Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wayne Rooney

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I don't have access to Twitter at the moment, but from memory in the context of the tweet which was praising Leeds as a whole, I took it to mean Sinfield is so good, it's a joke - so a bad is good thing, yes.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 08 October 2012 - 02:15 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#22 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

I don't have access to Twitter at the moment, but from memory in the context of the tweet which was praising Leeds as a whole, I took it to mean Sinfield is so good, it's a joke - so a bad is good thing, yes.

Agreed, he was praising Leeds so was meant as a compliment. Similar to how the aussies often use the word "freak" to describe players such as Billy Slater or Ben Barba.

#23 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

In the Mail today it says that Rooney visited the Leeds players at The Midland hotel on Friday to wish them luck and is a big Rhinos fan.

Rooney becaome a rhinos fan from 2007.there was a pic from the YEP on saturday with all the players.He was at last years GF at OT.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#24 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Famous people tweeting postively about RL has been going on for some time now...yet, i have not seen SLE/RFL try and make something positive out of this. Unbelievable!

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#25 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Famous people tweeting postively about RL has been going on for some time now...yet, i have not seen SLE/RFL try and make something positive out of this. Unbelievable!

How do you propose they do it. Its easy to say they should use x, y or z celeb to promote the game its a different thing all together when you start having to pay for image rights and endorsement statements.

You can't just knock out an advert with a picture of Rooney on it and a quote from him.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#26 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Rooney could probably buy a SL club for a week's wages.

#27 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

How do you propose they do it. Its easy to say they should use x, y or z celeb to promote the game its a different thing all together when you start having to pay for image rights and endorsement statements.

You can't just knock out an advert with a picture of Rooney on it and a quote from him.

Even if it's something As simple like presenting celebrity x with a replica shirt infront of the UK media or inviting them too a few home games with an interview pre game or halftime with sky, always remember former England wicket keeper Alec Stewart being interviewed at halftime at a London broncos game at the valley pre twitter and tennis player stefan edberg at the stoop during the Richard Branson years, again pre twitter. If the media and fans of these celebrities knew before hand that they're going too attend a game it could be hyped up on these social meda outlets and some non rugby fans may turn up at matches just too get a glimpse of their idols?

#28 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Even if it's something As simple like presenting celebrity x with a replica shirt infront of the UK media or inviting them too a few home games with an interview pre game or halftime with sky, always remember former England wicket keeper Alec Stewart being interviewed at halftime at a London broncos game at the valley pre twitter and tennis player stefan edberg at the stoop during the Richard Branson years, again pre twitter. If the media and fans of these celebrities knew before hand that they're going too attend a game it could be hyped up on these social meda outlets and some non rugby fans may turn up at matches just too get a glimpse of their idols?

You answered for me walter ..
I rememebr that Russell Crowe was in the UK doing Robin Hood the same time as the grand final a few years back. Why didn't some one send him some free tickets to the final? Jesus, he could of been asked to present the trophy.

Edited by jacksy, 09 October 2012 - 01:14 AM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#29 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Now that rugby league journalists appear to be allowed no more than 140 characters by their national newspaper editors, Wayne Rooney's tweets are indeed priceless - however, can someone explain to me why Rooney writes "Sinfield is a joke...?"

Is this similar to "bad" meaning "good" - or does he mean simply that Sinfield's man-of-the-match selection is a "joke?"

I expect he meant that Sinny is so good its laughable

#30 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

You answered for me walter ..
I rememebr that Russell Crowe was in the UK doing Robin Hood the same time as the grand final a few years back. Why didn't some one send him some free tickets to the final? Jesus, he could of been asked to present the trophy.

Exactly, but that's too much like common sense, also going off on another subject but why doesn't the RFL give away 2000-3000 grand final tickets to school kids in Manchester, exposing them too top level rugby league?

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Exactly, but that's too much like common sense, also going off on another subject but why doesn't the RFL give away 2000-3000 grand final tickets to school kids in Manchester, exposing them too top level rugby league?

I'm pretty certain Russell Crowe was asked to attend the game but couldn't due to his filming schedule.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#32 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'm pretty certain Russell Crowe was asked to attend the game but couldn't due to his filming schedule.

Im glad you put that, I was about to say that just because he didnt go to the game doesnt mean he wasnt asked or that the RFL missed a trick etc.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

And how do you know that this hasn't been tried and he said 'no thanks' or "speak to my agent". You have to bare in mind that these people are there to watch the game and not there to endorse your product.

Maybe these 'celebs' will stop coming to games if every time they turn up it has been turned into a circus.

Edited by Padge, 09 October 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

As per my first post, Wayne Rooney sent a tweet saying '#extrodinaryrugby' and gave the link to the Rugby Advert

Do you really think he did that off his own back, someone has asked him to do that, thats very different to a tweet saying 'watching rugby league, great game'

So who ever got him to do it well done, 5 million is more than most TV programe are watched by

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Interestingly, the extraordinaryrugby youtube video has now been seen by over 216k people, miles ahead of any other rl video.

Getting tweeted by the likes of the RFU and Rooney must have helped, well done whoever led this..

#36 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

And how do you know that this hasn't been tried and he said 'no thanks' or "speak to my agent". You have to bare in mind that these people are there to watch the game and not there to endorse your product.

Maybe these 'celebs' will stop coming to games if every time they turn up it has been turned into a circus.

Quite. Funily enough few sports people enjoy watching their own game. They watch RL to relax and would stop coming if they were subjected to a hoard of fans at every turn.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#37 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Seem to remember Ryan Giggs being interviewed on the North West BBC news a few yers back before a GF and he said he loved RL and never misses a Grand Final

#38 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Seem to remember Ryan Giggs being interviewed on the North West BBC news a few yers back before a GF and he said he loved RL and never misses a Grand Final

Its hereditary. His dad played for Swinton. Ryan and I went to the same junior school.
.30 years apart though.. :D

#39 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

The Brownlee brothers, to name but two.

[plugmode]Alistair & Jonny Brownlee are interviewed by Jamie Jones-Buchanan in the new issue of Rugby League World on sale Fri 12 Oct. Worth a read.[/plugmode]

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users