Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Road Rage Thread - would you have pulled off?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Driving up the A1, Friday evening, busy motorway. I had an Audi in the outside lane sat on my shoulder for a good mile or so while I was in traffic in the middle lane over taking HGV’s. As expected a HGV pulled out in front of me and behind it a little silver Peugeot. At this point I looked in the mirror and the Audi was still there with a line of cars behind it so I made the decision to speed up and indicated to enter the outside lane. At this point the Audi also sped up, so I had to go faster and, as manoeuvring into the outside lane the little Peugeot did the same without indicating, making me hit the brakes and forcing the Audi to hit the brakes hard. I could see this old Audi squirming about although to be fair, I though he deliberately tried to keep me in my lane and was therefore far too close to react properly.

So things eventually settle down and having returned to lane 1 Mr Audi suddenly appeared along-side me and kept his speed very deliberately at my speed. Once he'd got my attention he then started waving his fists and pointing to his muscly arms bulging from his fluorescent jacket. I told him to F. off, although I don’t know why as he wouldn’t have heard me.

When I realised this I simply nodded my head and carried on. He however took major offence at my lack of interest and swerved his car at mine. In a split second I decided not to react and didn’t move. He did it again, trying to push me onto the hard shoulder. I didn’t react, I just nodded my head. What ensued was a five mile face off. Him going apoplectic, swerving about, me looking steely ahead.

At the next junction he papped his horn and pointed to his muscles again, then pointed to the exit. He then sped up and indicated to leave the motorway. I watched him go because frankly it’s a long drive home. However he drove through the junction and back onto the motorway. He pulled alongside me again. Another 5 miles of rage on his part and steely resolve on mine. Eventually he got bored. He realised I wasn’t going to be baited, so with his arms making exaggerated chicken flapping motions, he sped off.

So in the cold light of day did I do the right thing and carry on or should I have pulled off the motorway to confront Audi man? What would you have done? Was it you?

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,688 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

You did the right thing, although perhaps a wave of apology would've defused any tension.

For some reason when certain characters get behind the wheel they turn into complete arseholes. Last week I was driving home behind a BMW 7 series (why is it always BMW drivers) and went to overtake him (2 lane carriageway, he wasn't going fast and I didn't break the speed limit). He sped up to the speed limit and I thought fair enough I'll go behind him. Then he slows right down, I try another overtake and the same thing happens. So I'm driving behind him and he starts stabbing his breaks. I flash the lights at him and keep my distance. At the next set of lights I was alongside him and he was giving me an obscene hand gesture. I laughed (because it annoys these people more than getting angry) but it does make me wonder what the guys problem was.

Edited by Severus, 09 October 2012 - 11:32 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

You did the right thing, although perhaps a wave of apology would've defused any tension.

For some reason when certain characters get behind the wheel they turn into complete arseholes. Last week I was driving home behind a BMW 7 series (why is it always BMW drivers) and went to overtake him (2 lane carriageway, he wasn't going fast and I didn't break the speed limit). He sped up to the speed limit and I thought fair enough I'll go behind him. Then he slows right down, I try another overtake and the same thing happens. So I'm driving behind him and he starts stabbing his breaks. I flash the lights at him and keep my distance. At the next set of lights I was alongside him and he was giving me an obscene hand gesture. I laughed (because it annoys these people more than getting angry) but it does make me wonder what the guys problem was.

That's what I do in that situation these days, laugh and give them a friendly little wave*; tends to wind them up even more for some reason. :rolleyes:

*Unless I have done SOMETHING wrong, in which case I would make some apologetic gesture.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

If you were on headphone, you could have called 999 and said you were being threatened and bullied by a dangerous driver.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,688 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

I see some really odd behaviour when I'm out on my bike. For some reason some drivers really have a problem with cyclists. The other week I was cycling down Deansgate when a taxi over takes me and tries to force me into the kerb. I slow down and he goes in front of me kerb crawling slowly. I overtake on the outside and then he tries to block me and force me into on coming traffic but I managed to accelerate away. He then gives me a long blast of his horn. I haven't a clue what his problem was, just baffling.
Fides invicta triumphat

#6 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

I see some really odd behaviour when I'm out on my bike. For some reason some drivers really have a problem with cyclists. The other week I was cycling down Deansgate when a taxi over takes me and tries to force me into the kerb. I slow down and he goes in front of me kerb crawling slowly. I overtake on the outside and then he tries to block me and force me into on coming traffic but I managed to accelerate away. He then gives me a long blast of his horn. I haven't a clue what his problem was, just baffling.

ever ridden in Holland? If you have to venture on a road, everyone stops for you

I stopped for a funeral cortege and another driver had a go at some of the followers on motorbikes as they didn't stop for me!

