sportsmen and women be asked about RL or give their opinion on RL. Twitter is creating more and more publicity for the game through glowing endorsements celebrating the bravery, skill, drama of our players and the game in general. It creates a buzz about the game that you cant put a price on!

#20 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Now that rugby league journalists appear to be allowed no more than 140 characters by their national newspaper editors, Wayne Rooney's tweets are indeed priceless - however, can someone explain to me why Rooney writes "Sinfield is a joke...?"

Is this similar to "bad" meaning "good" - or does he mean simply that Sinfield's man-of-the-match selection is a "joke?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users