Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Kevin Sinfield reminds me of Braith Anasta, but with a good kicking game. His leadership skills are off the chart though.

wouldn't you compare him more with Terry Campese ?

#122 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

He`s the kind of player teammates and coaches love, a 7 out of 10 player every game. He never lets a team down, but isnt a flash match winner the majority of times.

#123 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

OK so for Autumn series:

Tomkins
Hardaker
Ratchford
Ablett
Hall

Sinfield ©
Burrow

with a view to switch Reed for Ratchford in 2013. And Roger as water carrier, at the most.

Ablett definitely not, hes no where near good enough for internation level especially at centre. I don't see what warrants Hardaker over Charnley or Briscoe either, although I wouldn't be disappointed to see him selected. Widdop has to start at 6, he's got a brilliant all round game and like Sinfield turned it on in his grand final, although his was a much higher standard.

I just can't think where Sinfield can play at international level, he has flaws wherever he plays.

13 - Not big enough we'll basically be a forward light.

9 - Will he make enough yards when he scoots/can he organise the backline from hooker?

7 - Too slow and not an attacking threat.

He's a great leader yes and should be regarded as one of the best captains of the SL era if not the best. But unfortunately being a good organiser and leader isn't good enough to be good at international level and that's where he falls short and it pains me to say it.

Come the 2013 WC he'll be even slower than he is now and will mean he'll get exposed even more, so I think we have to find an alternative to Sinfield this series as fair enough Sinfield will likely look good against Wales and France but against the Aussies and Kiwis it will be a whole different story.

#124 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

The internationals this year are the perfect opportunity to give him a shot at captaincy

Thats a very stupid statement to make really, the quality of the opposition he (or for that matter, anyone who was captain) would prove nothing as to whether he/they would be a great captain, when pitted and leading against the best opposition in the game.

It cannot be argued with that he proves himself time and again with Leeds, but he fails dismally time and again at rep level also. So what does that prove? That he can contend with the S/L easily; yet struggles with the top rep level of the game, or what?

It is a conundrum, but the answer surely has been proven in that Sinfield, as good as he seems to be in S/L, is not quite good enough in the very pinnicles of the game, sad, even sorry but I believe that to be so.

#125 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

It cannot be argued with that he proves himself time and again with Leeds, but he fails dismally time and again at rep level also. So what does that prove? That he can contend with the S/L easily; yet struggles with the top rep level of the game, or what?

This is becoming a bit of an urban myth. Sinfield has been no worse than any of our half backs over the past decade. He was man of the match against the Kiwis at the KC last season and had a great game at Wembley vs the Kangaroos too. The majority of England's tries in last year's 4N came through him.

#126 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I'd replace McNamara with Sinfield.

#127 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'd replace McNamara with Sinfield.

Not a bad idea
At least a team picked by Sinny would be made up of English players, mainly in the right order, with half a clue who each other was
And he probably wouldnt talk to them in a cod Aussie accent

#128 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Inferior?now come on

Offer me an Andy Farrell at his peak or a Kevin Sinfield at his peak and I'd take Faz every time, he was quite simply a better all round player in my view. That is no slight on Sinfield and shouldn't be seen as such.

#129 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Inferior individual? Are you on drugs or something...he controls the game, not just with his verbal guidance but his brilliance with ball in hand.

Being an inferior player to Farrell isn't a slight on Sinfield - Faz was just more physically dominant, defensively strong, controlled games to at least an equal extent and more consistently. What he didn't have for the second half of his Wigan career was the depth of talent that Leeds have had under Sinfield's tenure. Kev is a great leader, but it's not like McGuire, Peacock, Burrow, etc haven't played as big or bigger part in other GF successes.

As for the reference to drugs - unnecessary in an open debate, but I'll let it slide on this occasion.

#130 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Offer me an Andy Farrell at his peak or a Kevin Sinfield at his peak and I'd take Faz every time, he was quite simply a better all round player in my view. That is no slight on Sinfield and shouldn't be seen as such.

I dont think the word "inferior is appropriate.You see it means something cheap and shoddy and c--p,and Kevin Sinfield is definately not that.

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 13 October 2012 - 02:24 PM.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#131 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

I dont think the word "inferior is appropriate.You see it means something cheap and shoddy and c--p,and Kevin Sinfield is definately not that.

in·fe·ri·or/inˈfi(ə)rēər/
Adjective:
Lower in rank, status, or quality.
Noun:
A person lower than another in status or ability.

I'd say it was a pretty appropriate term to use. And accurate. Just because you've misinterpreted it doesn't mean it's inappropriate.
Posted Image

#132 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

in·fe·ri·or/inˈfi(ə)rēər/
Adjective:
Lower in rank, status, or quality.
Noun:
A person lower than another in status or ability.

I'd say it was a pretty appropriate term to use. And accurate. Just because you've misinterpreted it doesn't mean it's inappropriate.

I don't know whether it was misinterpretation or just general dummy spitting. Quite a few Leeds fans have demonstrated an astounding degree of entitlement and persecution complex over the last week since the team's recent success. Seems it isn't just Wigan fans like BoaB that can have paranoid outbursts and delusions of grandeur in equal measure. Objective opinions regarding Sinfield based on a decade or more of performances, not clouded by one admittedly excellent performance are not the order of day clearly. Great leader of men, far from best player of his era though.

#133 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

I don't know whether it was misinterpretation or just general dummy spitting. Quite a few Leeds fans have demonstrated an astounding degree of entitlement and persecution complex over the last week since the team's recent success. Seems it isn't just Wigan fans like BoaB that can have paranoid outbursts and delusions of grandeur in equal measure. Objective opinions regarding Sinfield based on a decade or more of performances, not clouded by one admittedly excellent performance are not the order of day clearly. Great leader of men, far from best player of his era though.

Agree.

Leeds have oh been dominant in one competition, and that's the play offs.
Posted Image

#134 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

I held you up as one of the exceptions of Wiganers from what we read on rlfans,but it seems you cant get away from that insular town mentality that seems to pervade from their.no comment about the other mush above.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#135 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

jeez ##### fest or what.

Cant do a poll but given the choice of Farrel,Sculthorpe or Sinfield in their prime,Sinfield would come 3rd,thats not knocking Sinfield in anyway,but Farrel and Sculthorpe also did it against better class foriegners compared to the recent batch.

#136 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Sinfield is not liked because he plays for Leeds.As was Lewis Jones

Have to agree with that. There is a terrible jealousy regarding Leeds, I never noticed this for Wigan in the Eighties.

#137 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Sinfield is IMO the greatest player / captain in SL. He'd be my first choice for the England armband.

#138 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Key has a column in the People today and for the next few weeks I think. Good stuff.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#139 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

I held you up as one of the exceptions of Wiganers from what we read on rlfans,but it seems you cant get away from that insular town mentality that seems to pervade from their.no comment about the other mush above.

Maybe you should stay on Southstander then to ensure back slaps a plenty and a single shared opinion amongst like minded Leeds fans. All I've offered is a view on a question answered earlier in the thread. At no point have I insulted Sinfield, I respect him and his achievements highly. Nevertheless I have some perspective regarding his overall legacy. What is ironic is that Leeds fans accuse others of being insular, when you can't see past the Blue and Amber and the last six years. Tell me why Sinfield was a better player than Sculthorpe and Farrell like I've offered in terms of the latter, and maybe its a debate.

#140 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I agree on all points above.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users