Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

rfl announce radical plans for the 2013 season

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

If it's so easy to just gear yourselves up for just 4 weeks of knock out competition, how come everyone else is failing quite spectacularly at doing so?

Just cos, OK.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#22 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Agree completely !
Leeds won the GF and are rightly called the champions, its the system thats ###### and the useless bunch of muppets in Red Hall that brought it in that need sorting out. The current system makes SL a bit of a joke whereby a team like Leeds can coast for 27 weekly rounds knowing they only have to play well for 4 weeks at the end of the year to be crowned champions.

There are very few fans that think a top 8 system is a good idea and the clubs were railroaded into supporting it. They wre effectively told that they either had to the support the top 8 system or the RFL would be in serious trouble. There were several clubs who didn't want the top 8 system (like Saints) but were forced into signing up to it.

It just goes to show how out of touch the current administration is with the fans and the clubs.

Do you honestly believe that Leeds 'coasted' for 27 rounds of regular season games? If a team can coast to 5th place, just how poor are teams finishing below them?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#23 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Spot on - everybody criticising Leeds and I fail to understand why no other teams have taken this "approach"

By 'eck there's some mardy Lancastrians out in force today

Err I do think many are criticising Leeds. I've no problem with Leeds turning it on when it matters and to beat Wigan and Warrington like they have shows what a champion side they are.

The problem I and others have is that the playoffs are too easy to get into. If they were top 5 or top 4 then Leeds would still have done it but the weekly rounds would have meant something.

At the moment we have possibly 5 top teams therefore the playoff should be 4 clubs so these teams have to compete during the season.

I am not complaining that Leeds have won I complaining that for 7 months we get to see glorified friendlies

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 08 October 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#24 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Err I do think many are criticising Leeds. I've no problem with Leeds turning it on when it matters and to beat Wigan and Warrington like they have shows what a champion side they are.

The problem I and others have is that the playoffs are too easy to get into. If they were top 5 or top 4 then Leeds would still have done it but the weekly rounds would have meant something.

At the moment we have possibly 5 top teams therefore the playoff should be 4 clubs do these team have to compete during the season.

I am not complaining that Leeds have won I complaining that for 7 months we get to see glorified friendlies

silly sods for making it difficult for themselves and not trying to finish top
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Why don't we have this discussion in the middle of next season?

Then we can try and decide whether we think some teams are giving their all, or just going through the motions? Or whether the games are worthwhile competitions or just a warm up?

It might be interesting to see peoples views before any places are decided or there is a clear league leader.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#26 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Why don't we have this discussion in the middle of next season?

Then we can try and decide whether we think some teams are giving their all, or just going through the motions? Or whether the games are worthwhile competitions or just a warm up?

It might be interesting to see peoples views before any places are decided or there is a clear league leader.

But fans had discussions like this last year, and the year before, and before that !!
Not many people are criticising Leeds, The fact is most fans (and some clubs) think the format is wrong, that a top 8 is too many clubs and it rewards mediocrity.
It more often than not sees one sided first round games and doesn't push teams to try and finish further up the table.

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

But fans had discussions like this last year, and the year before, and before that !!
Not many people are criticising Leeds, The fact is most fans (and some clubs) think the format is wrong, that a top 8 is too many clubs and it rewards mediocrity.
It more often than not sees one sided first round games and doesn't push teams to try and finish further up the table.

I know but we are now talking about the past and perhaps memories are clouded or just hazy. If team A play several terrible games in June-July, people can note it (not one off bad performances) then compare it if that team start playing red hot come Sept.

Edit: which could be total co-incidence anyway, so scrap that idea.

Edited by Johnoco, 08 October 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#28 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Other sports have no problems with the idea that champions may emerge despite having indifferent regular seasons.
See this for example http://bleacherrepor...-history/page/4
Leeds are worthy champions, they may not necessarily have as much skill or flair as other teams but they possess something equally important- a big game winning mentality (in play-off games at least, though it does not appear to extend to Wembley). They could have been rocked by conceding the early try, but instead they calmly continued to execute their game plan to brilliant effect. Why was this?, they were confident in their ability to control the game and ultimately the result, and that confidence comes from having done it so many times before.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#29 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Other sports have no problems with the idea that champions may emerge despite having indifferent regular seasons.
See this for example http://bleacherrepor...-history/page/4
Leeds are worthy champions, they may not necessarily have as much skill or flair as other teams but they possess something equally important- a big game winning mentality (in play-off games at least, though it does not appear to extend to Wembley). They could have been rocked by conceding the early try, but instead they calmly continued to execute their game plan to brilliant effect. Why was this?, they were confident in their ability to control the game and ultimately the result, and that confidence comes from having done it so many times before.

