Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

THE JIMMY SAVILLE THREAD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

#41 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

I take your point, but there is a limit. Children were sent up chimneys in the 1870s (as an example); should we now prosecute all such cases of child exploitation?

Depends how bad the chimneys were swept.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

I take your point, but there is a limit. Children were sent up chimneys in the 1870s (as an example); should we now prosecute all such cases of child exploitation?

chiled labour was legal then, it isn't now.
Saville was already breaking the law.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 10 October 2012 - 01:52 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,068 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Just announced - his headstone will be broken up and dumped as landfill. No doubt there'll be some ghouls who'll have the bits up on eBay if they can find them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Just announced - his headstone will be broken up and dumped as landfill. No doubt there'll be some ghouls who'll have the bits up on eBay if they can find them.

With this happening looks like his family have finally got to accept what he really was..........

#45 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,630 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I Have just heard an expatient from Stoke Mandeville hospital and she said "one of the nurses told me Jimmy Saville is coming today,so if I was you I would feign illness or say y feel weak and need a wheelchair.Then you wont be the chosen one to go with him alone in a room"If these nursres had the slightest suspicion about this man they should have reported it and made sure it was looked into.I cant accept the reasons people put forward to why he got away with it all his lfe
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

I can understand a young girl being too intimidated to speak out or perhaps trying it and being warned off.

But all the people in powerful positions? Not to pick on her only, but Janet Street Porter knew or suspected him but never said anything? Even when she was in a high spot herself?
Paul Gambaccini said he had 'been waiting 30 years for this to come out'? Really? Surely it would have been better coming out then rather then when he is 6ft under!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#47 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

It's astonishing that so much could have been hidden or covered up for so long by so many about one celebrity DJ. And that's all he was, a celebrity DJ. Mafia bosses have wielded less influence than Jimmy Savile seems to have had. Apart from threats of legal action, what else did he have in his armoury to prevent any of this coming to light before he died? What were the people who knew about it afraid of? Not so much the victims, that's understandable, but those others coming forward in their droves now who apparently knew what he was up to. Media institutions have ignored threats of legal action to expose others in the past, why not him? If the evidence is as overwhelming as these investigations now underway suggest, no legal action on his part could possibly have been upheld once it became public.

I suppose it resembles the phone hacking scandal in many ways. That started as a trickle before it became a disgusting flood.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's astonishing that so much could have been hidden or covered up for so long by so many about one celebrity DJ. And that's all he was, a celebrity DJ. Mafia bosses have wielded less influence than Jimmy Savile seems to have had. Apart from threats of legal action, what else did he have in his armoury to prevent any of this coming to light before he died? What were the people who knew about it afraid of? Not so much the victims, that's understandable, but those others coming forward in their droves now who apparently knew what he was up to. Media institutions have ignored threats of legal action to expose others in the past, why not him? If the evidence is as overwhelming as these investigations now underway suggest, no legal action on his part could possibly have been upheld once it became public.

I suppose it resembles the phone hacking scandal in many ways. That started as a trickle before it became a disgusting flood.

Now, that, is the big question IMO.

#49 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

In his autobiography he writes frequently about his 'minders' whose job appeared to be creating a 'secure bubble' in which he could operate. He says of them: "I trained my men well". This tallies with a colleague's story of how he used to send his minders round the student nurse's home at LGI (where he had 'use' of a room) to 'select guests' to visit him, using 'foot in the door' type persuasion.

He also writes of having lads who dared to impose their attentions on his female nightclub punters tied up and beaten.

Unsavoury.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#50 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

the tens of millions of pounds he raised, and the fact that charities, hospitals and so on would be tainted by association with him. This is happening, but could have been worse if he were still alive and open to questioning.
Keeping it local

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

the tens of millions of pounds he raised, and the fact that charities, hospitals and so on would be tainted by association with him. This is happening, but could have been worse if he were still alive and open to questioning.

True. I'm more inclined to believe he had incriminating evidence on people at the top. You can get away with a lot then.

Like that story behind the film 'The Bank Job'

#52 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

True. I'm more inclined to believe he had incriminating evidence on people at the top. You can get away with a lot then.

Like that story behind the film 'The Bank Job'

I wouldn't bet against it John

There's never one reason for most things
Keeping it local

#53 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

I remember on the louis Theroux show when he walked into the Scottish Hospital with his cigar and he said,he'd take his charity money from them if they asked him to put it out,i do think charity money had a lot to do with the silence aswell..........

#54 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

How sad it is that, seemingly, someone who spent a large part of his life being showered with gratitude and plaudits for charity work was only involved in those commendable activities with a view to gaining access to the vulnerable. Believe me, there's more shocking details about Savile's story to come - on top of his predication for underage girls. This man was an absolute abhorration.
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#55 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

Max Clifford stating there are quite a few famous faces who are "keeping an eye" on the situation. Unfortunately this could be quite a big story. Even worse to say it's been covered up for years.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#56 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

How sad it is that, seemingly, someone who spent a large part of his life being showered with gratitude and plaudits for charity work was only involved in those commendable activities with a view to gaining access to the vulnerable. Believe me, there's more shocking details about Savile's story to come - on top of his predication for underage girls. This man was an absolute abhorration.

I'd take a guess that this wasn't his only motivation
Keeping it local

#57 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

I'd take a guess that this wasn't his only motivation

I agree. As already discussed it was a massive blockade to prevent people coming forward being taken seriously. He knew what he was doing IMO, and it's rather devious to say this least.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,068 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#59 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image

Where's his right hand?

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#60 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

I agree. As already discussed it was a massive blockade to prevent people coming forward being taken seriously. He knew what he was doing IMO, and it's rather devious to say this least.

I think thedre are other reasons than a smoke screen, a leverage device and so on. I'd guess that he had a need to feel that people thoiught he was a good person-the more money he raised and the more that people saw him doing in the more the need was fulfilled. We'll never really know.
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users