Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle United- to be renamed

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,684 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Stop Press. The new Newcastle United shirts with the new sponsors name (WONGA.COM) on the front are now available at £39.99 or 36 monthly payments of £253.70p
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hull City/Tigers fans take note

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

Act II, Scene 2, Romeo and Juliet, by  Billy Shakespeare

What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Hull City would, were he not Hull City call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Hull City, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

#24 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Tiger, tiger, burning bright....

Oh sorry, that's hardly appropriate.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

:biggrin:

I sense that Allam is not very popular. Am I right?  Hull Tigers/Hull City Tigers/ Hull City Nil..its all the same to me but I guess coming from this guy its somewhat inflammatory. Has he really saved the club?

#26 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Allam has certainly saved Hull Tigers, of that there is no doubt.

However, his absolute arrogance of, whatever decision I make is the right one and if you lot don't like it then you're obviously wrong, is quite breathtaking.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

John Prescott backs Hull City's name change to Tigers.  Ouch!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...humber-25759559

#28 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Madness.

I know "Tigers" isn't exactly unknown in English sports, just think Castleford or Leicester but it just sounds daft next to all the City, United, Town, Rangers, Rovers etc monikers. It's like turning up in jeans and a leather jacket to a function where everyone else is wearing a suit.

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

What's wrong with having a name that goes against the grain anyway? Not every football club has a regular nickname. Hotspur, Albion and Academicals are some that come to mind.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#30 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

I think the danger here is, that once name changes are pushed through and become 'de rigeur', some owners will soon be incorporating sponsors into the clubs official title. Its been happening with ground names for some time now, and that would be the next logical step for owners who perhaps aren't quite in synch with the importance of tradition to a lot of fans.

Posted Image

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

that is already the case: PSV Eindhoven, Vauxhall Motors FC, Bayer Leverkusen, Red Bull Salzburg.......

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

IIRC the Wednesday bit in Sheffield refers to the fact that the team was comprised of shop workers
who had Wednesday afternoons free. Hardly a sensible name if you want to argue about it.

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

IIRC the Wednesday bit in Sheffield refers to the fact that the team was comprised of shop workers
who had Wednesday afternoons free. Hardly a sensible name if you want to argue about it.

It was even less sensible back in the day when they were called simply "Wednesday".

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

What's wrong with having a name that goes against the grain anyway? Not every football club has a regular nickname. Hotspur, Albion and Academicals are some that come to mind.

Those are all the historical names of the team. AFAIK they were always called that.

With Allam, he is arguing that the decision is a business one and no-one has the right to question him (he even said that). He said that it makes the club more marketable; this would appear not to be the case in Hull but more than likely he means more marketable in Malaysia.

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Those are all the historical names of the team. AFAIK they were always called that.

With Allam, he is arguing that the decision is a business one and no-one has the right to question him (he even said that). He said that it makes the club more marketable; this would appear not to be the case in Hull but more than likely he means more marketable in Malaysia.

What was it that certain people used to say to RL....you have sold your soul and must live with the consequences. If he is putting the money in (and I haven't a clue if he is or others are too) then he calls the shots.

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,223 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Madness.

I know "Tigers" isn't exactly unknown in English sports, just think Castleford or Leicester but it just sounds daft next to all the City, United, Town, Rangers, Rovers etc monikers. It's like turning up in jeans and a leather jacket to a function where everyone else is wearing a suit.

they are already known as the tigers

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#37 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Exactly, they have also always marketed themselves as such. It's difficult to see how incorporating the name into their official title could help them shift a few more Tiger onesies or silly hats or indeed herald a stampede of Far Eastern billionaires wanting to invest in the club. A lot of people just don't buy Allam's line that the name change is purely about generating extra revenue.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

As a nickname not a moniker.

#39 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

What was it that certain people used to say to RL....you have sold your soul and must live with the consequences. If he is putting the money in (and I haven't a clue if he is or others are too) then he calls the shots.

Well, this is true but I don't think it means that fans of the club shouldn't have an opinion on it.

There is a huge contrast between Allam and Hull City and Koukash and Salford City Reds (as was). Both have adopted nicknames as part of their official name.

The first put his cash in and has made a huge difference to the playing standard of the team but has a huge ego and seems to go out of his way to annoy the fans. It's all about him.

With Salford, the cash has gone in and we expect a much improved Salford side but the name change has broadly been welcomed as Koukash does seem to have the best interests of the club at heart even if he is a little "intense" at times.

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,223 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Exactly, they have also always marketed themselves as such. It's difficult to see how incorporating the name into their official title could help them shift a few more Tiger onesies or silly hats or indeed herald a stampede of Far Eastern billionaires wanting to invest in the club. A lot of people just don't buy Allam's line that the name change is purely about generating extra revenue.

Thanks mate

That clarifies things 

I can see the thinking now

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users