Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Former Archbishop goes a bit over the top

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Former archbishop of Canterbury attacks gay marriage at Tory conference
Lord Carey says plans would cause deep divisions and likens opponents of gay marriage to Jews in Nazi Germany
http://www.guardian....y-marriage-tory

Words fail me. <_<

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Words don't fail me.

Carey and Widdecombe are utter and complete bigoted lunatic fringe attention seeking religious nutters who should be treated like that other lunatic David Iyke, they should be held up to ridicule for their utterly medieval outpourings.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Its just one more reason I want a truly secular country. Keep religion out of politics!

This is one of those times I'm glad I started admitting I wasn't a christian, and openly became a Humanist.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Carey was Thatcher's poodle; appointed because she didn't want anyone standing up to her like Robert Runcie did.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Words don't fail me.

Carey and Widdecombe are utter and complete bigoted lunatic fringe attention seeking religious nutters who should be treated like that other lunatic David Iyke, they should be held up to ridicule for their utterly medieval outpourings.

excellent post, saved me a job.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#6 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Ah, a fine example of Godwin's Law:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Godwin's_law

#7 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Its just one more reason I want a truly secular country. Keep religion out of politics!

This is one of those times I'm glad I started admitting I wasn't a christian, and openly became a Humanist.

The vast majority of anti-gay legislation does not stem from any religous belief but secular ones.
Religion is a part of society keeping religion out of politics is problematic.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,965 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

The vast majority of anti-gay legislation does not stem from any religous belief but secular ones.

Go on ...
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Ah, a fine example of Godwin's Law:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Godwin's_law

If you read the OP there is a direct quote to the Nazi's therefore Godwin is irrelevant.

I believe that any union formed between 2 people should be allowed to be called marriage. I don't see why we should constantly define ourselves by our sexual orientation and if anything it makes the debate go on longer than it needs to and is frankly boring.

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Religion is a part of society keeping religion out of politics is problematic.

I'm not sure we have much (if any) "anti-gay legislation" that a statement like "the vast majority of" would begin to make sense.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

If you read the OP there is a direct quote to the Nazi's therefore Godwin is irrelevant.

I believe that any union formed between 2 people should be allowed to be called marriage. I don't see why we should constantly define ourselves by our sexual orientation and if anything it makes the debate go on longer than it needs to and is frankly boring.

You are allowed to called a "civil partnership" "marriage" if you want. There is no law against and you won't get taken to court. What the debate seems to revolve around is that the state ought to call it marriage as well.

I don't really see the point of a huge debate over the difference between a civil partnership and a marriage. Civil partners have the same rights as spouses and so rights aren't really affected, especially since there aren't any laws restricting how people describe civil partnerships.

#12 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

You are allowed to called a "civil partnership" "marriage" if you want. There is no law against and you won't get taken to court. What the debate seems to revolve around is that the state ought to call it marriage as well.

I don't really see the point of a huge debate over the difference between a civil partnership and a marriage. Civil partners have the same rights as spouses and so rights aren't really affected, especially since there aren't any laws restricting how people describe civil partnerships.

By the same token, if it is such a superficial change then why not them change it?

The problem is that is subconsciously promotes the idea that homosexual relationships are different and lesser than heterosexual relationships. They aren't quite up to the same standard as a heterosexual marriage and therefore have to call it something different. If you fall in love with a woman you can get married, if you fall in love with a man then you can have a civil-partnership and call it a marriage yourself if you want. What nonsense.

I've read opposition to it and yet to see anything that doesn't stem from religious reasons against homosexuality. They claim it would be this great evil that would destroy society but have yet to explain how it could in the slightest. I'm happily married and fail to see how it effects me in any way, or how it will affect my future children. If they are gay I very much doubt that the legalisation of gay marriage will have contributed to it in any way.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 13 October 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Marriage is merely a contract between two people.

These days the rich and famous actually put clauses into those contracts. Is a marriage between two people with clauses regarding money not more against the 'instituion' of marriage than two people of the same sex entering an open no clauses marriage.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

By the same token, if it is such a superficial change then why not them change it?

I don't personally have a problem with it being changed but I don't see any particular need to do so.

The problem is that is subconsciously promotes the idea that homosexual relationships are different and lesser than heterosexual relationships. They aren't quite up to the same standard as a heterosexual marriage and therefore have to call it something different. If you fall in love with a woman you can get married, if you fall in love with a man then you can have a civil-partnership and call it a marriage yourself if you want. What nonsense.

I've read opposition to it and yet to see anything that doesn't stem from religious reasons against homosexuality. They claim it would be this great evil that would destroy society but have yet to explain how it could in the slightest. I'm happily married and fail to see how it effects me in any way, or how it will affect my future children. If they are gay I very much doubt that the legalisation of gay marriage will have contributed to it in any way.

Having a different name for something does not imply that one is better than the other. Following your argument, we should abolish the term "homosexual" and call everybody "heterosexual" just in case anyone thinks that this implies that gays (or indeed straights) are lesser beings.

#15 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I don't personally have a problem with it being changed but I don't see any particular need to do so.

