RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mal Meninga - sky sports sporting greats

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

On sky sports 3 at 11.30pm tonight. Think these get repeated quite a bit, so sure people will get the chance to watch it if missed tonight.

First time a RL player has been featured in this series as far as I'm aware.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#2 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

If you've just missed it like me, its repeated Wednesday, Sky Sports 3, 3.30PM

#3 AuroraXIII

AuroraXIII
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Turned on by accident, but really enjoyed it. Lots of painful memories revived of him swatting off GB players, but there's no doubting his stature - literally - as a giant of the game.

#4 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Watching some of those runs carrying 3 or 4 people with him amazing. And also not to be forgotten along with his strength was his pace when he was younger god he could move for a big fella. Scary to think that the Aussies picked a druggie to be the 8th Immortal in front of Mal.

#5 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Watching some of those runs carrying 3 or 4 people with him amazing. And also not to be forgotten along with his strength was his pace when he was younger god he could move for a big fella. Scary to think that the Aussies picked a druggie to be the 8th Immortal in front of Mal.

Probably much scarier that the 8th immortal had such a massive impact whilst having well known drug problems at his peak.

#6 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

It was great to see some footage from the Brisbane comp - that was a first for me.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#7 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

easy to forget what an awesome player Meninga was.. some of that footage was great.. it seemed like every try he scored in the Brisbane comp involved him carrying four blokes over the line!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#8 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Mal is also shown scoring a try on the front cover of my third novel 'One Summer'. Does that count as a first as well.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer and One Autumn, all written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

I have now just had my fifth novel published. It is called "Two Seasons" and has a background of Work, Family, Old Friends and Rugby League during 2002 and 2003.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users