I Havee NO problem with Leeds winning it. They are a very good and Champion team. I don't have a problem with deciding the Champions via a playoff and grand final (in fact I think this is a great concept and really finishes the season off on a high).

I have a problem with the 8 team playoff system whereby any of the top sides can make the playoffs without realy trying during the weekly rounds, thus turing the weekly rounds into glorified friendlies

We need to make the weekly rounds more relavent and reducing the playoff to 5 or 4 will do that, AND i still think Leeds would be there and would probably win it.

#30 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

But then isn't there the argument that by reducing the number of teams in the playoffs you are creating more glorified friendlies as a lot more teams mid to bottom in the league have nothing to play for? Not saying I agree with this, but it's worth pointing out. At least in the 8 team system, you are playing to keep form, even if you are confirmed in the playoffs in July.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

But then isn't there the argument that by reducing the number of teams in the playoffs you are creating more glorified friendlies as a lot more teams mid to bottom in the league have nothing to play for? Not saying I agree with this, but it's worth pointing out. At least in the 8 team system, you are playing to keep form, even if you are confirmed in the playoffs in July.

Yeah but the theory was that by increasing it to 8 we would get more teams with something to play for.....which is true in theory but it isn't turning out like that.
Maybe there could be a decent cash incentive for finishing higher up the table (outside the top 5) or something? ie the lower you finish the less you get..... but considerably less.

#32 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

to cut the season to the month of september so that it will stop leeds from finishing 5th and being called champions......................

They would adjust again,just like the Borg.resistance is futile,but hey next year is a new season and Leeds might just finish top and win it from there ,AGAIN
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#33 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

to cut the season to the month of september so that it will stop leeds from finishing 5th and being called champions......................

They would adjust again,just like the Borg.resistance is futile,but hey next year is a new season and Leeds might just finish top and win it from there ,AGAIN
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

then there will be no argument, i am not being anti-leeds but i have never been a fan of the current play off system, and to cast a wider net, if there had still been p&r then the 4th best team in CC would have been promoted...............that is what is wrong for me.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#35 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

then there will be no argument, i am not being anti-leeds but i have never been a fan of the current play off system, and to cast a wider net, if there had still been p&r then the 4th best team in CC would have been promoted...............that is what is wrong for me.

Looks pretty anti Leeds to me.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,125 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

you need to get some practice in with your shoe horn
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#37 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

But then isn't there the argument that by reducing the number of teams in the playoffs you are creating more glorified friendlies as a lot more teams mid to bottom in the league have nothing to play for?

If we went to the top 5 rather than the top 8 then there would have been the same number of teams playing pointless friendlies at the end of the season. Wakefield and Bradford would have been cut loose from having a chance of qualifying for the playoffs, whereas Leeds and Hull would have been playing games with real intensity to qualify for the top 5

#38 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

If we went to the top 5 rather than the top 8 then there would have been the same number of teams playing pointless friendlies at the end of the season. Wakefield and Bradford would have been cut loose from having a chance of qualifying for the playoffs, whereas Leeds and Hull would have been playing games with real intensity to qualify for the top 5

So the top teams would have to perform on order to compete.

With top 8 we create the illusion of competition, when in reality we are rewarding mediocraty and allowing our elite teams an easy ride

Surely it's up to Brafford and Wakefield to up their game to compete in the top 5, not drop the qualifying criteria.

#39 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Not quite my point, as technically the teams already in the 8 (like Leeds and Hull) should be aiming to finish as high as possible to get the greatest advantage in the playoffs. I'm more playing devil's advocate here but if the teams already in the 8 choose to drop their intensity once they qualify, that's personal choice and if glorified friendlies happen that's at the risk of the club's chances in the playoffs. If you cut it to five teams, there is no question there will be a lot more pointless matches. It will create more intensity, but only in a couple of cases, it runs the risk of reducing the intensity across the board - while we are in a 14 team league with no relegation at least.

In my ideal world, I guess I'd have a 12 team league, with a 6 team playoff and then one up/one down. That way most teams should be in the mix for something come the end of the year

Edited by Amber Avenger, 09 October 2012 - 08:40 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users