TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Steve Prescott admitted to hospital after charity challenge

SPF media release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Former rugby league player Steve Prescott, MBE, has been admitted to hospital following his participation in the grueling 48 hour Engage Mutual Race to the Grand Final. The challenge, which saw Prescott swim, run, cycle and canoe his way from Hull to Manchester, left him significantly drained and he reported experiencing severe stomach pains on Sunday afternoon.

As the pain worsened, Steve, who was diagnosed with a rare form of abdominal cancer in 2006, was admitted to hospital on Monday evening. Following a series of tests, doctors have established that due to the rigors of the challenge he has lost a substantial amount of natural fuels and fluids, including electrolytes, meaning his bowel is unable to function.

Doctors have prescribed a range of treatments and while gradually bringing his fluid levels back to normal, he was also administered a course of morphine to relieve the pain, and remained in hospital overnight under observation. This morning, Steve is said to be responding well to treatment but will remain in hospital, under medical observation, for the next day or so.

On Saturday, the former rugby league fullback successfully completed his latest endurance challenge to raise money for the Steve Prescott Foundation, which supports The Christie cancer hospital in Manchester and the Rugby League Benevolent Fund.

The Race to the Grand Final saw the former rugby league ace run across the Humber Bridge, swim a mile in open water and then cycle from Hull to Liverpool where he swam the Mersey, before running between Liverpool and Runcorn. Finally Steve canoed up the Bridgewater Canal to Old Trafford in Manchester. If you would like to donate to Steve’s Foundation please go to www.justgiving.com/StevePrescott1

Martin Blondel
Secretary - Steve Prescott Foundation

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

That is one brave man.

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

That is one brave man.

here here
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Tremendous courage, has Steve. I hope he gets better soon and gets back home to his family.

#5 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

All the best Prekkie.

Good luck in overcoming this latest challenge.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Good luck and get well soon Steve.

One inspirational guy.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

One inspirational guy.

Well said Padge

Totally agree.

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

One inspirational guy.

+1
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hope he gets better soon. Can't be easy to put it mildly.

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

A man considered not worthy of holding the Olympic Torch.
The selectors of that should hang their head in shame!
Posted Image

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

A man considered not worthy of holding the Olympic Torch.
The selectors of that should hang their head in shame!

+1