Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Autumn Internationals Thread: England/Wales/France

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Autumn Internationals will you be attending? (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Autumn Internationals will you be attending?

1. France v Wales (Lens) (2 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

2. Wales v England (Wrexham) (18 votes [21.69%])

Percentage of vote: 21.69%

3. England v France (Hull KR) (16 votes [19.28%])

Percentage of vote: 19.28%

4. The Final (Salford) (17 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

5. Voted I am unable to attend any of the games (14 votes [16.87%])

Percentage of vote: 16.87%

6. I am not interested in attending any of the games (16 votes [19.28%])

Percentage of vote: 19.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Would love to go to the final, but ...

If I drive, I can't have a drink,

And if you can't manage to go to one match without having a drink, I'd say you have a problem!

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,979 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

And if you can't manage to go to one match without having a drink, I'd say you have a problem!

Not particularly. I will drive to the Wrexham game if all else fails but would prefer to go on coach/train and make a day of it if possible.

I'll still go but my preferred option is not to drive and have a few* drinks.

*lots

Edited by Johnoco, 12 October 2012 - 12:10 AM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#23 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Am going to all four matches. Can't wait. My favourite time of year. Off to France on Thursday for the first game and a long weekend. I'll be a Welsh fan for the day.

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

I paid full whack to attend the England vs Exiles game and was so appalled by the consideration for the viewing public shown by the team management I won't be wasting my money again, thanks all the same.

Just how many games such as this would journalists attend if they had to pay their way in John?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

I have been to matches without having a drink (Bradford v Castleford this year, for example). However, after not being able to watch many games for 14 years, I would like to make it a bit of a celebration. It would be my first visit to my team's new home (I missed the opportunity earlier this year as I was just too tired to drive from Whitby to Barton and back again) and anyway, I like a drink. I don't have a problem with that. Why should you?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#26 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

I've just got my ticket for France v Wales at Lens.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#27 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I would love to go with the kids - but I simply can't afford petrol + admission etc. So TV it is I am afraid.

#28 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

I've just got my ticket for France v Wales at Lens.

Any news on what the latest crowd expectations are Browny?

#29 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Would love to go to the final, but ...

If I drive, I can't have a drink, so I've checked the trains. What is going on? I'm being offered routes via Newton le Willows, buses between Huddersfield and Leeds, nothing that gets me back to Malton before 7:00am on the Monday. I might be working on the Monday - Supply Teachers can never be sure until close to the day. Why can't things be simpler? Looks like driving is the only option, but I'm not keen on the prospect.

I think I'll decide closer to the day.

PS. forgot to say "I blame the rfl." ;)

surely its just of a case of into manchester jump on the transpeninne to leeds then there must be a late train to scarborough that stops at malton . the game will be over before 7pm and im pretty sure theres a train from manchester to scarborough just after 8pm
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#30 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

I paid full whack to attend the England vs Exiles game and was so appalled by the consideration for the viewing public shown by the team management I won't be wasting my money again, thanks all the same.

In what way? What didn't they do that you think they should have done to improve your overall experience?

Just how many games such as this would journalists attend if they had to pay their way in John?

I'm not the best person to ask as although I have a press pass, by choice I usually attend matches under my own steam and at my own expense. The press box is better being occupied by those who need the facilities available for writing or broadcasting reports on the game, which isn't part of my job.

I take the point I think you're trying to make though, that this isn't the most mouth watering international series we've ever been presented with, but in many ways we are trapped in a vicious circle with regard to international Rugby League. Fans won't attend in great numbers because the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them, but the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them because the fans won't attend in great numbers. How do we break that cycle? There isn't an easy answer to that, unfortunately.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#31 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm going to England versus France at MS3 Craven Park. It is on my birthday so I'm dragging a load of friend to the game and then we'll hit the pubs afterwards.

You can watch the game 'in style': http://www.hullkr.co...ms3-craven-park

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,979 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Just noticed that the England-Poland game has just kicked off after being canceled last night in actual farcical scenes. The fans have every right to feel aggrieved and messed about.

But the stadium is packed.

Because they find a reason to make the game, not a reason to stay away.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#33 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Any news on what the latest crowd expectations are Browny?

Can't see any online. When I booked mine, you could see which places were sold and, to be honest, it didn't look like many.

Still, I lived in Lens for a bit so will be good to see the old place.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#34 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

In what way? What didn't they do that you think they should have done to improve your overall experience?

I'm not the best person to ask as although I have a press pass, by choice I usually attend matches under my own steam and at my own expense. The press box is better being occupied by those who need the facilities available for writing or broadcasting reports on the game, which isn't part of my job.

