Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#81 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

By players and people connected to clubs maybe,rival fans on the other hand.........

Nope, I include rival fans in that. Can't say I've ever come across any fan who hasn't given Kev his due and I talk to a lot of people who don't exactly love Leeds.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#82 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Nope, I include rival fans in that. Can't say I've ever come across any fan who hasn't given Kev his due and I talk to a lot of people who don't exactly love Leeds.

Well I have read quite a few posts to the contrary on here from time to time.Its the Leeds factor
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#83 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Yes, yes everyone hates you. It must be awful

If anything, the criticism of Sinfield has been for when he hasn't been playing for Leeds! One chip on the shoulder too far IMO...

Edited by Amber Avenger, 08 October 2012 - 02:52 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#84 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Is he a greater Loose Forward/Captain than either Andy Farrell and/or Paul Sculthorpe?

He is a great leader of the 25 man squad, he would be my first choice from those mentioned
a magic guy, nice too.

#85 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

I agree about Faz - but he carried them due to his individual talent rather than his leadership qualities. In contrast, I think Sinfield whilst an inferior individual player, manages to inspire those around him to performance levels they wouldn't otherwise achieve. All Faz did as a leader was instill fear into those around him that they would let him down, it was more intimidation than inspiration in my view.

Inferior individual? Are you on drugs or something...he controls the game, not just with his verbal guidance but his brilliance with ball in hand.

#86 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

only for leeds.......................................... faz did it for gb/england as well
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#87 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Sinfield is not liked because he plays for Leeds.As was Lewis Jones

Don't be so bloody soft.

Is Rob Burrow disliked? What about Jamie Peacock? Ryan Hall? I could go on and on.

The reason people don't want Sinfield playing for England is because there are arguably much better players than him in the positions he plays. Some people seem to forget that we have Widdop (a 6) and Burgess (can play 13) in Aus. We also have O'Loughlin as a 13 as well as a number of backrow options depending on SMcM's tactics. We have Brough, who is just as good (if not better) a kicker and nobody else really good enough for a spot at 7. We have James Roby, who is consistently the best 9 in the league year after year.

If you are to play Sinfield, you arguably have to drop someone better than him. On top of that, you have to make him captain to get the most out of his abilities. Other than his leadership, everything else he has can be more than brought to the table. There are also other potential leaders in the team.

So the question is, is he THAT good a leader that someone should be dropped for him?
Posted Image

#88 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

His leadership at Leeds is strong because everyone there is used to playing with him, trusting him and are willing to bust a gut for the guy.

No matter who has captained GB/England in recent years, they've looked like a bunch of strangers to each other in most matches.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#89 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

At club level- no contest as his record now speaks for itself.

International- said it before. Not fast enough or creative enough for a for 6/7 or big enough for a 13. His best game in England was as a 9! And thats were he would shine in the England side.

#90 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

only for leeds.......................................... faz did it for gb/england as well

Faz,as you call him did it for England/gb?no one has since around 1972
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#91 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

I agree about Faz - but he carried them due to his individual talent rather than his leadership qualities. In contrast, I think Sinfield whilst an inferior individual player, manages to inspire those around him to performance levels they wouldn't otherwise achieve. All Faz did as a leader was instill fear into those around him that they would let him down, it was more intimidation than inspiration in my view.

Inferior?now come on
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#92 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Brian McDermott has summed up Sinfield perfectly in his after match press conference.

He said "Kevin probably isn't the best 6 Leeds have ever had, he probably isn't the best 13 that Leeds have ever had, but by a long long way he is the best captain Leeds have ever had".

Nail on head I reckon.

That quote came from Harry Jepson originally, but very correct

#93 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

That quote came from Harry Jepson originally, but very correct

I believe Harry Jepson also paid him the biggest compliment possible: "He's so good he could be from Yorkshire"
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#94 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

i have watched some of the greatest loose forwards ever to play the game, rocky turner, vinty karalius, jonny raper, mick adams, farrell and sculthorpe , sorry but sinfield is decidedly average when compared to these guys.

so true but the game has changed a lot you know and comparisons dont apply . i mean the role of loose forward not longer excists in any meaningful way does it . its like compareing hookers from days gone by with todays hookers or should i say scrumhalves packing down..
to compare sinfield you need to do it in terms of the best organisers you have seen and the best kickers both tactical and goal kicking forget about the name of the position there listed as playing.
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#95 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Don't be so bloody soft.

Is Rob Burrow disliked? What about Jamie Peacock? Ryan Hall? I could go on and on.

The reason people don't want Sinfield playing for England is because there are arguably much better players than him in the positions he plays. Some people seem to forget that we have Widdop (a 6) and Burgess (can play 13) in Aus. We also have O'Loughlin as a 13 as well as a number of backrow options depending on SMcM's tactics. We have Brough, who is just as good (if not better) a kicker and nobody else really good enough for a spot at 7. We have James Roby, who is consistently the best 9 in the league year after year.

I agree. Leeds don't seem to have a massive amount of hatred aimed towards them (outside of normal rivalries).

However if they keep winning GF's then I'm sure we can work on it.

#96 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Don't be so bloody soft.

If you are to play Sinfield, you arguably have to drop someone better than him. On top of that, you have to make him captain to get the most out of his abilities. Other than his leadership, everything else he has can be more than brought to the table. There are also other potential leaders in the team.

So the question is, is he THAT good a leader that someone should be dropped for him?

Not a chance Brough is a better kicker than Sinfield

I've seen Brough control a few games, Sinfield has controlled many games.

Thats my opinion though.

#97 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

We have Brough, who is just as good (if not better) a kicker and nobody else really good enough for a spot at 7.

Brough is a fine player but not worthy of cleaning Sinfields boots - ok on his day but nowhere near the consistency of KS

#98 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Kevin Sinfield reminds me of Braith Anasta, but with a good kicking game. His leadership skills are off the chart though.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#99 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

His best game in England was as a 9!

Yes it was

Truly a Ringo Starr moment

What does that say about our international set up?

Sinny has been overlooked for many international occasions and when he has been picked its been in some dreadful squads and disorganized teams, poorly coached and half heartedly led

Give him the armband and a say in who plays, Englands record in teh future may look a lot different to how its been

#100 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yes it was

Truly a Ringo Starr moment

What does that say about our international set up?

Sinny has been overlooked for many international occasions and when he has been picked its been in some dreadful squads and disorganized teams, poorly coached and half heartedly led

Give him the armband and a say in who plays, Englands record in teh future may look a lot different to how its been

The internationals this year are the perfect opportunity to give him a shot at captaincy
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users