Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ball playing loose forward

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Even O`Louglin is a tackling machine, if you look at his stats he`s very much a workhorse who puts 30+ tackles a game.

#22 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Do you remember John coming into the long stand one game to sort a gobby fan out ???

Yes i do i remember it well he cleared the fence and had to be restrained or he would have floored him

#23 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Loughlan at wigan still does a job in the old fashioned way though, he's one of the reasons the pie eaters are the only team I'd pay good money to watch (and did at wembley last year).

O,Laughlin at Wigan is not a ball player he can pass but he is more of a tackling machine. Out of the ones i have seen on the thread the best was probably Holliday he was so skillful and one that has not been mentioned Harry Pinner at Saints.

#24 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

I'm surprised that BSJ hasn't joined this thread. Blind Side Johnny (Wolford) was also a skilled loose forward.

#25 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

in my opiinion john carroll was a great loose forward, as was phil doyle. i was in the long stand that sunday. john opened the gate and went to the back of the stand to confront whoever it was that was trying to ridicule him about his personal life.

#26 bazbulldog

bazbulldog
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Phil Doyle was an excellent loose forward and was responsible for many of Trevor (tank) Walker's tries in his record breaking season for a prop forward
of 18 tries.

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I'm surprised that BSJ hasn't joined this thread. Blind Side Johnny (Wolford) was also a skilled loose forward.

He's been away, with only limited internet access. ;)

It may surprise some to recall that the mighty Jeff Grayshon was a loose forward of renown for many a year before moving forward in the pack. A decent pair of hands had Jeff.

Some that were mentioned (Wolford even Stephenson) were stand-offs that had lost their pace, not proper loose forwards, of whom Les Holliday was the last that I recall.

Now someone start a thread on ball-handling props!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Now someone start a thread on ball-handling props!

OMG does such a creature exsist!!!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#29 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Tom Hemingway been mentioned on another topic,being a possible ball playing loose forward

#30 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

OMG does such a creature exsist!!!

Paul Woods of Warrington - although he doesn't have as many to handle these days. Rumour has it his theme song for this year will be "remember you're a oneball". Peacocks probably as good as anybody.

#31 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

James Graham gets/or used to get the ball out a lot. Morley has had his moments too.

Barrie McDermott used to fling it anywhere.

Lee Crooks was superb at getting the ball out.

Closer to home Joe Berry used to like getting the ball out with limited success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users