Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#141 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Not sure if anyone has seen the Waitrose paper this weekend.

Top of the bill on the back page, Claire Balding writing very very positively about the Grand Final and in particular her 'hero' Kevin Sinfield. She even goes so far as to write 'If I had a son, I would want him to grow up to be like Kevin Sinfield - humble, hard-working and honest'.

Quite some praise and great write up for RL in such an ABC publication.

#142 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,831 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

C'mon people... it's far too early into the post-season for this sort of stuff. A number of posts deleted with a broad brush because I don't have time to be selective this morning.

Two points:
1. People are allowed their own opinion as long as it's reasonable. Saying Farrell is a better player than Sinfield is a reasonable opinion that has arguable merits. I'm not saying he is, just that it is a reasonable opinion.
2. Please don't drag threads down through petty bickering. Strong debate is welcome, petty bickering is not. Also, petty tribalism just makes you look silly...

On the question posed in the original post though, I'd pick Farrell first, without even having to think about it, to me it's a no-brainer. Sculthorpe and Sinfield get a joint 2nd place with little to separate them overall, each has their own strengths, each has their own weaknesses. If I were picking a club captain out of Sculthorpe and Sinfield then I'd pick Sinfield, if an international captain then Scully would win the vote. (Disclaimer for those interested, I am a Saints fan)

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#143 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

On the question posed in the original post though, I'd pick Farrell first, without even having to think about it, to me it's a no-brainer.

Yeah, but what do you know......

*runs away*.......

#144 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Good post ckn.

Farrell hands down for me. Far far better player. Lead from the front. No doubts about selecting him ever.

Sculthorpe and Sinfield are close but for different reasons. Scully in his prime was phenomenal. But he wasn't in his prime for very long before he became injury prone and dirty to make up for his diminishing talents. Sinfield has been consistent for a long number of years and a great leader.

I'd pick Scully over Sinny as a player, but vice versa for captains.

Farrell over both though in both areas.
Posted Image

#145 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Maybe you should stay on Southstander then to ensure back slaps a plenty and a single shared opinion amongst like minded Leeds fans. All I've offered is a view on a question answered earlier in the thread. At no point have I insulted Sinfield, I respect him and his achievements highly. Nevertheless I have some perspective regarding his overall legacy. What is ironic is that Leeds fans accuse others of being insular, when you can't see past the Blue and Amber and the last six years. Tell me why Sinfield was a better player than Sculthorpe and Farrell like I've offered in terms of the latter, and maybe its a debate.

Maybe you should stay on Southstander then to ensure back slaps a plenty and a single shared opinion amongst like minded Leeds fans. All I've offered is a view on a question answered earlier in the thread. At no point have I insulted Sinfield, I respect him and his achievements highly. Nevertheless I have some perspective regarding his overall legacy. What is ironic is that Leeds fans accuse others of being insular, when you can't see past the Blue and Amber and the last six years. Tell me why Sinfield was a better player than Sculthorpe and Farrell like I've offered in terms of the latter, and maybe its a debate.

Sinfield gets selected as international capt and then some come on here and start saying "huh"Faz was 100 times better.Why?its nothing to do with Andrew Farrell or head nocker Locker.I never said he was better than sos and so or so and so,because its not about them now,ut he's not inferior either
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#146 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

C'mon people... it's far too early into the post-season for this sort of stuff. A number of posts deleted with a broad brush because I don't have time to be selective this morning.

Two points:
1. People are allowed their own opinion as long as it's reasonable. Saying Farrell is a better player than Sinfield is a reasonable opinion that has arguable merits. I'm not saying he is, just that it is a reasonable opinion.
2. Please don't drag threads down through petty bickering. Strong debate is welcome, petty bickering is not. Also, petty tribalism just makes you look silly...

On the question posed in the original post though, I'd pick Farrell first, without even having to think about it, to me it's a no-brainer. Sculthorpe and Sinfield get a joint 2nd place with little to separate them overall, each has their own strengths, each has their own weaknesses. If I were picking a club captain out of Sculthorpe and Sinfield then I'd pick Sinfield, if an international captain then Scully would win the vote. (Disclaimer for those interested, I am a Saints fan)

Two points:

good post CKN ive been back home for few days so not been following this thread.I just think the term inferior whatever its dictionary definition is the wrong word to use and disrespectful to a man like Kevin Sinfield
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users