Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What Is It With Women And Fancy Breakfasts?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

So I'm getting ready for my annual trip to Rumfest this weekend - yes it is exactly how it sounds, a festival of rum and rum-drinking - and the Mrs has decided to get in on the organising act. There's always a big group of us go to Rumfest, and this year it's moved location to the Excel Centre in the docklands so we're planning to meet up at Liverpool Street and have a decent breakfast before sampling one or two rums from around the world.

So my girlfriend and some of her friends decide on a place to meet that meets none of my requirements. It's a coffee shop, one of those fancy ones filled with hipsters wearing tweed and sporting ridiculous facial hair that are found all over the east end these days. I hate these places. And I hate coffee too, come to that. To make matters worse I had a look at their menu and their one and only cooked breakfast consists of bacon, sausage, eggs, mushrooms, tomato and spinach. Spinach! In a breakfast!

Where's the black pudding? The fried bread? The toast? The chips? The rosie lee in a chipped mug?

So I've just put my foot down and refused to go there. And now she's got a strop on. Apparently I'm being anti-social, and she's going there without me, and she'll tell everyone about my refusal, and it'll ruin the day, and I'm being deliberately difficult, and and and!

Am I wrong on this one? Because I just don't see it.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

If a normal person bought this breakfast and a tea-based infusion to go with it would they get any change out of fifteen quid?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

And go here instead: http://www.urban75.o...-street-london/
- Severus, July 2012

#4 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

[

If it's your annual trip why are her friends going? What about your mates, they can't be happy with it.

Tell her if she doesn't get some decent stodge in her stomach early doors then you will refuse to assist her holding her hair back when she is inevitably vomiting in the street at half eleven this evening.

Edited by MikeW, 11 October 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#5 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Good lord man, forget breakfast and get tucked into the rum ;)

Oh and while your at it post news of this fine sounding experience much earlier in the year so I can plan a visit. Sounds like a fine way to pickle your liver.

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

If a normal person bought this breakfast and a tea-based infusion to go with it would they get any change out of fifteen quid?

50p maybe. It's a tenner just for the 'breakfast'.

#7 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

[

If it's your annual trip why are her friends going? What about your mates, they can't be happy with it.

Tell her if she doesn't get some decent stodge in her stomach early doors then you will refuse to assist her holding her hair back when she is inevitably vomiting in the street at half eleven this evening.

One or two of her friends always come too, but this year she's extended the list even further. I've got an email exchange going on at the minute about finding an alternative location for the refuseniks, unfortunately some of the blokes are getting nagged into going to this place.

I just can't work out why, after a nine year relationship, she thinks I'd be remotely interested in this sort of establishment. Women are odd.

#8 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Aargh! It sounds to me like you other half has taken your ideal weekend and put her own slant on things. From a simple perspective, a weekend of rum -based shenanigans commencing with a spinach based breakfast; could you get a better example of oil and water?

I think I may have a reasonable compromise though. It is my understannding that Borough Market is the latest place to be, but it can be tempered by the fact you can get decent grub. I can't wholly endorse this recommendation, as I have been put onto this by a frequent visiting friend, yet to make the trip personally.

#9 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Good lord man, forget breakfast and get tucked into the rum ;)

Oh and while your at it post news of this fine sounding experience much earlier in the year so I can plan a visit. Sounds like a fine way to pickle your liver.

tbh most people turn their nose up at rum. This is an annual event with distillers and importers displaying their wares. 25 quid to get in and supposedly 5 drinks vouchers but actually you just fill your boots with free samples. It usually has some 'events', a bit of music, food, and some dancing girls in feathers. Tickets available on the door if you're anywhere local, and a new event is starting this year on the sunday: Rumstock - in case one day isn't enough.

#10 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Aargh! It sounds to me like you other half has taken your ideal weekend and put her own slant on things. From a simple perspective, a weekend of rum -based shenanigans commencing with a spinach based breakfast; could you get a better example of oil and water?

I think I may have a reasonable compromise though. It is my understannding that Borough Market is the latest place to be, but it can be tempered by the fact you can get decent grub. I can't wholly endorse this recommendation, as I have been put onto this by a frequent visiting friend, yet to make the trip personally.

Borough Market I have mixed feelings over. My grandparents grew up around there so I'm never quite sure if I approve of the changes that have occurred.

#11 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Gety drunk on the rum and tell her she's your besteshhht frrienddd and things will be ok.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

I just can't work out why, after a nine year relationship, she thinks I'd be remotely interested in this sort of establishment. Women are odd.

She clearly doesn't want to get to year 10.

Get tanked on rum and find some hookers.
- Severus, July 2012

#13 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

She clearly doesn't want to get to year 10.

Get tanked on rum and find some hookers.

Alternatively.....

She is making an effort to get involved with something you enjoy. Great. Do you reciprocate by going out to do something she enjoys? If so suggest next time you go out on this that you stick your size 9s in and ###### up the day for her. Obviously not in those words.

#14 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Coffee shops also serve tea, even Starbucks (God help me), as for breakfast...surely at Rumfest they would serve some food?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

tbh most people turn their nose up at rum.

Most rum is pretty ordinary stuff, made quickly. If you try some that's been aged in the same way as whisky, it can be amazing. It certainly changed my mind about rum.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Coffee shops also serve tea, even Starbucks (God help me), as for breakfast...surely at Rumfest they would serve some food?

Went into a Starbucks once and walked straight out again. Ghastly place. First time I went to Rumfest I made the mistake of leaving it too late and the only food left was rum cake and guava jelly. SInce then I've always tried to load up beforehand.

#17 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Wray & Nephew Overproof was introduced to me by my Mother-in-law, lethal stuff 63%
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#18 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Most rum is pretty ordinary stuff, made quickly. If you try some that's been aged in the same way as whisky, it can be amazing. It certainly changed my mind about rum.

I've got quite a decent collection of rums, and I try to indoctrinate people when they come round. Santa Teresa (from Venezuela) is possibly my favourite, although I also have a very soft spot for St Nicholas Abbey (Barbados). Pusser's has a very interesting backstory (anyone serving in the Royal Navy before 1970 would recognise it) but taste-wise it's not so great.

Avoid rhum agricole, not only is it from the French islands but it's also horrendous.

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

I've got quite a decent collection of rums, and I try to indoctrinate people when they come round. Santa Teresa (from Venezuela) is possibly my favourite, although I also have a very soft spot for St Nicholas Abbey (Barbados). Pusser's has a very interesting backstory (anyone serving in the Royal Navy before 1970 would recognise it) but taste-wise it's not so great.

Avoid rhum agricole, not only is it from the French islands but it's also horrendous.

I occasionally treat myself to a bottle of this, when I'm feeling flush. Lquid sunlight! :) Posted Image

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

And sometimes this, which is an unusual one.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users