Photo
- - - - -

The Road Rage Thread - would you have pulled off?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Its that time of year again, dark mornings and 6 knobhead cyclists to pass before i get to work with no lights and black clothing, i have actually hit 2 in the last year, broke the wrist of one of them, tossers.

How nice. Of course they are idiots for not wearing the right clothing and not having lights but there must be something wrong with your driving if you have had collisions with two cyclists. I hope you gave your details to the one who broke his wrist, I expect your car insurance premiums might take a hit.
Fides invicta triumphat

#42 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Of course they are idiots for not wearing the right clothing and not having lights but there must be something wrong with your driving if you have had collisions with two cyclists.

Do you drive? Do you drive in rush hour, when it's dark? Do you know just how you cannot see cycles without lights when it's dark and there are oncoming car lights? They are just invisible. So it is no surprise they get knocked over if they cycle in the dark without lights.

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Do you drive? Do you drive in rush hour, when it's dark? Do you know just how you cannot see cycles without lights when it's dark and there are oncoming car lights? They are just invisible. So it is no surprise they get knocked over if they cycle in the dark without lights.

How many unlit pedestrians crossing the road have you hit?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#44 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

How many unlit pedestrians crossing the road have you hit?

None but if a pedestrian crossed some of the roads I travel along during rush hour without wearing any reflective clothing I wouldn't be able to see them and if they timed it right, I would hit them. One of my worries about so many of the cyclists I encounter on my commute is that I will hit them because some of them are just outright stupid. They pull into the lane ahead of me, for example, which may be advised but to do it without signalling first is just idiotic, especially when they do it at, say, traffic lights and I'm accelerating. Of course not all of the cyclists are daft. Some know how to behave on the road but sadly, certainly where I travel, they are in the minority.

#45 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

.......or you could spot a potential hazard and adjust your driving to take it into account.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#46 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

I was once on the way home from a game. A guy had done his knee and was in the backseat and we were taking him to hospital. We were at the lights and the driver was a fraction of a second too slow (he had turned around to see if our mate, who was in pain, was okay). A car behind us beeped it's horn. Well, more like leaned on it for about 20 seconds. Of course someone in our car gave them the finger. This car pulled alongside us and started gesticulating for us to pull over. Two mullet-sporting bogans in tracksuits were in the car and we could see from their spittle flecked mouths they were a tad angry. We kept driving but these guys kept pulling in front of us making us slam on the brakes. This wasn't good considering every sudden movement made our mate scream in pain. After about 5 minutes, the driver said "Enough of this charade" and pulled over.

The look on the faces of the two guys in the other car when 3 rather large rugby players (and one weedy halfback, me) hopped out of the car was priceless. I even saw one of them say "Ohhh ######" as they jumped back into their car and sped off.

In conclusion, road rage is bad. People turn weird when they are behind the wheel.

#47 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Its that time of year again, dark mornings and 6 knobhead cyclists to pass before i get to work with no lights and black clothing, i have actually hit 2 in the last year, broke the wrist of one of them, tossers.

I'm surprised you still have a driving licence, especially as it sounds from your attitude that you appear to be claiming these accidents with cyclists as some kind of trophies.

Were the police involved at all?

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#48 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Yes I do drive and yes I do drive at rush hour. I must be a good driver because I've never had a problem with cyclists. :rolleyes:

You might want to get your eyesight checked if you can't see a cyclist even without lights. Of course, that is if you are actually driving properly and using your mirrors.

Edited by Severus, 20 October 2012 - 10:34 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#49 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

None but if a pedestrian crossed some of the roads I travel along during rush hour without wearing any reflective clothing I wouldn't be able to see them and if they timed it right, I would hit them. One of my worries about so many of the cyclists I encounter on my commute is that I will hit them because some of them are just outright stupid. They pull into the lane ahead of me, for example, which may be advised but to do it without signalling first is just idiotic, especially when they do it at, say, traffic lights and I'm accelerating. Of course not all of the cyclists are daft. Some know how to behave on the road but sadly, certainly where I travel, they are in the minority.

O Lordy you aren't doing yourself any favours with your posts here. It is perhaps inadvisable to overtake a cyclist from the lights until it is safe to do so. Of course you probably know that according to the Highway Code you should leave at least 3 feet of space when overtaking a cyclist because a cyclist may have to swerve to avoid obstacles, pot holes, drains etc. If you cannot leave 3 feet if space then it is not safe to overtake.

In my experience the majority of car drivers are courteous to cyclists. The ones that worry me are the aggressive drivers and the incompetent.
Fides invicta triumphat

#50 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Of course you probably know that according to the Highway Code you should leave at least 3 feet of space when overtaking a cyclist because a cyclist may have to swerve to avoid obstacles, pot holes, drains etc. If you cannot leave 3 feet if space then it is not safe to overtake.

