Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ball playing loose forward

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Would be good to get a sinfield type of player,good hands and kicking game,which wud give us more kickers to take pressure off others

#2 GoldDog

GoldDog
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Does such a player exist at our level - and Sinfield plays at / like a number 6 anyway. Probably the closest you're going to get has just joined Halifax.

Applegarth has got a good pair of hands on him so you could stick him there all season.

#3 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yes he has got a good pair of hands,just dreaming really,yes sinfield does play more 6,suppose got enough good kickers in squad to do well,murrell would have been good but prob on bigger money than we can afford,Jk know better than me

#4 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Very few, if any ball playing Loose Forwards now. Most are more workhorses.

Even Leeds have been playing Bailey at Loose Forward this season!!.

Edited by vitocorleone, 10 October 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#5 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yes suppose you don't anymore such as applegarth or ash work horses, if black plays as good as he has and Moore think be creative enough,think Flanagan will be dangerous as ever he can kick,loves to take the line on and scores tries,can't wait for Boxing Day

#6 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yes suppose you don't anymore such as applegarth or ash work horses, if black plays as good as he has and Moore think be creative enough,think Flanagan will be dangerous as ever he can kick,loves to take the line on and scores tries,can't wait for Boxing Day

I can't wait for Boxing Day too.

#7 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

George will defo score a try Boxing Day :)

#8 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

George will defo score a try Boxing Day :)

Quite likely, I assume he will get more game time than the customary twenty minutes every other game he got with us. :angry:

#9 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I miss the traditional creative loose-forwards, and firmly believe they're a feature of the game from days gone by that is sorely missed in contemporary RL. I loved to watch the ball skills of guys like Phil Mirfin, Mike Kuiti and Dave Heron as a kid. However, from this perspective, the ideal 13 in modern RL would have to be someone who was able to create, kick AND make yards. How many 13's with such a skill set are out there, these days? I can barely think if any.
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#10 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I miss the traditional creative loose-forwards, and firmly believe they're a feature of the game from days gone by that is sorely missed in contemporary RL. I loved to watch the ball skills of guys like Phil Mirfin, Mike Kuiti and Dave Heron as a kid. However, from this perspective, the ideal 13 in modern RL would have to be someone who was able to create, kick AND make yards. How many 13's with such a skill set are out there, these days? I can barely think if any.

Bit before your time Harold but John Carrol was excellant. His slight of hand was to be seen. I too miss the skills of a ball playing loose forward. The constant driving in of the ball and kick on the last does get boring at times.

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Bit before your time Harold but John Carrol was excellant. His slight of hand was to be seen. I too miss the skills of a ball playing loose forward. The constant driving in of the ball and kick on the last does get boring at times.

I think it was the arrival of the all conquering Aussies who arrived at the end of the seventies and early eighties who ended that role, though at the time, my favourite player was Knocker Norton, who had all the skills and was a pleasure to watch.

#12 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Does anyone remember Phil Doyle(60s).He was a pleasure to watch.Very underestimated local lad.
Sadly passed away at an early age.Loose forward of great skill.

#13 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Do you remember John coming into the long stand one game to sort a gobby fan out ???

#14 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Do you remember John coming into the long stand one game to sort a gobby fan out ???

Yep, and he got away with it! With play heading towards the bottom end of the field the officials didn't spot his going into the top end of the long stand to 'remonstrate' with a critical supporter. I seem to remember that there was a similar incidence at Headingley during the same season which drew a great deal more attention.

On the subject of ball playing forwards Alan Tonks was superb. He was, in my opinion, more succesful than Carrol in this role at Batley because he had better support from those around him. Another player that had all the ball playing skills and was a pleasure to see in a Batley shirt was Don Fox. Fox, like Carrol, was sometimes let down by a lack of supporting runners.

The best ball playing forward that I ever saw was Batten at Leeds. He put Second row Bob Haigh over for an extraordinary number of trys one season. The oppostion knew what to expect from him near the line but were still bamboozled by his skills..

Phil Doyle, mentioned earlier,was also a prince among loose forwards. I think that he fell into the category of not quite fast enough to play stand off at top level, not quite big enough to be an International forward, but he did represent Yorkshire.

#15 Chris_T

Chris_T
  • Coach
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Phil Joseph released by the Bulls?, Not Kevin Sinfield i know but a decent ball handling forward at this level and good cover for prop and hooker.

#16 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

If I remember rightly John Carroll was flattened standing up in the tackle looking for support
He was receiving treatment from physio Gordon Gray Cowans when the red mist came and he threw poor
Gordon to one side before he jumped the railings to confront someone who had being heckling over a long period.

#17 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

What about Les Holliday, outstanding ball handling 13 with a great kicking game, not any about these days, is it a change in the way the game is played or coaching preferences

Posted Image

#18 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

What about Les Holliday, outstanding ball handling 13 with a great kicking game, not any about these days, is it a change in the way the game is played or coaching preferences

I guess that ball playing loose forwards are unfashionable. There seems to be a set theory as to how a game should be structured which does not develop and encourage this skill. The two finest ball playing forwards of this era are possibly Gallagher and Cooke. That both ply their trade in the Championship shows how the ball playing forward as fallen from grace. Incidentally, it struck me that in a different era Mark Toohey might have developed into a top notch ball playing loose forward.

#19 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

I guess that ball playing loose forwards are unfashionable. There seems to be a set theory as to how a game should be structured which does not develop and encourage this skill. The two finest ball playing forwards of this era are possibly Gallagher and Cooke. That both ply their trade in the Championship shows how the ball playing forward as fallen from grace. Incidentally, it struck me that in a different era Mark Toohey might have developed into a top notch ball playing loose forward.

Loughlan at wigan still does a job in the old fashioned way though, he's one of the reasons the pie eaters are the only team I'd pay good money to watch (and did at wembley last year).

#20 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Loughlan at wigan still does a job in the old fashioned way though, he's one of the reasons the pie eaters are the only team I'd pay good money to watch (and did at wembley last year).

In pooperleague I mean. :blush: