Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,875 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

It's on page 18 of the sport section. Full page with 4 pictures.

on page 18 of my IOS there's a full page feature about Andy Murray
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,857 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Why would it when even the Independent's own RL correspondent is often heard talking the game down?

Do they still have a correspondent on the books? I thought Dave Hadfield had been freelance since the back end of 2011.

#23 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Jonathan McEvoy in today's Daily Mail has written a big article that praises Kevin Sinfield.
He grudgingly praises the game as a whole but there is an underlying condescension in the article.
Why when we get any publicity do they always seem to have a negative slant? Read the articles on union and they emphasise the positives.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Read the articles on union and they emphasise the positives.

They don't always emphasise them... sometimes they invent them! :P

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,623 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm not happy about people knocking Dave Hadfield.

Me neither.

If ever there was a case of picking on the completely wrong target, this is it.

Anyone who thinks Dave has a 'down' on Rugby League needs to read his piece on the Grand Final in the new issue of Rugby League World to recognise how far off beam they are. There are precious few who understand and appreciate the game better.

The Indy, on the other hand, really has gone right down the pan as far as Rugby League is concerned since they dispensed with Dave as a staff writer. Hardly surprising as the only reason it was any good in the first place was down to him.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

I wouldn't for one second claim I knew a quarter as much about RL as Dave and it's daft to suggest he doesn't love the game. BUT we all get frustrated with the game sometimes and so does he. He has definitely come across as such lately IMO.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#27 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,623 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

I wouldn't for one second claim I knew a quarter as much about RL as Dave and it's daft to suggest he doesn't love the game. BUT we all get frustrated with the game sometimes and so does he. He has definitely come across as such lately IMO.

Blaming Dave for the lack of a match report in The Indy, as some are doing in this thread, is just ridiculous, as is more generally sticking the boot into a bloke who lives and breathes the game. I'm not saying you've done that, John, but others have. He was described elsewhere on this forum recently as 'a blight' on the game. To me, as a long time reader of his work, and now as someone in a position to commission work from him for RLW, that's not only plain wrong, it's downright offensive.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,115 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Blaming Dave for the lack of a match report in The Indy, as some are doing in this thread, is just ridiculous, as is more generally sticking the boot into a bloke who lives and breathes the game. I'm not saying you've done that, John, but others have. He was described elsewhere on this forum recently as 'a blight' on the game. To me, as a long time reader of his work, and now as someone in a position to commission work from him for RLW, that's not only plain wrong, it's downright offensive.

Listen to him and his fellow dreary whingers moaning on about everything on the Forty Twenty podcast, read his "rugby league is in crisis" Uncle-Tom-job for the Indy ... I've a great deal of respect for what he's done in the past and I hope his article for RLW is as good as you say. But we don't have many friends in the media so when one uses what little opportunity he gets to write articles Stephen Jones would be proud of fans of the game are well within their rights to cry foul.

I'm well aware the lack of reports is not his fault. The sportsdesks of the Indy and the Standard merged a while back - getting anything in that isn't generic soccer is hard.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Blaming Dave for the lack of a match report in The Indy, as some are doing in this thread, is just ridiculous, as is more generally sticking the boot into a bloke who lives and breathes the game.

John, calling anyone who cares about the game a 'blight' is very offensive and certainly wouldn't be in my thoughts. However, he has come across as quite negative recently - and he isn't alone in that (Stevo in The Times at the weekend was equally negative, for example) - and that is both disappointing and discouraging as we just don't have enough air/print space allocated to us to 'waste' what we do have on being negative about our sport in my view. We need to be able to comment upon someone's writing, whether we like it or not, think it is negative or whatever, no matter how much they love the game or know the game, surely?

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

John, calling anyone who cares about the game a 'blight' is very offensive and certainly wouldn't be in my thoughts. However, he has come across as quite negative recently - and he isn't alone in that (Stevo in The Times at the weekend was equally negative, for example) - and that is both disappointing and discouraging as we just don't have enough air/print space allocated to us to 'waste' what we do have on being negative about our sport in my view. We need to be able to comment upon someone's writing, whether we like it or not, think it is negative or whatever, no matter how much they love the game or know the game, surely?

Given your recent diatribes are you really in a position to comment on negatvity.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#31 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

Chris Irvine has become whinger number one in the past year or so. I used to think he bigged up the game quite well, but on SL Extra Time and especially Twitter every other RL tweet seems to be doing the game down.

I remember people used to have a go at Andy Wilson for being a bit negative, but he has been one of the more level headed journos in the past year - maybe because The Guardian prevents him from watching RL most weeks...! Has there been some sort of personality transplant?
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#32 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Listen to him and his fellow dreary whingers moaning on about everything on the Forty Twenty podcast, read his "rugby league is in crisis" Uncle-Tom-job for the Indy ... I've a great deal of respect for what he's done in the past and I hope his article for RLW is as good as you say. But we don't have many friends in the media so when one uses what little opportunity he gets to write articles Stephen Jones would be proud of fans of the game are well within their rights to cry foul.

I'm well aware the lack of reports is not his fault. The sportsdesks of the Indy and the Standard merged a while back - getting anything in that isn't generic soccer is hard.

Uncle Tom job?! Get a grip son.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,115 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Uncle Tom job?! Get a grip son.

Dancing for his paymasters.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Anyone who wants to learn lessons about how to be positive and upbeat on our game only needs to read these forums.

Pot, kettle, black??
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Anyone who wants to learn lessons about how to be positive and upbeat on our game only needs to read these forums.

Pot, kettle, black??

There is a world of difference between someone expressing an opinion on here and an article printed in a national paper though.

#36 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

True enough. But we are neither paid for our opinions, nor are our opinions the only ones available in the national press as a ever decreasing window into a sport a lot of the general public know little about.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#37 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

delete.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 08 October 2012 - 01:22 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#38 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Amazing point.

Or we could actually have a proper discussion...?
SQL Honours

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Amazing point.

Or we could actually have a proper discussion...?

?

#40 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Blind Side johnny had posted a thinly veiled jibe that was edited in the time I was posting a similarly grownup response.
SQL Honours

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users