Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

THE JIMMY SAVILLE THREAD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

#261 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Where form?

Just gossip really but apparently some people are waiting for the knock on the door.

#262 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,299 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

I've heard arrests are imminent?

Met police said so on tv just now. why warn the bastards? or are they trying to panic them into flight?

#263 jayemm

jayemm
  • Coach
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Police have said that high profile arrests are due to be made today.

#264 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Agree that I don't understand the warnings. Surely they should just do it and not give someone the opportunity to do a runner.

#265 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Combination of Public Relations Dept needing to justify its existence and rolling news channels constantly seeking comment.

LUNEW.jpg

#266 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

I doubt that there will be much danger of people scarpering despite the announcement. Sex offenders are often calculating and superficially co-operative individuals, who would surely know there is little point in adding to any suspicion against them by legging it. They will also know that if these are allegations from quite some time back the likelihood of them being found guilty of an offence, or offences, is low. For example, it is unlikely that there is forensic evidence still in existence, about an alleged sexual crime from 20 years if it is a new allegation. Most sexual crimes are Not witnessed by third parties either, although there have references in the media outlets to some acts being witnessed, eg at "parties." An experienced criminal will know that they can deny all charges and that the police will have difficulty with evidence, give the time and the impact that the crimes have upon the victims' ability to be a "credible" witness/accuser.

Quite why the police choose to announce they are about to do something is another matter. Perhaps it is about being seen to do something, when there is a maelstrom of coverage and speculation. Anyone who has had involvement in such matters knows they need to be approached thoughtfully and steadily, and hasty action can easily result in failure.

#267 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Former TV presenter Freddie Starr has said he will speak to police in connection with alleged abuse carried out by Jimmy Savile.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#268 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,491 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Former TV presenter Freddie Starr has said he will speak to police in connection with alleged abuse carried out by Jimmy Savile.

smart move.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#269 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Well in what could be a surprising, surreal week no surprise in Gary Glitter being the first arrested at 7.15am this morning.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#270 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

What baffles me is how he got away with it for so long. When he was manager at the Mecca in Leeds
http://www.leodis.ne...031028_83919925
he apparently paid off the parents of a girl who alleged he abused her. He was a volunteer hospital porter at LGI, but when he proposed himself to do the same at St James's they turned him down, presumably because there were rumours about his behaviour. There must have been plenty of people over the years who knew how suspect he was but let him get away with it. Indeed in the BBC and NHS's case let him mix unsupervised with children. You have to wonder how many more such people are still in circulation, still carrying out their abominable practises.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#271 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

The independent stirs the pot.

Savile apparently lured young women to his cottage in Scotland.
Prince Charles allegedly sent Savile a Christmas card with the message "give my love to your ladies in Scotland"

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#272 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

The independent stirs the pot.

Savile apparently lured young women to his cottage in Scotland.
Prince Charles allegedly sent Savile a Christmas card with the message "give my love to your ladies in Scotland"

There is apparently no limit on how far this enquiry will go
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#273 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Jimmy Savile has got a lot to answer for ... not least giving Esther Rantzen the chance to shoehorn herself into every TV news bulletin and daily newspaper.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#274 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

There is apparently no limit on how far this enquiry will go

There are, and will be, plenty of limits to the enquiry. Press and other media speculation will run amok until they are tired of it, or some other issue becomes the dog whistle topic.

#275 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

There are, and will be, plenty of limits to the enquiry. Press and other media speculation will run amok until they are tired of it, or some other issue becomes the dog whistle topic.

I would not repeat on here the names of politians from the Thatcher era I have seen mentioned elswhere
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#276 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Savile was 'banned' from any involvement in Children in Need.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-20120302

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#277 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,299 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I would not repeat on here the names of politians from the Thatcher era I have seen mentioned elswhere

why ever not? It is exactly this fear that kept so may of Savile's victims quiet for so long. If you know something, you must say.

#278 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,281 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Libel that's why.

This website would be liable.

#279 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,299 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

If its true, it ain't libel, if it is false, then he is engaging in the worst sort of smear. he can always claim the "public interest" defence.

#280 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,281 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

It's not libel if you can prove it.

If it is true but you can't prove it then it's still libel.

And frankly even if you could prove it, I doubt that John would be too pleased.