TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

challenge cup draw

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#61 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Askam 14-28 Millom

#62 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Bristol played very well and were possibly better with ball in hand than Eccles but Eccles ran better lines. Certainly Bristol like to keep the ball alive and back each other up very well. Bristol shocked Eccles by taking a 12-4 lead but then Eccles scored 3 converted tries in 6 minutes from the 20th minute which, in the end, proved to be the difference. If Bristol had more possession in the first half I am sure the score would have been closer but an 2-8 penalty count against them in the first half stopped them having that possession. Nothing dirty in the game, just inexperience leading to the penalties. Eccles were much stronger in the forwards.

A pretty accurate summary of the game, that. That period where we conceded a lot of penalties, barely touched the ball and Eccles scored three times killed our chances. Most were for holding down and the ref was warning us, so we should have known to get up a bit faster. Dumb play, really. That said, Eccles dominance in the forwards for much of the game was what made the difference, I think. Even in the second half, when we had more ball (and the wind at our backs), Eccles' big lads were making ground easily.

Still, it was a good game and it's always great to host teams from the "heartlands" - playing sides with far greater experience in the game is the only way to test yourselves and improve. We've come a long way in recent years - if we'd played you back in 2009, when we faced Leeds Met, I reckon you'd have scored 70 or 80 and it wouldn't have been much of a contest.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#63 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Still, it was a good game and it's always great to host teams from the "heartlands" - playing sides with far greater experience in the game is the only way to test yourselves and improve. We've come a long way in recent years - if we'd played you back in 2009, when we faced Leeds Met, I reckon you'd have scored 70 or 80 and it wouldn't have been much of a contest.

People need to remember this when complaining about one sided scorelines in internationals.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#64 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Wizards now finished as a club

#65 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Wizards now finished as a club

? Surely not?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#66 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

? Surely not?

I assume he means the merger with Woolston has ended their separate identity.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#67 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

I assume he means the merger with Woolston has ended their separate identity.

Yeah the new club will be called Woolston Rovers. Though if their NCL application is accepted (IMO it will be and Blackbrook's) we'll have one more season of seeing many of the formerly Wizards faces come down to the Butts.

Edited by bowes, 29 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#68 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Be a very strong side I imagine but only time will tell

#69 tommo91

tommo91
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Does anyone know if a player plays for a university team and also a community club, which takes priority if both have a game on the same day?

#70 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Does anyone know if a player plays for a university team and also a community club, which takes priority if both have a game on the same day?

There is no priority, it's up the player.

You can't play for both in the challenge cup anymore though.
Once they have played for one side, that's their team in the qualifiers.

#71 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that the players Primary obligation was to their University or Armed Forces side where a player played for both. This rule may have changed and i'm prepared to be corrected but that was the impression I was under.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#72 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

On a slightly related note when York City Knights played Northumbria Uni in 2011 I believe Matty Garside was technically eligible to play for both teams!

He missed the game altogether with an injury though, unfortunately.
Posted Image

#73 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that the players Primary obligation was to their University or Armed Forces side where a player played for both. This rule may have changed and i'm prepared to be corrected but that was the impression I was under.

It was that way for the armed forces on the grounds that the player could be ordered to play for his forces side and it would be awkward if the RFL didn't allow a serviceman to carry out an order. I don't know if this is still the case.

AFAIK the university sides have never had a similar rule.

#74 Walter

Walter
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

It was that way for the armed forces on the grounds that the player could be ordered to play for his forces side and it would be awkward if the RFL didn't allow a serviceman to carry out an order. I don't know if this is still the case.

AFAIK the university sides have never had a similar rule.

same applies to the British Police as well as we found out on Sunday!!!