• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#1 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

http://www1.skysport...o-Glasshoughton

Steve Ferres says "The RFL are mindful of the testing economic climate and how it is impacting on the game generally. As a result, licensing requirements are being relaxed to enable clubs to explore different routes to ensure they achieve Super League status." So while the Championship clubs bust a gut to get SL fit Stadiums we are now told SL clubs dont need to bother! Championship clubs Fev, Fax and Sheffield despite being PT and having smaller income run various academy teams, SL cant be bothered and want too spend money more on the first team. Seriously frustrating being a fan when the rules change to fit certain clubs whilst others are treated differently. The RFL should be doing whats best for the game. Currently thats not happening and the way they do things is for me a disgrace. I cant see a SL club being kicked out of SL right now and I cant see a Championship club getting in unless a club goes bankrupt

#2 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

http://www1.skysport...o-Glasshoughton

Steve Ferres says "The RFL are mindful of the testing economic climate and how it is impacting on the game generally. As a result, licensing requirements are being relaxed to enable clubs to explore different routes to ensure they achieve Super League status." So while the Championship clubs bust a gut to get SL fit Stadiums we are now told SL clubs dont need to bother! Championship clubs Fev, Fax and Sheffield despite being PT and having smaller income run various academy teams, SL cant be bothered and want too spend money more on the first team. Seriously frustrating being a fan when the rules change to fit certain clubs whilst others are treated differently. The RFL should be doing whats best for the game. Currently thats not happening and the way they do things is for me a disgrace. I cant see a SL club being kicked out of SL right now and I cant see a Championship club getting in unless a club goes bankrupt

I think it might work in the favour of CC clubs. Relaxing licensing requirements in order to enable clubs to explore different routes to ensure they achieve SL status could well mean a return of P & R with minimum standards. This seems to be a popular opinion by people in the know just now.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#3 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

There will be more changes ahead but if we continue as we are keep backing the club and team and the club keeps moving forward we never know what will happen
Reading between the lines some championship clubs look healthier than the S/L ones

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

There will be more changes ahead but if we continue as we are keep backing the club and team and the club keeps moving forward we never know what will happen
Reading between the lines some championship clubs look healthier than the S/L ones

I think you could be right as i would'nt be surprised if all the SL teams were in debt just some in more debt than others in some cases i bet. But it could work both ways.Moving the goal posts to keep c*s in SL as their ground isnt up to standard or help our teams in the CC to move up.I know which my money's on but you never know as i cant see them doing that just for c*s as london are safe no matter what as we can see.

Edited by thundergaz, 10 October 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

That's spot on. I was thinking about changes and wondered how many people remembered when we had one league. Thinking about it there were a lot of advantages. All Yorkshire clubs played each other and all Lancashire/ Cumberland clubs played each other. You then played 4 teams of the same standing, based on previous seasons placings, from the other county. This meant we played: Cas, Wakey, Leeds, Bradord, Halifax etc in Yorkshire and Wigan, Saints and Warrington in our four teams from Lancs. No promotion or regulation to think about and a play off at the end of the season. We also had the Yorkshire and Lancashire cups and titles. Income was higher and competition was good. What do you think about going back to those days. It could be worse.

#6 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

As Terry has pointed out I think the present consensus is a return to promotion and relegation and I believe things are going on in the background to a return to allowing a team to be promoted with less stringent standards..albeit it will possibly be to clubs only that show ambition to succeed or wish to be promoted; Some clubs will prefer to stay within the championship and quite rightly so;

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

That's spot on. I was thinking about changes and wondered how many people remembered when we had one league. Thinking about it there were a lot of advantages. All Yorkshire clubs played each other and all Lancashire/ Cumberland clubs played each other. You then played 4 teams of the same standing, based on previous seasons placings, from the other county. This meant we played: Cas, Wakey, Leeds, Bradord, Halifax etc in Yorkshire and Wigan, Saints and Warrington in our four teams from Lancs. No promotion or regulation to think about and a play off at the end of the season. We also had the Yorkshire and Lancashire cups and titles. Income was higher and competition was good. What do you think about going back to those days. It could be worse.

Not going to happen. The RFL want the best teams to play each other. Also they're committed - rightly or wrongly - to a national competition.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. Promotion & Relegation is almost certainly coming back very soon...
Posted Image

#9 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. Promotion & Relegation is almost certainly coming back very soon...

but i am worried, we might get relegated.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#10 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

but i am worried, we might get relegated.

:D
Posted Image

#11 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

I hope it's run on the right lines this time, i.e. making sure that P&R happens every year. When Dewsbury and Hunslet won the GF they either weren't allowed in because of their grounds or they withdrew their application. In both cases the bottom club stayed in SL, but shouldn't promotion have been offered to the top Championship club that met the criteria? This practice caused a stir when Widnes (the bottom SL club) loaned a load of Super League players to Doncaster, who hadn't applied for SL, in the hope that the Dons would win the GF and save Widnes from relegation.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

And on what would you base that "near certainty" ?

#13 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

It has been posted on the Leigh board that the reintroduction of P & R is probable according to an article in todays Sun Newspaper.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

The Sun ? :lol:

Is that not the paper who claimed it was probable - no certain - that Liverpool supporters were all drunk at Hillsborough in 1989 ? :lol: :lol: <_< :lol:

People should be ashamed of themselves for picking up a copy of the Sun - let alone reading it.

#15 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Is that not the paper who claimed it was probable - no certain - that Liverpool supporters were all drunk at Hillsborough in 1989 ? :lol: :lol: <_< :lol:

People should be ashamed of themselves for picking up a copy of the Sun - let alone reading it.

Good lord, the first thing you've EVER said that i actually agree with. Doctors for me tomorrow

Edited by Maureen T-k, 13 October 2012 - 05:24 PM.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#16 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's a freak occurrence Scotty
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

The Sun!!!

:lol:

Still chuckling at that one ......

#18 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

The Sun!!!

:lol:

Still chuckling at that one ......

Forget the sun, think about the rl correspondent and i think its Dave "nosey" Parker he isnt normally that far off

#19 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

I would put my house on it that a large number of Liverpool fans were drunk that day

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

I would put my house on it that a large number of Liverpool fans were drunk that day

And that that was the cause of the disaster ?

And I haven't even touched on some of the more lurid and disagreeable claims that were made ....... <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users