Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Question on rules and tactics

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I am a late comer to rl but for the last couple of years have been going to various amateur games in the south east. I have decided to ask a couple of questions that have puzzled me for a while. Hope someone can help.

Rules. I have seen on quite a few occasions, an attacking player with the ball has been 'stopped upright' from moving forward, and then been bundled out of the field of play into touch. 50% of the time the ref awards a scrum to the defending team and 50% of the time he penalises them. There is obviously something I am missing here, what is it I should be looking out for that would tell me if its a 'good tackle' or giving away a penalty.

Tactics. I watched one game where every time 'team A' kicked off, the kicker always kicked to the same opposition player (who always caught it). In the second half, at kick offs, Team A's kicker began to kick the ball all over the park, all to different players. One of the spectators from the (Northern) visiting team said to me that he shouldn't do that, as everyone knows its good tactics to always kick to the same man all through the game as the more you kick to him, the more chance he will drop it. I thought that if you are kicking to one player who always catches it, it would be good tactics to spread the ball around and look for a weaker catcher. What do you rl old timers think, is this standard kicking practice, which is the best?

#2 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Rules: When the referee calls held the defending players have to release the player and must not drag him into touch, or in goal, to gain an advantage. This is the referee's discretion and you will find a difference between refs (and you'll see similar slight differences in interpretation even at pro level). If the momentum is stopped then the ref should call held - if a second defender joins and lends reasonable weight then ref should call held.

Tactics: I prefer targetting someone who has already dropped it or to spray it around and see who might. This season one opposition side kicked to our best runner who made about 60m back up the field. Next kick off they did it again and this time he scored. Didn't seem like a good idea to me.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#3 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Tactics:

Lots of people give reasons why a team will always kick the same way and the reasons are sometimes contradictory - some sides feel their defence is stronger on one side so repeatedly kick that way (and will stack that side with defenders), or, they may feel the opponent on that side of the pitch is weaker so want to kick to him - or, and this might seem counter-intuitive, they might feel the ball carrier is stronger on that side and they'd prefer to 'make him work' on the first drive when they've an organised defensive structure to contain him. that player is less likely to take a carry later in the set as a result.

All a much of a much-ness in the end I think, but if someone looks like they'll drop it - kick to them. If they move, kick to them again.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Rules. I have seen on quite a few occasions, an attacking player with the ball has been 'stopped upright' from moving forward, and then been bundled out of the field of play into touch. 50% of the time the ref awards a scrum to the defending team and 50% of the time he penalises them. There is obviously something I am missing here, what is it I should be looking out for that would tell me if its a 'good tackle' or giving away a penalty.

If the referee hasn't called Held, the defenders are allowed to push into touch, but not pull

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Drag being the preferred term....

#6 Back Row Forward

Back Row Forward
  • Coach
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

A lot of kickers spend time practising their restarts in order to be able to get it to drop in the same place time after time.
Ideally you want a long kick, taking time to come down so your defensive line can take the yards off them. You therefore make a team work further down the field to score, so hence why some kickers just kick to the same man time after time, whether he drops it or not.
Champions arenŽt made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision - Muhammad Ali

#7 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Cheers Gents, thanks for the answers. Just one more question before I go. I always thought there were two governing bodies for RL in this country, the RFL and Barla, but where does the NCL fall in this. Is it a third governing body that runs the NCL, or is it an offshoot which is governed by the RFL or Barla. Very confusing.

#8 raoul

raoul
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Cheers Gents, thanks for the answers. Just one more question before I go. I always thought there were two governing bodies for RL in this country, the RFL and Barla, but where does the NCL fall in this. Is it a third governing body that runs the NCL, or is it an offshoot which is governed by the RFL or Barla. Very confusing.

Not the question to ask on here unless you are after 25 pages of bickering between del capo and marauder.

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Not the question to ask on here unless you are after 25 pages of bickering between del capo and marauder.

NCL where part of BARLA but went over (unofficially) to the darkside about 15 years ago, they are now openly (But don't admit it) controlled by the governing body (RFL)
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#10 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

NCL where part of BARLA but went over (unofficially) to the darkside about 15 years ago, they are now openly (But don't admit it) controlled by the governing body (RFL)

And I thought I was confused before I asked :huh:

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

And I thought I was confused before I asked :huh:

The answer is somewhere between the Free Masons and the KKK B)

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Make your mind up. If they don't admit it, then they're not open about it!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

That makes no sense whatsoever.
Posted Image

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Exactly, do the RFL make any sense and before you answer with a yes just look back over the last ten years never mind one hundred.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users