The highway code does not state 3 feet.

Have a look here to check it out

As a driving instructor it would be impossible to teach that.
How would someone judge 3ft whilst driving a car?
Most young people have no idea about 3ft as they use metric.

#51 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

The highway code does not state 3 feet.

Have a look here to check it out

As a driving instructor it would be impossible to teach that.
How would someone judge 3ft whilst driving a car?
Most young people have no idea about 3ft as they use metric.

I bow to your greater knowledge. When I did a cycling proficiency course we were taught the three feet rule. The HC from your link suggests to leave more than three feet, which I welcome as a cyclist.

Edited by Severus, 21 October 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#52 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

I bow to your greater knowledge. When I did a cycling proficiency course we were taught the three feet rule. The HC from your link suggests to leave more than three feet, which I welcome as a cyclist.

Not having a dig.
Its amazing how much has changed since people learnt years ago.
A good refresher session with a driving instructor would go along way to helping a lot of drivers out there.

Also have a good read of the latest Highway code would also help drivers/cyclists as well.

#53 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

O Lordy you aren't doing yourself any favours with your posts here. It is perhaps inadvisable to overtake a cyclist from the lights until it is safe to do so.

Really? Well, I wouldn't have guessed that one! However, if you read my post I said that cyclists PULL OUT IN FRONT OF ME. I didn't actually mention overtaking them. But they PULL OUT IN FRONT OF ME without actually letting me know first. Because I am a good driver, I always signal if I intend to move away from my lane, checking first that there is no car on my shoulder. Cyclists on the whole don't do that. They just pull out. No hand signal, no checking over their shoulder first. The cyclists that do signal and look over their shoulder don't cause a problem at all, other than the minor annoyance of slowing everybody down but that is only a minor annoyance because either I need to get to work by a set time or I want to get home as quickly as possible, both very reasonable emotions when on a commute. Should I encounter cyclists at other times of the day - which I very rarely do (except when it is warm and sunny, ie rarely this year) - even the slowing down the traffic doesn't bother me as I'm a relaxed driver. However, YMMV.

Edited by Saintslass, 21 October 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#54 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

You might want to get your eyesight checked if you can't see a cyclist even without lights. Of course, that is if you are actually driving properly and using your mirrors.

No good using my mirrors if the cyclist is in front of me is it? In fact, if I was using my mirrors and a cyclist was in front of me I would be more likely to crash into the cyclist. What kind of driver are you?

Clearly you don't drive along country lanes on your commute.

#55 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Because I am a good driver,

The cyclists that do signal and look over their shoulder don't cause a problem at all, other than the minor annoyance of slowing everybody down but that is only a minor annoyance because either I need to get to work by a set time or I want to get home as quickly as possible,

If you are a good driver. How do you suffer any annoyance. If you allowed enough time. They would not cause you any problem whilst legally overtaking/moving lane.

#56 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

If you are a good driver. How do you suffer any annoyance. If you allowed enough time. They would not cause you any problem whilst legally overtaking/moving lane.

You are putting all the onus on the car driver. However, it takes two to tango in all walks of life and that is the case on the road shared by cyclists, motorcyclists, other motor vehicles and, when crossing, pedestrians too. Cyclists should take responsibility for their own safety as well as other road users watching out for them. I am happy with my approach to cyclists which is always, without exception, considerate. However, my complaint was with those cyclists who think they have the right to totally ignore the rules of the road and also leave common sense behind when they mount their bikes. They are a real problem for all other road users and part of that idiotic behaviour is not signalling their intention when on the road, not using lights on their bikes (for which they can be fined on the spot incidentally), jumping red lights (again, they can be fined), cycling two abreast, cyling on the wrong side of the road, and not wearing helmets, which I find ludicrous. However, as I said earlier on, there ARE some cyclists who do obey the rules of the road and do bring common sense with them when they mount their bikes and they don't present me with any problems at all.

As for my MILD annoyance at being slowed down, I'm MILDLY annoyed by a number of things which slow me down: for example, car drivers who refuse to drive to the speed limit when conditions are fine and there is a clear road ahead. I believe a driver can still fail their driving test for such behaviour. I also get MILDLY annoyed by drivers who stop at traffic lights but leave a massive gap until the next car, or who slow down for no apparent reason or who don't use indicators or who cut me up. There are a lot of things that mildly annoy me while on a commute. I treat them all the same. I just call them idiots. They can't hear me because they aren't in the car with me but it certainly helps ease my mild annoyances during commutes.

