Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,950 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

I agree about Faz - but he carried them due to his individual talent rather than his leadership qualities. In contrast, I think Sinfield whilst an inferior individual player, manages to inspire those around him to performance levels they wouldn't otherwise achieve. All Faz did as a leader was instill fear into those around him that they would let him down, it was more intimidation than inspiration in my view.

I'd agree. And for much of the latter time Faz was virtually playing on one leg. Sinfield was awesome tonight though and he got plenty of off the ball stuff from Wire. You have to wonder why he doesn't seem to be able to turn it on at international level. I believe he is very underated. But then I believed Deryck Fox was very underated as well!
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Brian McDermott has summed up Sinfield perfectly in his after match press conference.

He said "Kevin probably isn't the best 6 Leeds have ever had, he probably isn't the best 13 that Leeds have ever had, but by a long long way he is the best captain Leeds have ever had".

Nail on head I reckon.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#23 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

isn't he THE greatest player the SL has ever seen ?

#24 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

isn't he THE greatest player the SL has ever seen ?

Greatest player? No - there are numerous players of greater talent that have graced SL and even a few with more trophy laden careers, including his team mate Peacock.

Greatest captain / leader in SL - undoubtedly in my view.

#25 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Greatest player? No - there are numerous players of greater talent that have graced SL and even a few with more trophy laden careers, including his team mate Peacock.

This

#26 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

And that's exactly the point that many miss when judging him internationally. They judge him as a player in a position not as a leader. I guess that's why MoS has never come his way.

The same argument could be said for Deacon when GB decided on others.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#27 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

And that's exactly the point that many miss when judging him internationally. They judge him as a player in a position not as a leader. I guess that's why MoS has never come his way.

The same argument could be said for Deacon when GB decided on others.

yes I agree with both of you,but sometimes because he play's for Leeds,it reminds me of the bias that was hurled at Lewis Jones who was the most visionary skilful player that has played for Leeds or the sport,but somehow because he played for Leeds ther derided him.There is a potential motion at LCC to make Sinfield a freeman of the city and rightly so
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#28 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

Is he a greater Loose Forward/Captain than either Andy Farrell and/or Paul Sculthorpe?

as a player or a leader ?
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#29 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

Sinfield is a Super League legend, he is irrelevant in the international game however.

#30 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

Sinfield is a Super League legend, he is irrelevant in the international game however.

agreed but I did say " greatest SL player " - so we're talking of the time post 1998

thinking along the lines of SL consistency, longevity and general RL ability - Peacock and others are up there of course ( and it pains me to say it as a Saints fan) but I would put Sinfield ahead of the rest by a mile because of his pivotal ability to change & influence games - the man is a legend

#31 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

paul wellens, great leader and a great role model..........................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#32 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Sinfield is Leeds, Leeds are champions, best captain in the super league era.

Completely different player to faz and scully - I rate scully as the best of the three in my honest bias opinion.

#33 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

paul wellens, great leader and a great role model..........................

Wellens has fully achieved his potential but his behaviour on the pitch isn't what you'd expect of a role model. He's in the ref's face after every try.

Sinfield's stock is high at the moment, wouldn't be surprised if he's given the England arm band. Sure Martyn Sadler will be delighted to see Steve McNamara following his advice.

Edited by ArmchairRhino, 07 October 2012 - 02:27 PM.

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#34 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Sinfield is undoubtedly a great player, especially with the boot, he is also a great captain, a superb motivator of those around him and a very tactically astute leader.

He does lack that x factor that makes a player special, maybe as kicking in RL isn't considered that much of a part of the game then compared to great players who drive your team forward on the ground as opposed to by kicking the ball in the air he gets overlooked.

Sinny will go down as an all time great for Leeds but will possibly fall short as an all time great for the game.

As for comparing him to Faz and Scully, forget it, both were far more talented.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#35 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Agree up to a point padge. All were different types of player.
The best leader of men on a rugby field I have ever seen.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 07 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#36 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thought we were talking captain raththan player?

If we are talking greatest player then that is a whole new ball game

#37 Titus

Titus
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Greatest ever Grand Final player might be an apt description.
Or, greatest Finals?Playoff player.

#38 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thought we were talking captain raththan player?

If we are talking greatest player then that is a whole new ball game

talking about the best player in the Super League era

KS seems to have been consistenly pivotal in so much of Leeds' success that's why I put him at the top of the list - there are better players in certain positions of course but as an all round inspirational leader and influence on his team I can't think of many more consistent players throughout the SL years

#39 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I only watched the game on TV but it seems to me that he does little things that turn games, like following up after his bomb to be in the right place for the pass for the first try. On another occasion there was a loose ball in his own 22 area where the other Leeds defenders were unsure of the exact whereabouts of the ball and a Warrington try was a possibility when he swept in from the centre of the park and took command of the ball and got heavily clattered for his pains. A small thing but the game could have turned if he didn't do that. I am not a great believer in goalkicking but his deadly, unflapable accuracy helped to turn the screw on Warrington.

In the Wigan game, as Captain, I am sure he was following the coach's game plan, but he was the on field architect of that and the kicking game, both bombs, touch kicking and drop and place kicking worked a treat in the conditions in keeping Wigan pinned in their own end and keeping the scoreboard ticking along. Not pretty but effective and, to me, a further illustration of his value to the team. He will never be a player of individual brilliance like say, Tomkins, but his tactical skills, his kicking abilities and his selfless courage mark him as a rare player for his team and an intrinsic part of their superb successes over the last few years.

#40 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Its OK doing things at SL level where he has excelled, but wonder why he has never done much on the International stage? He is very talented especially with his kicking and motivational skills etc. Is it that Sinfield plays much better by bossing the show rather than following somebodyelse who is captain? Is it that the GB Coaches have not used him correctly? There is a vast difference between the slower and poorer SL and then stepping up to play International level, but others like Hall, Roby, Graham have managed it despite having a less influential role at SL level than Sinfield has. There must be something why such a standout in SL has failed to make any impact at all on the international stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users