I take the point I think you're trying to make though, that this isn't the most mouth watering international series we've ever been presented with, but in many ways we are trapped in a vicious circle with regard to international Rugby League. Fans won't attend in great numbers because the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them, but the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them because the fans won't attend in great numbers. How do we break that cycle? There isn't an easy answer to that, unfortunately.

The main problem is that the games are viewed to be one sided in Englands favour. The rules these days dont help and the best side on paper nearly always wins

#35 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

surely its just of a case of into manchester jump on the transpeninne to leeds then there must be a late train to scarborough that stops at malton . the game will be over before 7pm and im pretty sure theres a train from manchester to scarborough just after 8pm

That's what I thought. Not, apparently on November 11th.

There are two trains after the match. The 7:38pm gets me into Malton at 22:34. The 11:55pm gets me in at 7:04am on the Monday. Now, the game kicks off at 5:00pm and should finish at about 6:45pm, allowing for half-time oranges, injury time and getting out of the ground. That gives me an hour maximum to get from Barton to Victoria. There's not much public transport at Barton and a half-decent crowd could make getting a taxi difficult. What do you think? Enough time? Given that the next train doesn't get me in until the following day, the downside of missing a connection (Oh, I almost forgot - there is a bus connection between Huddersfield and Leeds) is an overnight sleep out on Leeds station. What would you do?

I've not given up on the game. I might even decide to drive there and back, but the train times seem odd on this particular day. The previous Sunday, there is a train from Victoria at 8:38pm which would get me in at 11:34pm. And guess what! The Sunday after, there is a train at 8:38pm which would get me in at 11:34pm. This is why I raised the problem. Does anyone know what is going on?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#36 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

The main problem is that the games are viewed to be one sided in Englands favour. The rules these days dont help and the best side on paper nearly always wins

Thing is, if England lost, or even just struggled to beat Wales or France in this tournament, the cry will go up that they are rubbish and not worth watching. Few would declare it the dawn of a new golden age of competitive internationals. If they win comfortably, it will be said that the games aren't watching because they're not competitive. I think Johnoco has a fair point above, in RL, particularly with internationals, we are generally pretty good at coming up with reasons not to go to a game rather than reasons to turn up and enjoy it for what it is.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#37 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Absolutely John.

I'm expecting England to win their matches quite comfortably. Wales and France will have their moments against England, and I'm still getting to see some great England players strut their stuff. What's not to like?

Of course I'd love to be going to the England matches with the same level of uncertainty that I'm going to France v Wales, but it's still great to watch England play.

Lots of league fans just don't get it and unfortunately never will. We need to focus our efforts on building a support base for the international game that is not reliant on the followers of northern clubs, because most of us aren't ever going to go to internationals.

#38 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thing is, if England lost, or even just struggled to beat Wales or France in this tournament, the cry will go up that they are rubbish and not worth watching. Few would declare it the dawn of a new golden age of competitive internationals. If they win comfortably, it will be said that the games aren't watching because they're not competitive. I think Johnoco has a fair point above, in RL, particularly with internationals, we are generally pretty good at coming up with reasons not to go to a game rather than reasons to turn up and enjoy it for what it is.

Sorry John but unfortunately this tourny will not capture the imagination IMO:

1/ The England games are in unimaginitive heartland towns
2/ the England games are in ahem - England ( we should be playing away until we can be beaten)
3/ England will get all the calls (as we always do against lower opposition - but naff all against the Aussies)
4/ Todays silly 10m, non-competitive scrum and interchange rules just doesnt allow for close games/shocks any more

The best thing that could happen tounamentwise (unfortunately) is that England lose in Wales

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 17 October 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Sorry John but unfortunately this tourny will not capture the imagination IMO:

1/ The England games are in unimaginitive heartland towns
2/ the England games are in ahem - England ( we should be playing away until we can be beaten)
3/ England will get all the calls (as we always do against lower opposition - but naff all against the Aussies)
4/ Todays silly 10m, non-competitive scrum and interchange rules just doesnt allow for close games/shocks any more

The best thing that could happen tounamentwise (unfortunately) is that England lose in Wales

Okay okay, you don't like Rugby League, we get it!!!!

Over and over again.

#40 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Cymru v England might have to be the sole annual International game this year after the excesses of the last two, not having at least one game down here in Cardiff ,Swansea or Neath especially with a year to go before the World Cup seems a mistake in opinion. Might stretch to a day out in Salford again if the Dragons make it, but having just been to the new gaff last sunday its not one for public transport.
Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users