Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#61 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Sinfield - really good club level player, woefully exposed at International level and not able to turn it on every time it counts (like CC Finals), nowhere near in the same class as Farrell, Sculthorpe or Peacock

#62 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,071 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Sinfield - really good club level player, woefully exposed at International level and not able to turn it on every time it counts (like CC Finals), nowhere near in the same class as Farrell, Sculthorpe or Peacock

are you saying he couldn't and didn't 'turn it on' in Saturday's GF? If so we must have been watching different games.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#63 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

i have watched some of the greatest loose forwards ever to play the game, rocky turner, vinty karalius, jonny raper, mick adams, farrell and sculthorpe , sorry but sinfield is decidedly average when compared to these guys.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#64 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

i have watched some of the greatest loose forwards ever to play the game, rocky turner, vinty karalius, jonny raper, mick adams, farrell and sculthorpe , sorry but sinfield is decidedly average when compared to these guys.

I don't think anyone (including KS) has claimed him to be the best LF, SO, passer, tackler etc, but he is very good, and can inspire those around him.

Internationally, he should either be captain of England or out of the team, to be honest

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#65 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Sinfield may not be quite the player that Sculthorpe and Faz were, but his leadership is top-notch, as is the respect he commands from his team-mates and peers. Clare Balding's assessment of him on the BBC highlights was remarkable, considering her Summer of Olympics and Paralympics.

As for international performances, he hasn't exactly been the sole reason for GB/England's failures, has he?

Edited by Futtocks, 08 October 2012 - 09:19 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#66 langer7

langer7
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Internationally, he should either be captain of England or out of the team, to be honest

I think I agree with this. As an individual player he clearly isn't as talented as the likes of Paul Sculthorpe. But as a captain, and a leader of men, he clearly has an incredible aptitude. Putting him in the England team as "just another player" hasn't worked as there are better runners/tacklers/passers than him in each of Hooker, Stand-off or Loose Forward.

#67 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

The last two posts have been spot on.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#68 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Always been a fan of Kevin Sinfield's selfless work-ethic, but he was imperious on Saturday. Seldom seen a player dictate a game so assuredly. Whenever he wanted something to happen, he made it happen. And when there was nothing on, he put himself into positions to create opportunities. He was pretty courageous too, took a battering that would've had soccer players demanding the air ambulance, but got up, got on and won Leeds the game.

I went as a complete neutral, head thinking Leeds, heart hoping Wire, but Sinfield kept going where Lee Briers faded badly and that was the difference between the sides for me (I'm also a big fan of his frankly bonkers kicking technique).

As a slight aside, Kevin's brother Ian was Hornets' captain for 2 years and has exactly the same controlled, disciplined attitude.

Edited by Hornetto, 08 October 2012 - 09:24 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#69 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,071 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Always been a fan of Kevin Sinfield's selfless work-ethic, but he was imperious on Saturday. Seldom seen a player dictate a game so assuredly. Whenever he wanted something to happen, he made it happen. And when there was nothing on, he put himself into positions to create opportunities. He was pretty courageous too, took a battering that would've had soccer players demanding the air ambulance, but got up, got on and won Leeds the game.

I went as a complete neutral, head thinking Leeds, heart hoping Wire, but Sinfield kept going where Lee Briers faded badly and that was the difference between the sides for me (I'm also a big fan of his frankly bonkers kicking technique).

As a slight aside, Kevin's brother Ian was Hornets' captain for 2 years and has exactly the same controlled, disciplined attitude.

that's the way I saw it
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#70 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

In the International games you have to check your team sheets in the programme to make sure hes on the field.

#71 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Here in lies the difference between Sinfield and the great players of our game. He can do it in SL but can't do it at International level. The likes of Lockyer, Thurston, Cronk, Marshall etc. could / can dictate a game and make things happen at any level.

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Here in lies the difference between Sinfield and the great players of our game. He can do it in SL but can't do it at International level. The likes of Lockyer, Thurston, Cronk, Marshall etc. could / can dictate a game and make things happen at any level.

Put Thurston in the England team and see if he dictates a match against the Kangaroos.

I do sort of agree with your point though btw! He can only be compared to other England players though who have done better than him.

#73 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

It's been a long time since England/GB had any player who could dictate a game.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 08 October 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#74 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Surely his ability to dominate the UK game's showpiece match between the best sides in the country make him the best we have at dictating a game. So if he's not able to do it at international level, who is? And who has been for the last 20 years.

Yes, Australia are blessed with a surfeit of great players, but Sinfield is amongst the best we have and should be recognised for what he can do rather then where people feel he's somehow lacking.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!

#75 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Put Thurston in the England team and see if he dictates a match against the Kangaroos.

I do sort of agree with your point though btw! He can only be compared to other England players though who have done better than him.

I actually think Thurston could. More often than not the England / GB forwards have been more than able to match the Roos & Kiwi's and build a platform for the backs but its our lack of skill in the backs (particularly the halves) that prevented us from winning games.

#76 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I actually think Thurston could. More often than not the England / GB forwards have been more than able to match the Roos & Kiwi's and build a platform for the backs but its our lack of skill in the backs (particularly the halves) that prevented us from winning games.

What he said...

If we were playing Australia this week, who would anyone here pick at 6 and 7?

Edited by Hornetto, 08 October 2012 - 10:16 AM.

Posted Image

#77 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

I think it has already been said throughout the topic. My view is he is not the best loose forward, hooker, stand off or scrum half at that level. But whichever position you play him in he will play it exactly as it should be played and his decision making will be spot on. A fine ambassador for this great game.

#78 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I certainly think he would do better than our current options, but would be nowhere near as effective as he is for the 'Roos.

The forwards doing ok is one thing, but the running options out wide that the Aussie have give their halves more space and quality options.

#79 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Sinfield is not liked because he plays for Leeds.

That's just plain wrong. Few people in contemporary Rugby League are respected across the board as Sinfield is in my experience.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#80 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

That's just plain wrong. Few people in contemporary Rugby League are respected across the board as Sinfield is in my experience.

By players and people connected to clubs maybe,rival fans on the other hand.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users