TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

it could be me not seeing something that is staring me in the face
but there is no mention of the GF in today's IOS.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

There's a report on the website, seems odd it wouldn't rate a mention in the print version. What have they printed in the sports pages?
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Why would it when even the Independent's own RL correspondent is often heard talking the game down?

#4 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Don't buy it anymore and I'm glad I don't.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hadfield probably told them not to bother.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

This is why the Michael Calvin article in the Indy a few weeks ago in which - after years of having nothing to say about the game for any of the myriad newspapers that have employed him - he described rugby league as "living a lie" was so shameless...

For the printed version of the paper to have not a single word on the culmination of the sport's domestic season - and by this I don't just mean a cursory match report but maybe even a profile of one of the many wonderful athletes who gave their all yesterday - says everything as to how much the game's welfare means to the likes of Calvin's current paymasters.

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

The Times had a half page article about the game today, plus a little pic of two Leeds players on the header of their sports section. They had an article from Stevo, of all people (moaning about the game, obviously) on Saturday along with a preview article by Chris Irvine. They also had a preview article on Friday. The Times isn't doing too badly for RL cover in its printed version. Of course their cover of RL is nowhere near as extensive as that of soccer, union, cricket or golf, but it's been more than a column size throughout the play offs.

#8 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Overall we do seem top get more coverage in The Times than we do most other papers.

#9 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Great piece by Andy Wilson the day of game.

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Great piece by Andy Wilson the day of game.

decent match reportby Andy in the Observer as well.

I'm not happy about people knocking Dave Hadfield.
Keeping it local

#11 Dean

Dean
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

It's on page 18 of the sport section. Full page with 4 pictures.

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

It's on page 18 of the sport section. Full page with 4 pictures.

thanks mate
I've looked and looked, but for some weird reason didn't see it. I'll look again.
Keeping it local

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Why? He is on a real downer at the moment and what pathetic coverage RL might get, he sees fit to use on 'game in crisis' style articles. Not good enough

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Why? He is on a real downer at the moment and what pathetic coverage RL might get, he sees fit to use on 'game in crisis' style articles. Not good enough

the ammount of coverage isn't down to him

maybe it's what he thinks. I think 'game in crisis' is nonsense, if that's what he's said.
I still can't find the report in my IOS
Keeping it local

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

maybe it's what he thinks. I think 'game in crisis' is nonsense, if that's what he's said.

So surely what little he does get, he might want to use as decent pieces? If only to keep himself in a job. As it is, it looks like the 'independent' is right to shun RL.

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

decent match reportby Andy in the Observer as well.

I was quite shocked to see him the last time he was on the telly. He looked quite ill to me.

The best RL writer that we've had for many years and a shame to become tarred with this brush. Anyone on here who doesn't do what their boss tells them to do and still get paid let me know!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 AuroraXIII

AuroraXIII
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm disappointed that the three pieces I saw on Sunday, Times, Telegraph and Mail, all appeared without any other analysis. There was nothing to show casual readers how or where the game was won and lost. This, unfortunately, is a regular occurrence.

#18 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Was it an early edition? Not all editions will carry news from a Saturday evening.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Was it an early edition? Not all editions will carry news from a Saturday evening.

must have been. I've just checked again.
Keeping it local

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

The best RL writer that we've had for many years and a shame to become tarred with this brush. Anyone on here who doesn't do what their boss tells them to do and still get paid let me know!

That's not really a get-out for some of the negativity that has been written this year by some of the RL journos.

Not just Hadfield, but often in RL articles by RL Journos there are comments in that if written by a non-RL Journo would be described as snide and part of an agenda.