Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

THE JIMMY SAVILLE THREAD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

#201 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'd heard the necrophillia far more as a rumour about Saville than the stuff that has come out prior to this month. I'd thought that might get slightly more press coverage once it came out, but nobody has really run with it so far. For obvious reasons, I guess it must be a lot harder to get evidence for
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#202 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

We are the BBC: we are never wrong.

Only the BBC could run a programme like tonight's Panorama

Those two comments seem contradictory to me.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#203 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

I don't think they are. Did you watch Panorama? . Are you listening to Entwistle? Have you ever listen to or watched Points of View or the equivalent programme on BBC1 at 7.50 on a Saturday morning. These latter programmes consist largely of senior BBC TV managers responding to viewers' comments by saying in essence, "We are the BBC: We are never wrong."

You can see further proof here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ints/complaint/

Search for these keywords: sorry; wrong; mistake; apology. The responses use exactly the same type of language that Entwistle used yesterday when he patronisingly said he'd be "taking questions" at the select committee - rather a distortion, don't you think?

#204 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

I don't think they are. Did you watch Panorama? . Are you listening to Entwistle? Have you ever listen to or watched Points of View or the equivalent programme on BBC1 at 7.50 on a Saturday morning. These latter programmes consist largely of senior BBC TV managers responding to viewers' comments by saying in essence, "We are the BBC: We are never wrong."

Search for these keywords: sorry; wrong; mistake; apology. The responses use exactly the same type of language that Entwistle used yesterday when he patronisingly said he'd be "taking questions" at the select committee - rather a distortion, don't you think?

I did what you said
http://www.guardian....cricket-england

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180544/BBCs-shambolic-Olympics-2012-coverage-Cycling-confusion-blamed-Twitter-fans.html

http://www.telegraph...-inquiries.html

http://www.guardian....queen-abu-hamza

maybe I'm confused and your beef isn't with the apologies, but the way they are worded.

The Saville Scandal is far from over, and the BBC's role in it-and let's face it the other scandals that seem likely to emerge: so their apology in this instance might even be viewed as premature if anything.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 October 2012 - 01:00 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#205 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Paul O'Grady has sounded off about this - he worked in a children's home in the early 70s and at the time Savile visited them the older staff told everyone not to let him be in a room on his own with the children. O'Grady admits he had no idea why, until much later.

I still can't imagine one Murdoch paper investigating another in the way the Panorama did with the Newsnight issue. I'm not shocked by much these days, but the evidence of the woman interviewed for the original programme was harrowing - if I'd seen that, or knew its content, there's no way I'd have ploughed on with the tribute programmes.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#206 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

I did watch Panorama, yes.

It was a programme lambasting the BBC for being wrong about Jimmy Savile, being broadcast on the BBC.

It is important to look and how and why they got it wrong. That's what's happening now. But a lot of people in a lot of organisations were wrong about Jimmy Savile, for over FORTY YEARS! Including a Pope and a former Prime Minister.

Let's remember who the actual villain is here.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#207 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Savile 'fixed it' for The Yorkshire Ripper to meet Frank Bruno in Broadmoor. You couldn't make it up...
Posted Image

Did Frank Bruno use someone else's thumb in this picture or is a photoshop? When did this picture appear on the web?

Seems to me that if it is a fake then this, along with stories about necrophilia such as the non story by the independent, only increase my view that misinformation is the cornerstone of any self regulating industry and we'll never get to the bottom of it all with the cranks and wierdo's jumping on board.

#208 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Did Frank Bruno use someone else's thumb in this picture or is a photoshop? When did this picture appear on the web?

Seems to me that if it is a fake then this, along with stories about necrophilia such as the non story by the independent, only increase my view that misinformation is the cornerstone of any self regulating industry and we'll never get to the bottom of it all with the cranks and wierdo's jumping on board.

I reckon it's a sick fake. As if Bruno doesn't have enough problems
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#209 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's a mason's handshake isn't it?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#210 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

No! Because then the thumb would be on the knuckles of the other guy and be clearly visible in the photo.

#211 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Let's remember who the actual villain is here.

Absolutely..and Savile is the biggest of all. IOf course, I agree with you about the BBC when I wrote in my post yesterday, "Only the BBC could run a programme like tonight's Panorama," ( though by yesterday evening they didn't have much option really) I also wrote that "the BBC delivers Individual excellence at all levels, great people providing best-in-world quality material across a broad spectrum of subjects at a realistic price" However, at corporate level there is an arrogant and patronising attitude best characterised by "We are the BBC: We are never wrong" . It may well be that this belief blinded the Corporation to even the possibility that Savile was up to anything.

Edited by JohnM, 23 October 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#212 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Top of the Pops must have been fun if Saville was presenting & Gary Glitter was on, It's no wonder they bused in kids for the audience
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#213 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Gary Mason?

#214 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I did what you said
http://www.guardian....cricket-england
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180544/BBCs-shambolic-Olympics-2012-coverage-Cycling-confusion-blamed-Twitter-fans.html
http://www.telegraph...-inquiries.html
http://www.guardian....queen-abu-hamza

In these four cases you cite, over three years, they really did not have any option and really they were apologising for what someone else had done or said. Looking at the link to the BBCs complaint section, you'll find dismissive weasel words, sophistry and downright arrogance, exactly as you'll see on BBC! at 10 to 8 on a Saturday morning.

#215 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Absolutely..and Savile is the biggest of all. IOf course, I agree with you about the BBC when I wrote in my post yesterday, "Only the BBC could run a programme like tonight's Panorama," ( though by yesterday evening they didn't have much option really) I also wrote that "the BBC delivers Individual excellence at all levels, great people providing best-in-world quality material across a broad spectrum of subjects at a realistic price" However, at corporate level there is an arrogant and patronising attitude best characterised by "We are the BBC: We are never wrong" . It may well be that this belief blinded the Corporation to even the possibility that Savile was up to anything.

Is there a public or private corporation in the land where 'the suits' behave any differently to how you describe above? Is there any other that would excoriate itself in the way the BBC is now doing?

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#216 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Is there a public or private corporation in the land where 'the suits' behave any differently to how you describe above? Is there any other that would excoriate itself in the way the BBC is now doing?

Its not really like that , though. An analogy: just because everyone else breaks the speed limit does not make it right for me to do so too. Its the BBC I am concerned with not the Bank of Scotland. In any case News International, when exposed to Leveson, was ultimate forced to clean up its act. Also, the BBC has rather been forced into this intense navel gazing. Its initial response especially to the Newsnight issue hardly merits the use of the word excoriate.

I just hope that Entwistle stays to resolve this, for a better and cleaner and less arrogant BBC is clearly needed.

#217 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Could you imagine, say, Kay Burley, grilling Rupert Murdoch or his son over the phone hacking revelations?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#218 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'd certainly agree with JohnM that, in some matters familiar to TRL regulars, BBC executives have been extremely high-handed at times.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#219 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

I just hope that Entwistle stays to resolve this, for a better and cleaner and less arrogant BBC is clearly needed.

You know me and how I regard the BBC but I agree with this.
Fides invicta triumphat

#220 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

According to a report I read in the Times last week, the BBC began 'cleaning up' as soon as the Director General changed. The one in charge at the time of Savile was known for his liberal approach. It is very likely that the BBC has been 'clean' ever since. It's wrong IMO to assume that because there was once a certain regime there that it is still there now.

I wouldn't argue with the arrogant part of your statement though. On a corporate level that attitude does present itself.

Edited by Saintslass, 23 October 2012 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users