TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

When does a team become a great team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#61 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Incidentally, I think the closest any team in SL right now to greatness is Warrington.

If they can crack on and further develop the way they attack, then they can have the kind of long lasting influence I'm talking about.

They are a long way off though.

Probably the only team that really comes close over the past decade has been Melbourne.

That's me.  I'm done.

#62 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

agreed, they have also shown that it takes investment in both and home grown talent to make a team and not big name signings something which leeds have been the biggest culprits of in the past.

I never understand the mentality of a lot of RL fans who constantly see the bad rather than the good. If its constantly the top 1 & 2 in the grand final (as it was for a few years) people moan that its not competitive, but when a team does it from outside the top 2 its a joke!

People have moaned as if Leeds had the easy route to the final, they didn't, Wigan did, but still couldn't do it.

And for those that say Leeds haven't performed until the last month of the season, Leeds have been in All 3 finals on offer this year and won 2, the first one being in February, the second in August and the third in October.

You're forgetting the fact the old system guaranteed one of the top two in the grand final, and even then it was much easier for the second team to get there.

There comparisions between Bolt and Leeds cannot be made, fair enough they are sporting achievements but can barely be put into the same context.

I guess it depends on what you define 'great' as. If you asked the question you'd get lots of different answers.

#63 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

Melbourne Storm? The team that had a title stripped because of major salary cap infringements, I'm not sure how they can be considered great to be honest.

#64 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Wigan in the late eighties and early nineties is the team that most people of the modern era tend to benchmark for comparison. But who are the great teams of recent, or past years, in comparison.

The current Leeds team are amongst the best, Saints from a few years ago were dabbling and Bradford made a stab at it.

I think at the moment Leeds are the leading light.

I think Wigan played many of their successful years as Professionals whilst the rest lagged behind. They certainly could not put that team together on todays salary cap...great side though. 6 titles in 9 years by Leeds is brilliant and many more to come I reckon looking at the youth coming through.

#65 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

I wouldn't say so. I think Leeds and many of their players have a lot of respect and admiration for what they do and how well they do their jobs at the business end. It is the fact that ,particulary the last two seasons , their achievement has been to "win" the end of season play off series rather than be what people percieve of as a "champion" team. There is a difference. Never before has a team deemed to be champions having lost 40% of their league matches. It seems to be perverse to many people. And it does stick in the craw to have to call such a team the best team, clearly they have not been for a majority of the season.

This might be more a reflection on the path the game has taken and the major failings of the current play off format rather than the Leeds club who could be said to be merely playing the system .

In addition this Leeds side has rarely been seen to come up with a performance of blowing another top side away with scintillating RL. Something the Saints , Wigan and Bradord sides could do with aplomb. They are masters of the gritty winning of close games but even mid table teams do not exactly fear them. It would be of great interest if they played an NRL club in mid to late season. For example i would happily wager had Leeds been playing the Storm in Sydney last week they would have struggled to trouble the scoreboard. Makes me a little sad to say that of our "champions".

The rules of the Comp are there for all to see at the beggining of the Season, the Winners of The GF will be Crowned Champions.
If Wigan, Warr, Saints etc are so good and consistent then go and win it for Heavens sake!