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

At this point the Audi also sped up,

If I understand the position correctly, this is where with hindsight it might have been better to just get out of the way and leave him to it.

#8 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Remind the panel what you drive and there may be some understanding :P
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#9 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

If I understand the position correctly, this is where with hindsight it might have been better to just get out of the way and leave him to it.

Possibly but on hindsight I was wondering whether I should have bowed to his wishes and gone off the motorway armed with a wheel brace.

#10 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I walk virtually everywhere these days

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

You definitely did the right thing. A few years back I probably would have been gesturing back etc but nowadays would probably just have ignored him completely. If you think about where you were driving, all it takes is that split second of losing concentration and.....

Deffo not worth it, he'll still be a prat whatever happens.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I walk virtually everywhere these days

Even on the A1? :)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#13 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Even on the A1? :)

Depends on how ###### your car is

I was driving my dad's 1996 SAAB convertible at the time, as he was away on a cruise. Maybe the car was a factor?

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Possibly but on hindsight I was wondering whether I should have bowed to his wishes and gone off the motorway armed with a wheel brace.

best not to have done, I reckon. Too many of these already. We don't want to lose you from the forum,

#15 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,688 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Depends on how ###### your car is

I was driving my dad's 1996 SAAB convertible at the time, as he was away on a cruise. Maybe the car was a factor?

Possibly. I drive what is perceived to be a flash car (it really isn't) and I've noticed people's behaviour changes than when I drive other cars.
Fides invicta triumphat

#16 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Had a similar incident back in January. I changed lanes, giving the car behind about 50 metres and 10 seconds' notice - but, for some reason it irritated the bloke behind. He accelerated level, gesticulating and shouting, I just shook my head at him and headed for my exit junction. He pulled across two lanes of traffic, followed up the slip road and basically pulled his car across the slip road exit, blocking my - and everyone else's exit. He then ran screaming at my car and began pounding on the passenger window like a man possessed. Realising I wasn't going to get out of the car and fight him on a slip road at 7.15 in the morning, he got bored, kicked a dent in my door, got back in his S reg Mondeo and drove off. I was pretty shaken and didn't get his reg number, but there's no point engaging with these idiots.

The have no concern for their own safety in these situations and it's reasonable to presume that they'd have no concern for yours, so god knows where it'd end up. Better to let then drive off and hope that their lunacy ends with a fire crew cutting their body out of the mangled wreckage of their car at some point in the future.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#17 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

I just tend to drive nowadays on the basis that everyone is a lunatic. Then when you meet one, you're not disappointed. :D This theory works particularly well when out on my motorbike. B)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#18 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

best not to have done, I reckon. Too many of these already. We don't want to lose you from the forum,

I think I may have dodged a bullet!

#19 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Had a similar incident back in January. I changed lanes, giving the car behind about 50 metres and 10 seconds' notice - but, for some reason it irritated the bloke behind. He accelerated level, gesticulating and shouting, I just shook my head at him and headed for my exit junction. He pulled across two lanes of traffic, followed up the slip road and basically pulled his car across the slip road exit, blocking my - and everyone else's exit. He then ran screaming at my car and began pounding on the passenger window like a man possessed. Realising I wasn't going to get out of the car and fight him on a slip road at 7.15 in the morning, he got bored, kicked a dent in my door, got back in his S reg Mondeo and drove off. I was pretty shaken and didn't get his reg number, but there's no point engaging with these idiots.

The have no concern for their own safety in these situations and it's reasonable to presume that they'd have no concern for yours, so god knows where it'd end up. Better to let then drive off and hope that their lunacy ends with a fire crew cutting their body out of the mangled wreckage of their car at some point in the future.

He's moving up in the world and got a purple Audi A6 now.

#20 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

He's moving up in the world and got a purple Audi A6 now.

My other half and me often comment that people who wear hi-vis jackets are compelled to do so, not out of H&S concerns, but so the rest of us know who the idiots are.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users