Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

clare balding

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 drelly

drelly
  • Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Has the rugby league ever had a better ambassador than Clare Balding? I,ve supported the game since 1946 (way before TV realised RL existed). Having lived through the Eddie Waring years,Ray French and many others I could never envisage myself praising a female presenter,but I feel she deserves all the praise heaped upon her. I have no idea which part of the country she hails from but i,m pretty sure she is from a public school ,favoured background. So what she has embraced our game fully and her presentations outstanding .She obviously does her homework and appears to love the game and the people associated with it. Perhaps the game could , in some way , recognise her

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

She comes from Kingsclere, Hampshire and went to Downe house Boarding School and then did English at Cambridge.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Has she left the Beeb now?

I know it was on the cards (do they show any racing any more?) and I notice she was doing the Paralympics on C4.

I hope they can bring her in freelance if she's not there any more.
People called Romans they go the house

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Has she left the Beeb now?

I know it was on the cards (do they show any racing any more?) and I notice she was doing the Paralympics on C4.

I hope they can bring her in freelance if she's not there any more.

She works freelance, she works for channel four racing but will still do work for the BBC when required (i.e. for rugby)

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Her father is Toby Balding the racehorse trainer.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#6 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Having lived through the Eddie Waring years,Ray French and many others I could never envisage myself praising a female presenter,but I feel she deserves all the praise heaped upon her.

Out of interest, why could you never envisage yourself praising a female presenter?

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#7 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

it is quite a baffling statement.

#8 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Her father is Ian Balding, Toby is her uncle.

Just finished reading her book,

Edited by Red Willow, 08 October 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Out of interest, why could you never envisage yourself praising a female presenter?

Because 66 years ago things were a bit different?

I don't care about her gender but it annoys me that she's so damn good that I have to bury my class prejudices when she comes on.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Her father is Ian Balding, Toby his her uncle.

Just finished reading her book,

Whoops!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#11 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Because 66 years ago things were a bit different?

I don't care about her gender but it annoys me that she's so damn good that I have to bury my class prejudices when she comes on.

Class prejudices? Are you so shallow?

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Class prejudices? Are you so shallow?

You wouldn't have any preconceived notion about how a cousin of the queen would judge rugby league and its supporters?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

You wouldn't have any preconceived notion about how a cousin of the queen would judge rugby league and its supporters?

I wouldn't but clearly you would.

Clare Balding once said that she first came to appreciate rugby league watching Wigan with I think it was her uncle in one of their many Challenge Cup trips to Wembley back in the day. She clearly at least listened to the match on Saturday, presumably watched it, given her comments about Sinfield. She was superb on C4 for the Paralympics and great in the aquatics centre during the Olympics. Thankfully she has confirmed that she will be staying with the Challenge Cup now that she has followed the racing over to C4.

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

I enjoy watching Clare balding's raw passion for the game and she comes across as very passionate and enthusiastic about our game, even to the point in which she try's to explain the game as much as she can too neutral non hardcore rugby league fans. I also enjoy her interaction with Jonathan Davies and brain noble, she opens doors and introduces rugby league too a certain section of society that you wouldn't associate with rugby league which is all positive in my book.

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,687 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

...class prejudices ....

What? On here? Never! :lol: :lol:

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

She clearly at least listened to the match on Saturday, presumably watched it, given her comments about Sinfield.

She was at it - she presented the BBC highlights of the final, it was on this the Sinfield comments were made. Hopefully this means she'll also front the internationals as well.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#17 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

What? On here? Never! :lol: :lol:

Oh, their his. This forum is full of lower class hoiks. One wonders sometimes why one bothers.
Some of the plebs on here are worser than my fag at school in arror.

Edited by bearman, 09 October 2012 - 08:26 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Another link, before she got into the sport, is that her dad was a friend of Lord Derby.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users