Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Raiders website

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

You can not release information on the web site first. I delt with RC and nwem last season and the media must be kept on side with the club as this is a media that reaches far more people than the website. It is a battle even between these media to get the information out and that is why it is controlled by the club through the press officer and released to all with a time that they can release it. The problem is twitter and Facebook with the players signing or agreeing a contract then announcing things before the club through these social sites and this needs nipping in the bud by the director of rugby.
I know that the NWEM and RC have people monitoring these sites and as soon as its in that realm it is public knowledge and can be printed/announced.
The club can place a time of release on the announcement giving the website time to update as long as they don't put it online before that time given to other media.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#22 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

This is a potential minefield. Modern technology is outstripping the old. At the moment outlets such as the NWEM are still the market leader in terms of market share as distributors of news. As such they have to be pandered to to keep them sweet. But, increasingly people are turning to the newer forms of news distribution - social networks etc.
as time goes by the printed word will become less relevant. Within a very short space of time they will be dead and buried.
An example of this is my wife that would not know how to turn on a lap top but can use my iPad easily.
The days of hard copy are numbered and the challenge for the papers is to find a way to find a way to move their businesses forward.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#23 D11 WNK

D11 WNK
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I like the new website, but it could do with a few 'share' functionality links, like those at the bottom of this very page (eg Twitter, Facebook 'like' button, Google + etc).

Any chance of getting some of these added? You could share stories/news from the old website, so you should be able to do this via the new one.

I have asked the developer to add these and thanks for your ideas :rolleyes:

#24 D11 WNK

D11 WNK
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Surely the Official Club Website should always be the first point of release for any kind of news?

If you want to up date the site feel free to do so. See the board and they would welcome your input

#25 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

If you want to up date the site feel free to do so. See the board and they would welcome your input

You forgot to add this emoticon: :angry: .

:)

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#26 D11 WNK

D11 WNK
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

You forgot to add this emoticon: :angry: .

:)

oh yeah :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blink:

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Having several people operating the website might not be a bad idea if we want the website to be first for news updates. Obviously the people would have to be close to the club and know eachother well to make sure the same story isn't put on twice. I'd imagine its not easy to be upto date with everything when only one or two people are running it.

#28 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

To many cooks.....

#29 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

Ulverston rugby have just set up a new website very diffrent to barrows what does everyone think? Still more stuff to add but its a working progress. any ideas how to improve it would be great. http://www.ulverston...o.uk/index.html

Edited by storz7, 19 October 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#30 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

You get shot down for having ideas on here mate.

#31 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Ulverston rugby have just set up a new website very diffrent to barrows what does everyone think? Still more stuff to add but its a working progress. any ideas how to improve it would be great. http://www.ulverston...o.uk/index.html

#32 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

I can't get this to load?

#33 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

I can't get this to load?

Try this

http://www.ulverston-rugby.co.uk

#34 the man

the man
  • Coach
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Great site, only comment I have (and it's the same with Barrow's site) is that when someone writes the history they very often refer to the present (like Phil in his benefit year) but this quickly becomes stale as the years go by.

Posted Image

#35 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Great site, only comment I have (and it's the same with Barrow's site) is that when someone writes the history they very often refer to the present (like Phil in his benefit year) but this quickly becomes stale as the years go by.

That's a very good point Steve. The history section was written a few years ago now i think (not by me I might add). This has been imported from the old website to the new one. I'll take a look at it when I get chance and bring it up to date and write in such a way that it won't "date" and can simply be added to.

Posted Image

#36 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

When is the "new" website going to be upto speed ?????

The Shop is still under construction !!!
The Hall Of Fame only lists 5 players !!!
The squad is still the 2012 squad !!!
The history of the club only goes up to 2008 - no mention of the 2009 GF win, or the Des era, or the current regime !!!!

When I look on websites from just about any other club they seem to be bang upto date.
Surely once the website has been constructed and is up and running, it can't be too hard keeping it upto date !
An out of date website doesn't give the club a good image, especially at a time when the club are actively trying to attract sponsors and investors !

Edited by Baaarrow, 22 November 2012 - 08:54 AM.

Posted Image

#37 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Are you volunteering Rog ;) :lol:

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#38 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

When is the "new" website going to be upto speed ?????

The Shop is still under construction !!!
The Hall Of Fame only lists 5 players !!!
The squad is still the 2012 squad !!!

When I look on websites from just about any other club they seem to be bang upto date.
Surely once the website has been constructed and is up and running, it can't be too hard keeping it upto date !
An out of date website doesn't give the club a good image, especially at a time when the clulb are actively trying to attract sponsors and investors !

i agree.

#39 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

i agree.

I have undertaken to bring the Hall of Fame and History sections up to date and this will be done in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately personal circumstances are preventing me having the time to do this just now.

By the way I have looked at the websites of "just about any other club" and don't see too many that have an extensive history or hall of fame section so let's not get so dramatic about all this boys.

Posted Image

#40 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Nice one Keith.
Sorry if I came across a bit strong mate.
Good to read your column in the Mail last night, especially the more encouraging news about the floodlights.

Cheers
Roger.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users