We need a more intense week to week competition.... Dont think anyone would disagree with that. But how do we achieve it. Reduce league would do it, but damage any of the teams dropping out of SL.
I interpret the OP as being about Superleague and not the Rugby Football League structure.
12 teams will do it. There's an admission 14 was too much and 14 leak millions so I wouldn't argue against a drop and be happy that it would strengthen the comp.
That would not entirely do the trick. To me there's a series of problems.
1. A historic uneveness in the squads - some clubs can scrape a good X111 others have quality 1-25. This may change if the following is addressed............
2. Sort out the SL finances, cut the losses and stop clubs going bust. It destroys team building and sets the club back years.
3. Ensure all SL clubs have a decent academy and a wide enough base for it such that you don't get clubs who bring through 20 quality players and other clubs bring through 4 quality players in the same time frame.
4. Make sure every club is spending full cap year on year.
After that it becomes tricky
5. Stop NRL stars who skew the uneveness only being prepared to come over if they can play for a trophy winning club.
6. Stop British stars from failing to negotiate their worth and hanging around trophy winning clubs on less money that they are worth.
After that circumstance will prevent an even comp every match/week.
You may get a fired up Wire slaughter a fed up (with the coach) Broncos. Next time round a fired up Broncos may slaughter a "minds on the cup final resting players" Wire.........