Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Torygraph

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

The Sunday Torygraph covered the Grand Final with an article by Jonathon Liew in the hard copy.

http://www.telegraph...tch-report.html

The paper also noted, in one of its short pieces, that it is twenty five years since the first World Club Challenge final.

#2 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

you read that rag ?
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

The Sunday Torygraph covered the Grand Final with an article by Jonathon Liew in the hard copy.

http://www.telegraph...tch-report.html

The paper also noted, in one of its short pieces, that it is twenty five years since the first World Club Challenge final.

That's good going for the Telegraph.

#4 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

That was very good, shocked... :o
Posted Image

#5 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

you read that rag ?

Aye, what else do you expect we educated Huddersfield fans to read? ;) It was banned in our house when I was a youngster though. :o :)

What rag do you read?

The Monday to Saturday Torygraph is the best paper for coverage of sport, although there is too much space devoted to soccer. The RL coverage has increased since yer man's campaign. There are even articles by Ian Laybourn, the venerable RL journalist, in The Torygraph these days.

#6 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Aye, what else do you expect we educated Huddersfield fans to read? ;) It was banned in our house when I was a youngster though. :o :)

What rag do you read?

The Monday to Saturday Torygraph is the best paper for coverage of sport, although there is too much space devoted to soccer. The RL coverage has increased since yer man's campaign. There are even articles by Ian Laybourn, the venerable RL journalist, in The Torygraph these days.

READ bloody hell i have enough trouble looking at the pictures .

ok serious i read the yorkshire evening post .the mirror . morning star and the I .
of course if the rest of the rags are laying around i look at them as well.

dont think i could carry the torygraph on a weekend let alone read it

Edited by southstand loiner, 07 October 2012 - 08:08 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#7 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Always surprises me when people judge others by the newspaper they read. I personally can't think of any newspaper that is worth reading but I do think the paper you read says a lot less about you than people make out.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Always surprises me when people judge others by the newspaper they read. I personally can't think of any newspaper that is worth reading but I do think the paper you read says a lot less about you than people make out.

I think all newwspapers aew worth reading.

The person who wrote this piece has had a few pops at Rugby League in the past.
He did the GF justice. It's sad that this should be deemed remarkable, but it is.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I think all newwspapers aew worth reading.

The person who wrote this piece has had a few pops at Rugby League in the past.
He did the GF justice. It's sad that this should be deemed remarkable, but it is.

I can't recall him having a go at RL, although I can remember him taking the mickey out of Sky's coverage of RL. He also did a preview piece about the GF on Saturday.

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

I can't recall him having a go at RL, although I can remember him taking the mickey out of Sky's coverage of RL. He also did a preview piece about the GF on Saturday.

maybe it's just an impression I've picked up
He has written about Rugby League a few times.

I'll take your word for it and give credit where it's due: it's a shame that what others take for granted, we have to be thankful for.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Yeah wasn't he the guy who did some sort of 'sold it's soul to sky' type article not long since? or maybe just slagging Stevo?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Slagging Stevo is rather understandable to be fair.

#13 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Yeah wasn't he the guy who did some sort of 'sold it's soul to sky' type article not long since? or maybe just slagging Stevo?

No, that was Calvin IIRC.

#14 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Being a southern-based Torygraph reader I find the RL coverage very poor. The ST's GF report was good, back page in the Sport section, but stand alone and in colour. However, the build up to the final in the DT was nigh on non-existent.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#15 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Being a southern-based Torygraph reader I find the RL coverage very poor. The ST's GF report was good, back page in the Sport section, but stand alone and in colour. However, the build up to the final in the DT was nigh on non-existent.

The amount of coverage has increased but the coverage of regular club games is still very limited compared to RU and soccer. There was an article by J Liew, which focussed on Joel Monaghan.

http://www.telegraph...inst-Leeds.html

I liked Michael Monaghan's comment on the possibility of Joel going to play in France after his spot of bother. :)

#16 Jeffles

Jeffles
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

The Telegraph has a seasoned Rugby League writer on its staff. Jacquelin Magnay, its Olympics Editor was a senior RL journalist at the Sydney Morning Herald. Like her or loathe her, she spent years watching the game as a fan and as a writer. Although she's in a different role, it would be great if someone with her profile at the paper and wth her experience in the game would cover RL once in a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users