RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What Is It With Women And Fancy Breakfasts?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Take them here: http://www.londontow...dge-Cafe/c8b9f/

#22 heartofGold

heartofGold
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Am I wrong on this one? Because I just don't see it.

I don't think you're wrong. My sister always makes a beeline for those coffee shop places with the fancy danish pastries and I hate them. I recently spent a particularly awful night babysitting my granddaughter who was awake almost all night. After I had taken her back to her mum the next morning I stopped at a Morrisons cafe to try to try and regain some strength before shopping. I ordered their £3.75 breakfast expecting the usual supermarket cafe disappointment and was presented with two decent sized rashers, two sausages, two cooked to perfection dippy eggs, beans and two slices of thick buttered toast all piping hot and freshly cooked plus a mug of tea. Well impressed :)

oy shked helwa el horiya

#23 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Chips for breakfast? Shes got a point with that

Anyway, will there be Austria's finest, Stroh 60?

If not Ive got the remnants of a bottle I bought in the mid 90s, amongst the foulest fluids on earth but still essential for my skiing hip flask

(The foulest being Italian spirit called Cynar - artichoke or chicory, Im never sure, if someone told you it was poison youd believe them)

#24 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Take them here: http://www.londontow...dge-Cafe/c8b9f/

Funnily enough i grew up in Acton, although the other side of it, and played football in the park next to the cafe. Went in there once or twice in the dim and distant but was never that impressed. Unless the Mrs changes her plans I'll let her go to her place (nude espresso if anyone's interested in checking it out) and I'll meet my cousin in Walpole's in Ealing.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#25 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

If not Ive got the remnants of a bottle I bought in the mid 90s, amongst the foulest fluids on earth but still essential for my skiing hip flask

(The foulest being Italian spirit called Cynar - artichoke or chicory, Im never sure, if someone told you it was poison youd believe them)

There's an ongoing debate in my household over chips being included in a full English. Aside form the obvious health implications (and to be fair I only eat full English on rare occasions) if it's a breakfast breakfast then I can go without, but if it's mid-morning breakfast then pile them on.

I'm afraid I've got an automatic dislike of Australian rum. I've never tasted one that was even remotely likeable.

Edited by nadera78, 11 October 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#26 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

I occasionally treat myself to a bottle of this, when I'm feeling flush. Lquid sunlight! :) Posted Image

The in-laws are from Trinidad, so I've got some of that kicking around. It's nice. If you get the chance try the Santa Teresa 1796, it's still family owned and very nice. They also do an orange flavoured one using oranges from their own plantation.

#27 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

You are, fundamentally, in the right here. Don't forget it.

I suggest you have your breakfast wherever you damn well choose. If she doesn't like it, then do what you should have done years ago and sleep with her best friend. You know you want to. You know she wants to. And I bet she even likes black pudding...

That's me.  I'm done.

#28 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'm afraid I've got an automatic dislike of Australian rum. I've never tasted one that was even remotely likeable.

Like all Australian drinks then
Stroh is Austrian, but the same comment applies

#29 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Like all Australian drinks then
Stroh is Austrian, but the same comment applies

My bad! Didn't even know they made rum in Austria. There's a sort-of rum made in the Czech Republic using sugar beet, but I've never tried it. Is Stroh something similar?

#30 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

You are, fundamentally, in the right here. Don't forget it.

I suggest you have your breakfast wherever you damn well choose. If she doesn't like it, then do what you should have done years ago and sleep with her best friend. You know you want to. You know she wants to. And I bet she even likes black pudding...

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if I'll follow it though......

#31 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

I hear you bro'.

In my case it's not fancy brekkies. It's fancy brunches. In insufferable places. With insufferable people. And yes, I've found some spinach in mi poached eggs before now.

Plus side is, because it's brunch that means 11.30 start. And I always get an extra ration of morning glory before we go so Ill be on my best behaviour.

TBH thinking about it.....result.

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#32 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

My bad! Didn't even know they made rum in Austria. There's a sort-of rum made in the Czech Republic using sugar beet, but I've never tried it. Is Stroh something similar?

Burns with a blue flame

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=624

#33 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Stroh for Men, as I called it. By God, it is foul, akin to drinking aftershave.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 11 October 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

I bet she even likes black pudding...

Filthy #####.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#35 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

There's an ongoing debate in my household over chips being included in a full English. Aside form the obvious health implications (and to be fair I only eat full English on rare occasions) if it's a breakfast breakfast then I can go without, but if it's mid-morning breakfast then pile them on.

You don't own a Ducati by any chance do you?
There's a minor debate occurring on the Ducati forum I frequent about Full English and Beans. http://ducatiforum.c...ave-beans-5318/
I'm in the Beans but no tomato camp.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Beans is fine with me, as are tomatoes. As is everything full breakfast related.

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,251 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

Black Pudding is a step too far for me and I don't eat eggs but everything else is fine, including chips. I don't go to cafes for breakfast much any more but, for about fifteen years, went to one or two every week; I was going to write up my "Egon Ronay" Guide to the Transport Cafes of West Yorkshire but never got round to it.

I had a couple of ladies working with me last year and they too liked a proper breakfast but we ended up always going to Morrisons because they thought the ladies toilets in transport cafes (like those in the places we were working) wouldn't be up to their desired hygiene standards.

Is there still that live-eel stall in Borough Market? Thirty years ago, customers picked a live eel from a selection held in a metal tray with half an inch of water in it. The stallholder successively within about thirty seconds, placed it on a wooden chopping board, sliced its head and tail off, peeled its skin off, chopped it into one-inch lengths and gave them to the customer to take home and cook. The stall had a bucket full of the reject bits ... the eel heads still had their eyes open and their mouths opening and closing. I found it a really gruesome sight but local kids were queuing up to buy chopped eels on their way home from school.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Black Pudding is a step too far for me and I don't eat eggs but everything else is fine, including chips. I don't go to cafes for breakfast much any more but, for about fifteen years, went to one or two every week; I was going to write up my "Egon Ronay" Guide to the Transport Cafes of West Yorkshire but never got round to it.

Be honest, you never were going to write that were you?

AND Black Pudding is great. Might be a Welsh thing?

Edited by Johnoco, 12 October 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#39 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,251 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

quote name='Johnoco' timestamp='1350001415' post='2576136'
Be honest, you never were going to write that were you?

I certainly was, but not in a publishing sense. At a guess, it would only be about fifteen-twenty pages / fifty cafes maximum (I used to go for cafe dinners as well); I was going to hand-write it and give it to the the typists at work to type up. I would then make it available to friends and colleagues for free as an important reference document. Obviously, it would have to be updated annually :)

AND Black Pudding is great. Might be a Welsh thing?
No, my Dad loved black pudding. I left home at seventeen so, to be honest, I'm not sure if its commonly on the menu in Welsh cafes. The only Welsh cafes I've been in with anything approaching regularity are at seaside resorts such as Barry and Porthcawl, where the standard is not high.
I'm no great expert on cuisine as I eat well but on a limited diet ... I have never eaten fish or poultry. Even though, when a child, my family kept 400 chickens. I used to eat eggs but now the only meat that I eat is mammal. My feeling (obviously not logical but sincere) is that I am a mammal and, if I eat fish and poultry, I might as well eat worms, slugs and spiders.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#40 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Doesn't the average person eat 367 spiders in their sleep every night anyway? And 3 moths?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users