• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

IMHO it shouldn't have been closed.
There are developments in the story still arising, and other similar topics have been allowed to go on for far longer
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

I think John got a bit jittery with the expansion of the accusations to include the likes of John Peel.

I'd be happy with another thread, after all, there's a fair bit of mileage in the Jimmy Saville story and behaviour by certain folk within the BBC establishment, it seems.

http://www.dailymail...-girls-him.html

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

thre stuff about Peel was in his own words as I recall.
This is an issue that matters, just as much as the Rochdale scandal
Keeping it local

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

thre stuff about Peel was in his own words as I recall.
This is an issue that matters, just as much as the Rochdale scandal

Lots of accusations about Peel made by Julie Burchill were fictitious, who is a bitter old hack and thinks chavs are working class heroes. For instance, she said there was a 'schoolgirl of the year' competition on his show. In fact, there was no such thing except in maybe her mind. She also said he didn't play black music, which shows what garbage she speaks.

Interestingly, I wonder if the Daily Mail will be hanging out to dry the person who wrote the 'Kinky boots' lyrics (sexy little schoolgirls etc) Maybe not, as it was in fact Herbert Kretzmer, erstwhile theatre critic and journo for...the DM.

But that aside, I agree the thread should not have been closed.

Edited by Johnoco, 07 October 2012 - 11:24 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#5 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

I agree l'ang, I felt it shouldn't have been locked.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

I think John got a bit jittery with the expansion of the accusations to include the likes of John Peel.

Correct.

By the last page of the previous thread, it wasn't actually about Savile any longer, so it seems odd to want to start another thread to keep rehashing what's already been said. But if you must, don't let me stop you... <_<

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Correct.

By the last page of the previous thread, it wasn't actually about Savile any longer, so it seems odd to want to start another thread to keep rehashing what's already been said. But if you must, don't let me stop you... <_<

the Saville case could well be a particularly nauseating tip of an institurionally sleazy iceberg. More is more than likely to come of it.
As for Peel, I was given to understand she was referring to extracts from his own autobiography.
Peel and Saville are dead, many of those who were their collleagues, in charge of them and in charge of the organisations they worked for aren't.
Liz Kershaw described the atmosphere female broadcasters worked in at the BBC in the 80s onward and it wasn't nice, as did Janet Street Porter(also referencing the press) in her column in the IOS.
edit: John you said 'If you must'. Would you rathger people didn't? It is an important topic.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 October 2012 - 09:08 AM.

Keeping it local

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Tweet from Armando Iannucci: lawyers cut line from 'Thick of It' 3yrs ago.'as inevitable as the dungeon they'll find at the bottom of Jimmy Saville's house.'

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

edit: John you said 'If you must'. Would you rathger people didn't? It is an important topic.

So long as it remains within the T&Cs, people can discuss whatever they like on here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#10 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Unfortunately the whole thing could be massive. It's disgusting in more ways than one but how on earth can it be hidden for so long? Sandi Toskvig came out with information yestrday two. 2 or 3 mor people added to the list that have commited "acts".

:angry:

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Isn't there a difference though, between a celebrity using their fame to their advantage by getting people into bed ie groupies and the things Saville is accused of?

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Isn't there a difference though, between a celebrity using their fame to their advantage by getting people into bed ie groupies and the things Saville is accused of?

Saville targetted those below the legal age of consent (for the most part), even if they had been fully willing then it would still have been rape. Plus he was in a position of trust in many of the cases involved.

Society might find it distasteful for a 50-year old DJ / Rock Star / actor to have sex with a 17 year old groupie but it isn't illegal and there is unlikely to be any breech of trust..

Edited by Northern Sol, 08 October 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#13 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

About 6 months ago I was loaned a copy of Savile's autobiography 'Love is an uphill thing' (I gyp you not). It's been sat unread on my reading pile until the weekend, when I had a flick through it. It's tantamount to a confession that he had regular 'dalliances' with teenage girls - and he writes proudly about parents coming home to almost catch him him in bed with their daughters. He also writes somewhat menacingly about 'minders' he employed to 'look after' the girls who flocked to his flat/mobile home.

Unsavoury.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Saville targetted those below the legal age of consent (for the most part), even if they had been fully willing then it would still have been rape. Plus he was in a position of trust in many of the cases involved.

Society might find it distasteful for a 50-year old DJ / Rock Star / actor to have sex with a 17 year old groupie but it isn't illegal and there is unlikely to be any breech of trust..

That's pretty much what I'm driving at. There seems to be a push by people like the DM to tar anyone who might have had dubious sexual morals with the Saville brush.

I aren't talking about groping sex pests here, but consenting adults , something Saville didn't seem interested in.

#15 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

the Saville case could well be a particularly nauseating tip of an institurionally sleazy iceberg. More is more than likely to come of it.
As for Peel, I was given to understand she was referring to extracts from his own autobiography.
Peel and Saville are dead, many of those who were their collleagues, in charge of them and in charge of the organisations they worked for aren't.
Liz Kershaw described the atmosphere female broadcasters worked in at the BBC in the 80s onward and it wasn't nice, as did Janet Street Porter(also referencing the press) in her column in the IOS.

The thing about Liz Kershaw!I posted on another place when this subject came up.I said" Liz for god sake,name the person who sexually assualted you while you were broacasting"The whole thing needs sorting.I think there will be a fair amount of household names getting mentioned,and some may be innocent,the ones who are most guilty are the ones who said nothing and knew what was going on.The Leeds mecca in the 50s early 60s,I wonder if there are any old age pensioners ready to come forward from those days?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#16 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

The thing about Liz Kershaw!I posted on another place when this subject came up.I said" Liz for god sake,name the person who sexually assualted you while you were broacasting"The whole thing needs sorting.I think there will be a fair amount of household names getting mentioned,and some may be innocent,the ones who are most guilty are the ones who said nothing and knew what was going on.The Leeds mecca in the 50s early 60s,I wonder if there are any old age pensioners ready to come forward from those days?

Indeed Sandi Toskvig gets added to the equation. Name a name or don't mention it!!!

#17 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I think John was right to lock the previous thread, given the nature of some of the stuff that was being posted towards the end. I'd have done the same if I was a mod.

It looks like this story will run for quite a long time. The coverage now seems to have widened into stories about the sexual harassment of women, which is even harder to prove as an offence of assault in individual cases, than unlawful sexual intercourse, or assaults upon minors.

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

I think John was right to lock the previous thread, given the nature of some of the stuff that was being posted towards the end. I'd have done the same if I was a mod.

It looks like this story will run for quite a long time. The coverage now seems to have widened into stories about the sexual harassment of women, which is even harder to prove as an offence of assault in individual cases, than unlawful sexual intercourse, or assaults upon minors.

I think that's fair comment
but I disagree
Keeping it local

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Seems like more people are being named and more people are coming out with groping claims daily.
Do you think it was any worse than other work situations where employees have been sexually harassed or is it being made a bigger deal of because they were/are famous? (I don't include Savilles activities in this bit)

#20 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

I think it all should be thoroughly investigated,because I was one of those who were saying RIP to this man a year ago,and even up to a few weeks ago I dismissed these claims.Now I believe these allegations.However if he was still alive and well would he still be walking through Roundhay park waving and chatting to the public,and going in the restaurants on Street Lane signing autographs and posing for photographs?Or would that TV program have been produced and aired anyway and charges brought against Savile?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users