Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

THE JIMMY SAVILLE THREAD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

#281 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,462 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

well kit's buggered showaddywaddy's little earners at the Butlins revival weekends good and proper
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#282 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

It's not libel if you can prove it.

If it is true but you can't prove it then it's still libel.

And frankly even if you could prove it, I doubt that John would be too pleased.

Yep, the libel laws here are quite robust in protecting people's reputation, regardless of how tarnished that reputation is. There are plenty of reasons why the UK is where many celebs try to have their libel cases heard here, even when there are reasonable grounds for believing the slander/libel is true.

It is also prohibitively expensive to defend one of these actions and TRL would be jointly liable for any claims against posters as the "publisher" on an actively moderated web forum. TRL don't have tabloid level legal budgets to defend such actions and John/Martyn would be slightly more than miffed if someone endangered the jobs of those at TRL just to publish a rumour.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#283 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yep, the libel laws here are quite robust in protecting people's reputation, regardless of how tarnished that reputation is. There are plenty of reasons why the UK is where many celebs try to have their libel cases heard here, even when there are reasonable grounds for believing the slander/libel is true.

Indeed. South Park satyrised this by having one of the characters say "Say that again and I'll sue you.......in England!"

#284 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

why ever not? It is exactly this fear that kept so may of Savile's victims quiet for so long. If you know something, you must say.

Not on here!

Tell the police. They are the only ones who can investigate and charge the guilty if there is evidence to do so.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#285 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Exactly my point... " If you know something, you must say". but, this...

I would not repeat on here the names of politicians from the Thatcher era I have seen mentioned elsewhere

...so why bring the Thatcher era into it unless implying that this was a product of her influence, or that she in some way interfered to protect someone.

#286 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Exactly my point... " If you know something, you must say". but, this... ...so why bring the Thatcher era into it unless implying that this was a product of her influence, or that she in some way interfered to protect someone.

The rumour mill is in full flow and all sorts of names are being blackened on t'interweb, usually with no proof. It's one of the reasons I locked the original thread on this subject. This one may go the same way as this story appears to be eating itself now.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#287 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Exactly my point... " If you know something, you must say". but, this... ...so why bring the Thatcher era into it unless implying that this was a product of her influence, or that she in some way interfered to protect someone.

Perhaps it is a little clue if you are interested in finding out for yourself. Any mention of Thatcher brings out the paranoia in you.
Fides invicta triumphat

#288 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

I onl used Thatcher's name to give an indication a to how far back it went.I heard this from a preset labour counilor
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#289 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

Perhaps it is a little clue if you are interested in finding out for yourself. Any mention of Thatcher brings out the paranoia in you.

anxiety , fear, irrationality and delusion? You're the Gloucester fan aren't you? :)

#290 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

I onl used Thatcher's name to give an indication a to how far back it went.I heard this from a preset labour counilor

You heard a criticism of Thatcher from a Labour councillor? And you took it seriously? :huh:

#291 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

You heard a criticism of Thatcher from a Labour councillor? And you took it seriously? :huh:

I have just said,it went back to the Thatcher era,meaning it went back to the 1980s
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#292 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

No criticism of Thatcher has been made, merely a reference to the era in which she was in power (ie 1980s). Unless a mere mention of her name is now classed as criticism.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#293 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

Are you saying that Thatcher is some how involve in this sordid afair?
Fides invicta triumphat

#294 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

No criticism of Thatcher has been made, merely a reference to the era in which she was in power (ie 1980s). Unless a mere mention of her name is now classed as criticism.

THANKYOU
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#295 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Lets just talk about the people when arrested. simples.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#296 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Lets just talk about the people when arrested. simples.

I'm pretty sure that's the worst time to talk about them, sub judice.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#297 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

You are right! :o :o

See here: http://www.out-law.com/page-9742

The sub judice rule regulates the publication of matters which are under consideration by the court. Matters are considered to be sub judice (Latin for 'under judgment') once legal proceedings become active.Criminal proceedings are deemed active once a person is arrested, a warrant for arrest has been issued, a summons has been issued or a person has been charged and remain active until conviction. Publication of material which is sub judice comprises contempt of court, a crime which is punishable by a fine of unlimited amount and/or imprisonment for up to two years.

Edited by JohnM, 01 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#298 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://news.sky.com/...ile-abuse-probe

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#299 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

You are right! :o :o

See here: http://www.out-law.com/page-9742

The sub judice rule regulates the publication of matters which are under consideration by the court. Matters are considered to be sub judice (Latin for 'under judgment') once legal proceedings become active.Criminal proceedings are deemed active once a person is arrested, a warrant for arrest has been issued, a summons has been issued or a person has been charged and remain active until conviction. Publication of material which is sub judice comprises contempt of court, a crime which is punishable by a fine of unlimited amount and/or imprisonment for up to two years.

Not every matter related to a case is sub judice though, as evidenced by pre-trial coverage of criminal cases, and the absence of contempt proceedings against media outlets involved.

#300 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Not every matter related to a case is sub judice though, as evidenced by pre-trial coverage of criminal cases, and the absence of contempt proceedings against media outlets involved.

I understand at as you can report on the known facts "A was arrested under suspicion of committing X", what you can't do is speculate on the evidence.

What you can't say is "A was arrested under suspicion of committing X, we believe he was at the scene of the crime because Z told us so and he's obviously guilty as he's been done for it before."

Not sure how accurate my version is, sure a legal bod could clear it up.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.