I don't believe a single person who claims they don't get mildly annoyed by other road users at some point during their car journeys, especially on commutes.

Edited by Saintslass, 21 October 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#57 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

You are putting all the onus on the car driver. However, it takes two to tango in all walks of life and that is the case on the road shared by cyclists, motorcyclists, other motor vehicles and, when crossing, pedestrians too. Cyclists should take responsibility for their own safety as well as other road users watching out for them. I am happy with my approach to cyclists which is always, without exception, considerate. However, my complaint was with those cyclists who think they have the right to totally ignore the rules of the road and also leave common sense behind when they mount their bikes. They are a real problem for all other road users and part of that idiotic behaviour is not signalling their intention when on the road, not using lights on their bikes (for which they can be fined on the spot incidentally), jumping red lights (again, they can be fined), cycling two abreast, cyling on the wrong side of the road, and not wearing helmets

No cyclist wants to be involved in a collision with a car, the onus has to be on the car driver not to drive into another road user. If a cyclists swerves out in front if you and you are in danger of hitting them, you probably haven't given them enough room. A cyclist will always come off worse in a collision and possibly require a stay in hospital (I know from personal experience). There may be a reason why a cyclists has to pull out suddenly, e.g., pot holes although I agree that those cyclists who jump red lights are annoying. BTW riding two abreast is perfectly legal and recommended practice in some situations as it reduces the space needed to overtake.

Riding a bicycle in busy roads means you have to be constantly aware if possible dangers. Whether its pedestrian stepping out into you, cars cutting you up, getting doored by parked cars and cars in traffic, cars pulling out if side roads without looking and aggressive and drivers who seem to want to injure you. I hae experienced all of the above during my commute, just a little consideration on the part of drivers (of which I am one) and pedestrians makes everyone's life easier.

Edited by Severus, 21 October 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#58 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

If a cyclists swerves out in front if you and you are in danger of hitting them, you probably haven't given them enough room.

That's rubbish. I have seen many cyclists who deliberately swerve in and out of traffic, often without looking, as they seem to think that they do not have to slow down or obey rules of the road and that it is the motorists obligation to give way to them. They constantly ignore traffic lights and put themselves in danger. I saw one the other day who, despite the lights being on red, pulled out into the middle of a yellow box junction so he was side on to the oncoming traffic forcing them to swerve around him while he stood there. Idiots like that can have no complaint if a car hits them as they have brought it on themself.

#59 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

That's rubbish. I have seen many cyclists who deliberately swerve in and out of traffic, often without looking, as they seem to think that they do not have to slow down or obey rules of the road and that it is the motorists obligation to give way to them. They constantly ignore traffic lights and put themselves in danger. I saw one the other day who, despite the lights being on red, pulled out into the middle of a yellow box junction so he was side on to the oncoming traffic forcing them to swerve around him while he stood there. Idiots like that can have no complaint if a car hits them as they have brought it on themself.

I agree that what you have described is idiotic behaviour. But sometimes swerving is unavoidable on a bike. The cyclist has a choice between going over the handlebars or swerving out. This is why cars should give cyclists room.

I have lights on my bike, wear a hi vis jacket, obey the rules if the road, and never run red lights. Why is it that on an almost daily basis I experience dangerous behaviour from car drivers and pedestrians alike? Why do I get verbal abuse when I am on my bike? The is a worrying anti cyclist sentiment from people in this country.
Fides invicta triumphat

#60 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

No cyclist wants to be involved in a collision with a car, the onus has to be on the car driver not to drive into another road user.

And unless you are a nutjob sick sod white van man in Cardiff, no car driver wants to be involved in a collision with a cyclist. ALL road users have to take responsibility for themselves as well as each other. Some cyclists need to take more responsibility for themselves.

If a cyclists swerves out in front if you and you are in danger of hitting them, you probably haven't given them enough room.

lol! I am behind them. They pull out IN FRONT of me. Did you not read the words IN FRONT OF? How can I not be giving them enough room when they are IN FRONT OF me?

A cyclist will always come off worse in a collision

Indeed. Which is why it should be the case that all cyclists would obey the rules of the road, bring common sense on to their bike and wear helmets. However, so often these factors are absent from cyclists.

BTW riding two abreast is perfectly legal and recommended practice in some situations as it reduces the space needed to overtake.

That is asking for trouble. Exactly where is it recommended practice? It used to be outlawed practice.

Riding a bicycle in busy roads means you have to be constantly aware if possible dangers. Whether its pedestrian stepping out into you, cars cutting you up, getting doored by parked cars and cars in traffic, cars pulling out if side roads without looking and aggressive and drivers who seem to want to injure you.

And how is that any different from being a car driver?

Edited by Saintslass, 21 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users