Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What Is It With Women And Fancy Breakfasts?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

You're thinking of Lancastrians

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#42 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Black Pudding is a step too far for me and I don't eat eggs but everything else is fine, including chips. I don't go to cafes for breakfast much any more but, for about fifteen years, went to one or two every week; I was going to write up my "Egon Ronay" Guide to the Transport Cafes of West Yorkshire but never got round to it.

I had a couple of ladies working with me last year and they too liked a proper breakfast but we ended up always going to Morrisons because they thought the ladies toilets in transport cafes (like those in the places we were working) wouldn't be up to their desired hygiene standards.

Is there still that live-eel stall in Borough Market? Thirty years ago, customers picked a live eel from a selection held in a metal tray with half an inch of water in it. The stallholder successively within about thirty seconds, placed it on a wooden chopping board, sliced its head and tail off, peeled its skin off, chopped it into one-inch lengths and gave them to the customer to take home and cook. The stall had a bucket full of the reject bits ... the eel heads still had their eyes open and their mouths opening and closing. I found it a really gruesome sight but local kids were queuing up to buy chopped eels on their way home from school.

Last time I went to Borough Market there was no sign of that stall. It's a very trendy foodies market now, with lots of foreign food stalls. The area has changed beyond anything my grandparents would recognise were they still alive, and I doubt anyone living in The Borough these days would even consider eating jellied eels. My dad's family moved west after the war and I know my nan used to travel from Shepherd's Bush to the Walworth Rd in order to buy eels. She'd come back with them, live and in a shopping bag, on the bus and cook them at home. The trick is to put newspaper on the chopping board because it soaks up the oil in the eel's skin and stops it moving around.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

those coffee shop places with the fancy danish pastries and I hate them.

I concur. The coffee is also invariably bad and expensive. Basically, it's a push-button espresso, milk that's been ruined by being boiled and sundry variations that you have to order using nerdish cod-Italian jargon.

The only thing worth buying in Starbucks is their coffee grinders, which are perfectly good and the cheapest I've been able to find. Their coffee beans are over-roasted, though, and not very good anyway.

Thankfully, I persuaded Sourced Market at St Pancras station to sell coffee beans as well as just serving coffee, so I can pick up a bag of really good coffee beans during my commute.

Edited by Futtocks, 12 October 2012 - 09:05 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

On the subject of chips with breakfast, I was in Korea a few years ago with work, and the "western breakfast" served in the company sleeping quarters came with chips. It was very odd, like they had an idea of what to serve for western food but hadn't got it quite right: it consisted of bacon, scrambled egg whites, salad tomatoes, chips and broccoli. Broccoli for breakfast!

Edited by Grinner, 12 October 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#45 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

So my girlfriend and some of her friends decide on a place to meet that meets none of my requirements. It's a coffee shop, one of those fancy ones filled with hipsters wearing tweed and sporting ridiculous facial hair that are found all over the east end these days. I hate these places. And I hate coffee too, come to that. To make matters worse I had a look at their menu and their one and only cooked breakfast consists of bacon, sausage, eggs, mushrooms, tomato and spinach. Spinach! In a breakfast!

I'm backing your girlfriend - this board's infested with far too many grumpy old codgers.

Where's she taking you? I'm heading down to Spitalfields this afternoon - maybe I'll grab a flat white and a smoked haddock and spinach rarebit whilst I'm at it...

#46 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm surprised that Kebabs arn't the Breakfast dish nowadays..........

#47 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

I'm backing your girlfriend - this board's infested with far too many grumpy old codgers.

Where's she taking you? I'm heading down to Spitalfields this afternoon - maybe I'll grab a flat white and a smoked haddock and spinach rarebit whilst I'm at it...

We're still in negotiations over attendance (negotiations I think I'm winning btw) but the place she has in mind is called nude espresso.

#48 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Really, you are causing an agrument over the missing black pud? you can still have your cooked breakfast, line the stomach, ask them to leave off the spinach.

Think about what is the most important stuff

#49 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

We're still in negotiations over attendance (negotiations I think I'm winning btw) but the place she has in mind is called nude espresso.

I have now looked at this place's website.

You may hand your testicles in at reception.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,157 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Can we get a Paul Wood joke in here somewhere?

#51 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Your goading is going to get me into trouble!

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Your goading is going to get me into trouble!

I'm concerned that there is someone on this board whose dandy metrosexual existence is making me look like a Brummie bricklayer.
- Severus, July 2012

#53 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

I'm concerned that there is someone on this board whose dandy metrosexual existence is making me look like a Brummie bricklayer.

If I was that much of a dandy metrosexual then I wouldn't have started this thread.

#54 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

If I was that much of a dandy metrosexual then I wouldn't have started this thread.

This is Grade A chatterati conversation. Oooo, where shall we do breakfast ... ooo, spinach, I don't think so ...

Tell me, how do you knot your scarf?
- Severus, July 2012

#55 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

This is Grade A chatterati conversation. Oooo, where shall we do breakfast ... ooo, spinach, I don't think so ...

Tell me, how do you knot your scarf?

Oh the shame!

I knot my QPR scarf around my wrist.

#56 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Cooked breakfast should definately include black pudding. May also include hash browns, sauteed potatoes but never chips.

Hp sauce and a pile of toast essential

#57 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Black pudding with breakfast definately. Chips? I wouldn't refuse, but fried bread has to be there.

As for Rum, I have only had Morgans Spiced and Sailor Jerry (with coke, can't drink it neat)

Have been looking at this site recently to get ideas for xmas - the other half drinks Rum as well, so a prezzy for both of us.

#58 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Oh the shame!

I knot my QPR scarf around my wrist.

Blue and white. So on trend.
- Severus, July 2012

#59 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Blue and white. So on trend.

I'm clearly not going to win this one so I suppose I should 'fess up and admit to owning a very nice, multi-coloured, Paul Smith scarf.

Is that dandy enough for you?

#60 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'm clearly not going to win this one so I suppose I should 'fess up and admit to owning a very nice, multi-coloured, Paul Smith scarf.

Is that dandy enough for you?

But do you ware it when it's not particularly cold? And do you tie it in a ridiculously overly complex knot?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users