Having a different name for something does not imply that one is better than the other. Following your argument, we should abolish the term "homosexual" and call everybody "heterosexual" just in case anyone thinks that this implies that gays (or indeed straights) are lesser beings.

This is a poor analogy because heterosexual actually describes something different than homosexual does. They are both relationships but there is a difference in the make up of those relationships and a need for a descriptor, in the same way that we describe brown hair and blonde hair. Neither implies that one is better than the other.

By not changing it, or suggesting that it shouldn't be changed, it is implying that a homosexual relationship is different (and lesser) from a heterosexual one. In this instance it is called something different not because it describes something different (it doesn't), it is called something different because of what it is. The reality is that the majority of the opposition to this comes from people that disagree with homosexuality full stop.

By continuing to deny them the chance to marry, in reality we are pandering to homophobia. Obviously, it's not a huge issue in itself and it makes little actual difference to individuals or relationships but it is the impression that it gives about homosexuality. Whether you see it or not, forcing them to call something that is essentially the same something different, is ludicrous. What is the official justification for calling it something different? Once you take people that don't want gay relationships to exist out of the equation, there is essentially nothing.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 14 October 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

It implies that it is different, it does not imply that it is lesser. There is no logic for suggesting that it is lesser and not, for example, greater unless the name was something pejorative. Civil partnership is not offensive in any way.

And again nobody is forcing people tom call it anything, civil partnership is the name the state uses, you can call it what you like.

edit: and I don't see who is making what argument has any relevance. An argument is only as good as its logic and this doesn't depend on the person making the argument.

Edited by Northern Sol, 14 October 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

By not changing it, or suggesting that it shouldn't be changed, it is implying that a homosexual relationship is different (and lesser) from a heterosexual one.

No it isn't. It isn't implying that it is different, it is stating quite clearly that it is, which it is. A homosexual relationship is a relationship between two people of the same gender and is therefore different from a heterosexual relationship which is a relationship between two people of different genders. The statement isn't implying that a homosexual relationship is lesser either. It is making no comment on its value at all. Certain people are inferring that it is but that says more about those who are inferring rather than any implication.

Marriage in this country was formalised by the Christian church, if memory serves during the Middle Ages. For example, it was the Christian Church which decided monogomy was the way to go where marriage was concerned. Someone on here said that marriage is just a word. Well, it isn't. It has meaning, legal, social and moral meaning. That is why there is a fight about it. Would you abandon the monogomous marriage? Go all Mormon? Because part of what marriage means is monogomy. Another is a lifetime commitment. That's already been abandoned even if people start out generally with that intention! Should there be no legal protection either? That also is an element of the meaning of marriage. As are financial obligations. In previous times it also involved effective ownership, the husband of the wife; and entitlement, the eldest child to the fortune (or lack of it). Marriage is much more than just a word. In the Christian Church the meaning also included procreation, something that gay couples cannot do biologically. Therefore, a 'three person marriage' is very much a possibility, given that someone somewhere will have to supply either the sperm or the egg to create a child.

Gay people have all the legal rights under civil partnership that straight people have under marriage. They can also call their union whatever they want to, regardless of what it is called in law. For gay people to be legally married, however, first require a change in the meaning of marriage as formalised in this country originally by the Christian Church. Therefore, it is understandable that Christians in this country are generally not happy with the idea.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,965 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

In the Christian Church the meaning also included procreation, something that gay couples cannot do biologically.

Does the church not recognise the marriage of an infertile person or the marriage of two sixty year olds who aren't likely to get on board and start a family?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

No it isn't. It isn't implying that it is different, it is stating quite clearly that it is, which it is. A homosexual relationship is a relationship between two people of the same gender and is therefore different from a heterosexual relationship which is a relationship between two people of different genders. The statement isn't implying that a homosexual relationship is lesser either. It is making no comment on its value at all. Certain people are inferring that it is but that says more about those who are inferring rather than any implication.............................................................. Marriage is much more than just a word. In the Christian Church the meaning also included procreation, something that gay couples cannot do biologically. Therefore, a 'three person marriage' is very much a possibility, given that someone somewhere will have to supply either the sperm or the egg to create a child.

How is it different?
Two people that love one another and are prepared to make a lifelong commitment to each other regardless of gender share many of the same challenges, strains, joys and sorrows as any other two people. So far as I can see the only significant measure of "difference" is your point abput procreation by which logic an infertile heterosexual couple could not be married and a couple who decide for whatever reason not to have children should have their marriage annulled.

Beaten to it by the Ginger one.

Edited by Shadow, 14 October 2012 - 08:20 PM.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

So far as I can see the only significant measure of "difference" is your point abput procreation

So you have identified a difference. Being infertile is a naff red herring brought in when people can't face admitting the facts. The point is about potential. When two people try to have children generally speaking they have no idea whether they will get lucky and clinch the deal. However, a straight couple has the potential to get lucky. A gay couple does not. Their equipment is not complementary; they will simply never be able to have children with each other. That is a difference; it is THE difference.

Edited by Saintslass, 14 October 2012 - 08:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users