Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#41 Titus

Titus
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Its OK doing things at SL level where he has excelled, but wonder why he has never done much on the International stage? He is very talented especially with his kicking and motivational skills etc. Is it that Sinfield plays much better by bossing the show rather than following somebodyelse who is captain? Is it that the GB Coaches have not used him correctly? There is a vast difference between the slower and poorer SL and then stepping up to play International level, but others like Hall, Roby, Graham have managed it despite having a less influential role at SL level than Sinfield has. There must be something why such a standout in SL has failed to make any impact at all on the international stage.

Some guys just fit into a certain system and make the most of that. KS has made a career based on his strengths.

#42 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I have repeated this so often that it has become dreary but, Kevin Sinfield is a tremendous individual on the rugby field in the SUPER LEAGUE and within the Leeds team and its set-up.
However he does not convey this presence when engaging against the best from the Southern Hemisphere, in my opinion the reason for this is that his is not the style of play that worries those players from down under, as they play in a different manner defensively, are more often than not better organised in that manner and quicker to amend patterns and annul oppositions. That comment is also mainly directed at those from OZ, when in their national sides attire.

I would love to witness and see Sinfield do the same to those teams in an England shirt and would praise him immensley should he accomplish that, but he is to some extent stereotyped and the S/H international sides find his style of operating relatively easy to combat. Not so in S/L, for within that sphere he is certainly supreme amongst all his fellow pro's.

I would have to go for him over Farrell as a leader but not when not in an individual context on the field, such as scoring tries when his side is under the cosh, this upon a regular basis.
Sculthorpe was simply a better all round individual with strength and vigour over and above that of Sinfield, whether he also was a better captain of his side, even in the S/L is a more debatable issue, but outside of S/L and onto the rep stage, then Both Sculthorpe and Farrell were the more inspirational and effective in their leadership roles.

PS Not being churlish but, as good as Sinfield was and may I add : I can find nothing to deny KS the MOM award either; for me the most influential player for Leeds, who threatened to causer the most damage to Warrington, was Rob Burrow, just an opinion but it is mine.

N

#43 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Agree up to a point padge. All were different types of player.
The best leader of men on a rugby field I have ever seen.

He is undoubtedly a great leader of his team, he also has a great team to lead.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#44 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Best stand off? Not a chance.
Best loose forward? Not a chance.
Best kicker? Hard to argue against.
Best captain? Most likely, yes.

So we have a dilemma when it comes to England selection. He's not the best in a certain position, but his kicking, organising and captaincy abilities are all very important attributes that other players may not be able to bring to the table. So we are usually left in a position where we have to effectively drop someone for him, last year that being Widdop.

To me, if you pick Sinfield for England, he HAS to be captain, otherwise he's not actually bringing anything that some other player could bring.
Then you have to weigh up his position on the pitch against his rivals for the positions. Stand off - Widdop. Loose - O'Loughlin. I reckon Widdop is more important to the team than O'Loughlin at present.

Posted Image

#45 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Who has been great at international level?Leeds many years ago had another great charismatic player,and he too used to get slagged down
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#46 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Best stand off? Not a chance.
Best loose forward? Not a chance.
Best kicker? Hard to argue against.
Best captain? Most likely, yes.

So we have a dilemma when it comes to England selection. He's not the best in a certain position, but his kicking, organising and captaincy abilities are all very important attributes that other players may not be able to bring to the table. So we are usually left in a position where we have to effectively drop someone for him, last year that being Widdop.

To me, if you pick Sinfield for England, he HAS to be captain, otherwise he's not actually bringing anything that some other player could bring.
Then you have to weigh up his position on the pitch against his rivals for the positions. Stand off - Widdop. Loose - O'Loughlin. I reckon Widdop is more important to the team than O'Loughlin at present.

why not play him at hooker which is were he looked most effective playing for england . in reality theres nothing to stop him playing at standoff and widdop playing loose forward with oloughlin in the 2nd row as all positions are interchangable these days with the possible exception of wingers
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#47 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Wellens has fully achieved his potential but his behaviour on the pitch isn't what you'd expect of a role model. He's in the ref's face after every try.

Sinfield's stock is high at the moment, wouldn't be surprised if he's given the England arm band. Sure Martyn Sadler will be delighted to see Steve McNamara following his advice.

The comment about Wellens being in the ref's face in a thread on Sinfield made me laugh out loud.
I think he is far more like Edwards than the other players originally mentioned, as he has made the most of every ounce of his talent, through determination, drive and thinking about the game. Both will end their careers with drawer fulls of medals. The only exceptional aspect of his game is his kicking and in October simply have tenacious defence and the best kicking game in the business can take you a long long way. In that sense he is lucky to play in the "summer" era and play so much of his crunch time rugby in deteriorating conditions and weather.
I suspect he will be a fantastic coach.

#48 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

How vital Sinfield is to Leeds will be apparent when he retires if they haven't found a replacement, and they haven't yet.

Stevie Ward.That is all.

If we're talking about a replacement captain for Leeds, I'll be seriously disappointed if Ian Kirke wasn't appointed.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#49 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

If we're talking about a replacement captain for Leeds, I'll be seriously disappointed if Ian Kirke wasn't appointed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#50 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

interesting .

would love to see ryan bailey as captain myself.

#51 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

interesting .

Pointless,he does what he wants ;)
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#52 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

interesting .

Illogical.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#53 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Illogical.

and kirke was serious ?

#54 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Illogical.

That's enough now :D
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#55 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Pointless,he does what he wants ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#56 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

and kirke was serious ?

FFS.

Beam me up.

#57 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

why not play him at hooker which is were he looked most effective playing for england . in reality theres nothing to stop him playing at standoff and widdop playing loose forward with oloughlin in the 2nd row as all positions are interchangable these days with the possible exception of wingers

Because James Roby is one of the best players in the league and the world. Sinfield won't ever displace him other than to spell him, which would defeat the point of having him in the team as he's supposed to provide leadership. How can he do that if he's not on the pitch half the time?
Posted Image

#58 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Sinfield is not liked because he plays for Leeds.As was Lewis Jones
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

what is not to admire, respect and indeed like about Sinfield as a player and as an ambassador for our sport.? I just wonder where peoples' minds ared at sometimes. Thank you Clare Balding for telling the truth.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#60 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

Just seen a bit of Match of The Day.

You want a laughing stock or joke? Try Suarez or any number of PL 'stars'. A disgrace to his sport and he should be made to watch a video of Sinfield (and Paul Wood!!) in the GF until he realises what being physical really means.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users