Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle United- to be renamed

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,570 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Newcastle Sharks
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

I can imagine that will cause some trouble with the fans, you know the true fans that can only afford 1 season ticket per family and share it!

#3 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

Was wondering what you were on about but I think I know now. Surprised any sports club would want to be associated with a loan shark company.
Fides invicta triumphat

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Was wondering what you were on about but I think I know now. Surprised any sports club would want to be associated with a loan shark company.

TBH I think it's harsh throwing the term 'Loan Shark' about with companies like this.

I don't know enough about their practices, but I would associate loan sharks with people turning up threatening you if you don't pay.

I think there is a valid market for short term loans, and forcing them to quote APR's is just nonsense, as this measure just doesn't work for a loan taken over less than 30 days.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Conditioned reflex responses everywhere!

and none of you ever said anything about Wonga's involvement with Blackpool

So why Wonga and Newcastle?

because
1.The fans get the St James Park name back.
2. Because Wonga are going to do lots of other stuff
3. Its a better than being sponsored by a gambling company or a brewery - both ruiners of many lives.

see http://www.independe...sh-8205597.html

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,813 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'm a staunch traditionalist - it'll always be the Sports Direct Arena to me. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Its possible that quoting APRs isn't fair in these cases but the average APR is 4214% (according to their website). However you look at it that seems steep!

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

TBH I think it's harsh throwing the term 'Loan Shark' about with companies like this.

I don't know enough about their practices, but I would associate loan sharks with people turning up threatening you if you don't pay.

I think there is a valid market for short term loans, and forcing them to quote APR's is just nonsense, as this measure just doesn't work for a loan taken over less than 30 days.

There are a lot of sharp practices associated with Wonga (and other less well known companies). The APR is one of their least unpleasant aspects.

And I was very pleased to see Blackpool relegated owing entirely to their association with these vermin.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

So what is it that Wonga is doing to elicit such a response? For example, do you know someone who has had a bad experience?

To be honest, bank personal loans, HP contracts credit card loans etc are all a scam. The biggest scam of all is the way mortgage borrowers withs subsidized rate of interest live off the backs of the old and the poor and the savers.

#10 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Possibly this for one!

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

The biggest scam of all is the way mortgage borrowers withs subsidized rate of interest live off the backs of the old and the poor and the savers.

Works for me!

#12 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

So what is it that Wonga is doing to elicit such a response? For example, do you know someone who has had a bad experience?

To be honest, bank personal loans, HP contracts credit card loans etc are all a scam. The biggest scam of all is the way mortgage borrowers withs subsidized rate of interest live off the backs of the old and the poor and the savers.

You have got to be in a fortunate position to be able to purchase a house without taking out a mortgage. Those who have paid off their mortgages are in a very fortunate position compared to those who are paying them off.
Fides invicta triumphat

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Possibly this for one!

Wrong - but let's be honest Wonga themselves will not be booking these ads. The article itself actually states that.

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

You have got to be in a fortunate position to be able to purchase a house without taking out a mortgage. Those who have paid off their mortgages are in a very fortunate position compared to those who are paying them off.

Correct. Its ludicrous to point the finger at mortgage payers. If rates go up, we know the score. If they are low, happy days.

It is also possible to be both.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

They do appear to have won a few awards and appear to have high satisfaction levels.

Short term borrowing is a necessity for some folk now, the service they offer appears to be a very good one - quick turnaround. Their decline rates (approx 66%) suggests they take responsible lending seriously.

#16 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Wrong - but let's be honest Wonga themselves will not be booking these ads. The article itself actually states that.

Dave, I've worked with marketing organisations, and call me a cynic, but having a catchy sing-song theme tune (mr Wonga, lend me some dough...) and advertising on a kids apps seems suspicious, as most marketeers know how strong pester power can be. Of course its all plausibly deniable.

Now I'm not disagreeing with Wonga as a company. I'm in a fortunately position not to need them. I'm also not saying they are as bad as some of the gambling cartels (and I have been in a marketing company that worked with one, and I left quickly for many reasons). I am saying though that I'm very glad I don't have to use them and that they whole industry leaves something of a bad taste in my mouth.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Now I'm not disagreeing with Wonga as a company. I'm in a fortunately position not to need them. I'm also not saying they are as bad as some of the gambling cartels (and I have been in a marketing company that worked with one, and I left quickly for many reasons). I am saying though that I'm very glad I don't have to use them and that they whole industry leaves something of a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree entirely. I'd throw PPI claims companies, No win no fee accident claims companies, Micheal Parkinson's life assurance ads etc. All in my view exploitative but none of them illegal and indeed all of them seemingly popular and in some cases the only avenue open to people.

Same with mortgages. People borrow at low interest rates to finance the acquisition of an asset that even allowing for the societies and banks offering less than 1% interest. Grossed up across the nations's mortgage book that is much more exploitative than the likes of Wonga. The right level for mortgage interest rates is about 10%, with savings rates at say 5%. Still, no political mileage in any of that,

Filly, if the Wonga deal incites apoplexy in bigoted labour minds, it'll do for me! :lol: :lol:

#18 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Can't really disagree with anything there John.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Dave, I've worked with marketing organisations, and call me a cynic, but having a catchy sing-song theme tune (mr Wonga, lend me some dough...) and advertising on a kids apps seems suspicious, as most marketeers know how strong pester power can be. Of course its all plausibly deniable.

TBH mate I work with digital marketing agencies, and I expect that the agencies buy these spaces in bulk, it appears that there has been an issue with ensuring that this kind of ad had age restrictions on. Not a major issue when you think about it, as quite simply kids can't be customers of Wonga, and I really don't expect many kids will pester their parents to take out a short term loan. I actually expect Wonga will be pee'd off with their ad agency as they will have been paying for this presence (potentially) and pretty much getting no sales from it.
AFAIK there are no strong restrictions on where these companies can advertise, they aren't gambling, alcohol, tobacco etc. they are a legitimate business - happy to be proven wrong, but I have only read good things about this company tbh.

#20 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Dave as long as its not Summit that's fine :)

Maybe my experience in a marketing company has left me more jaded than it should!