Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The squad so far

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alienboy

alienboy
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

I must admit that I don't know many of the new signings but, on the face of it, there sounds to be alot of young talent in there with massive potential. The down side to this is that most players have a lack of 1st team experience, although playing Super League u20s may have given many the background to make the step up.
Hind sight being a great thing, I wonder if this should have happened 12 months ago. It would have given the squad a year to gain the levels required to compete at a first team level and also identified those that weren't able to do so and there was "nothing to lose" in terms of league position being no relegation.
I realise that logistically there would have been difficulties, i.e. the last coach having a year left on his contract, but signing the young guns we have now a year ago on 1 year deals with an option for a further year would have helped the players development.

#2 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

I must admit that I don't know many of the new signings but, on the face of it, there sounds to be alot of young talent in there with massive potential. The down side to this is that most players have a lack of 1st team experience, although playing Super League u20s may have given many the background to make the step up.
Hind sight being a great thing, I wonder if this should have happened 12 months ago. It would have given the squad a year to gain the levels required to compete at a first team level and also identified those that weren't able to do so and there was "nothing to lose" in terms of league position being no relegation.
I realise that logistically there would have been difficulties, i.e. the last coach having a year left on his contract, but signing the young guns we have now a year ago on 1 year deals with an option for a further year would have helped the players development.

Maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily, but we seem to have mainly players, either at the back end of their carreers or at the beginning with nothing much in between. One assumes that the remaining signings and/or loanees will address that.? :blink:

#3 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

I would think that your last sentence will prove to be correct. We only have a squad of 20 at the moment and will need at least another 5/6 at least. 3 more players with 4 or 5 years experience at this level, probably a centre and a couple of forwards or maybe a half back and the squad should have a good balance. Looking at the average age and agility of the squad at the moment we shouldn't have much problem with pace and fitness.

#4 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I understand that Bradford have released Phil Joseph. I think he would be a great signing for us either propping or in the second row. Pity Bradford didn't retain him and we could have had him with the link up.

#5 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I understand that Bradford have released Phil Joseph. I think he would be a great signing for us either propping or in the second row. Pity Bradford didn't retain him and we could have had him with the link up.

Phil Joseph had a great game against us in the friendly game in January,Bulls fans on their forum was getting very excited about him,would be a good signing at this level,he might go back to Swinton.

#6 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

I think the squad has come along nicely, I can't see the squad being any bigger than 25 players though.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#7 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 504 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

Anyone know if Nicholson has signed?
Posted Image

#8 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Another new signing to be announced in the morning,number 21for the mighty Rams !!!

Edited by andyram, 11 October 2012 - 09:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users