RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse Olympique get go ahead for stadium upgrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I understand that Toulouse Olympique have been given the go ahead to have their Stade Minimes upgraded ahead of their super league 2015 application, good news for the sport over there.

This was announced at their Oval Table meeting last night, will post a link up later.

#2 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Look here http://www.to13.com/...projet-demarre/
My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

#3 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Fantastic news!!

#4 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Boooo! There aren't enough rugby league fans in France to support a second SL team ;) They should be reducing the stadium not extending it.

#5 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

any photos of the proposed ground?

#6 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Cheers for putting up the link.

#7 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

They have money behind them stadium on the way more than likely sky will get some help in the long term from bein. Big moment for the game and realistic for a 2nd french superleague side, not the build a 6 storey house with no base approach of luc dayan.

#8 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

Boooo! There aren't enough rugby league fans in France to support a second SL team ;) They should be reducing the stadium not extending it.

thank you and goodnight....

#9 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

They have money behind them stadium on the way more than likely sky will get some help in the long term from bein. Big moment for the game and realistic for a 2nd french superleague side, not the build a 6 storey house with no base approach of luc dayan.

pretty ambitious plans with phase one ready for 2014 - a Super League application will then follow

this is a plan that could actually be viable and there's no reason why the Catalans success can't be replicated in Toulouse - investment and sponsorship is in place despite these difficult times and the RFL recognise this potential when they compare the relative poverty and mismanagement by many present SL outfits

Les Minimes will probably have one of the best infrastructures around it in SL with excellent road, rail, air links not to mention hotel facilities - lets just hope a team can be cobbled together which can compete at the highest level in europe

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

pretty ambitious plans with phase one ready for 2014 - a Super League application will then follow

this is a plan that could actually be viable and there's no reason why the Catalans success can't be replicated in Toulouse - investment and sponsorship is in place despite these difficult times and the RFL recognise this potential when they compare the relative poverty and mismanagement by many present SL outfits

Les Minimes will probably have one of the best infrastructures around it in SL with excellent road, rail, air links not to mention hotel facilities - lets just hope a team can be cobbled together which can compete at the highest level in europe

The self styled board of directors of SL(Europe) Ltd landed in Toulouse the other month.and the four of them gave a full eight thumbs up to Toulouse's plans, albeit the all powerful licensing commitee will have a totally independent say in rubber stamping Toulouse if SLE say so.

Wlll top SLE clubs be excited to face trips to Toulouse, to receive the crowd pullers here in GB, to watch them struggle to put a team together with few quality French players and less access to overseas players.

Will bottom SLE clubs be excited to have someone to beat, or will the bottom be dropped out of SLE to make way for our Anglo-French tournament. Who knows.

All I know is that "investment and sponsorship" must be of the proportions originally promised six years ago for this to look likely to happen.

Do you think heavy investment in a ground that in theory could be the biggest waste of money if Toulouse don't get in SL is a sign of great folly or a sign someone knows something??

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Could we not do both approaches? If Luc Dayan has money and Bein want a third French SL team in the north, does this not offer a great opportunity given the lack if RU up there? It does not take very long to build up a large supporter base - I refer you to Munster and Leinster RU

#12 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

The self styled board of directors of SL(Europe) Ltd landed in Toulouse the other month.and the four of them gave a full eight thumbs up to Toulouse's plans, albeit the all powerful licensing commitee will have a totally independent say in rubber stamping Toulouse if SLE say so.

Wlll top SLE clubs be excited to face trips to Toulouse, to receive the crowd pullers here in GB, to watch them struggle to put a team together with few quality French players and less access to overseas players.

Will bottom SLE clubs be excited to have someone to beat, or will the bottom be dropped out of SLE to make way for our Anglo-French tournament. Who knows.

All I know is that "investment and sponsorship" must be of the proportions originally promised six years ago for this to look likely to happen.

Do you think heavy investment in a ground that in theory could be the biggest waste of money if Toulouse don't get in SL is a sign of great folly or a sign someone knows something??

Adding a French team does not mean losing an existing SL team or not adding an NL1 team. Simply means SL will get bigger.

Soccers premiership has 18 teams doesnt it?

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,595 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

We don't have enough TV money to have 14 teams let alone 18. Not to mention that RL is an impact sport and players simply cannot play the same length of season.

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

We don't have enough TV money to have 14 teams let alone 18. Not to mention that RL is an impact sport and players simply cannot play the same length of season.

I agree with you entirely.

You always talk more sense than Lobby.

But I would not be against an 18 team league if that's how it went? If the currrent 14 clubs had Toulouse, Fev, Fax and sheffield added in to make 18 SL teams then c'est la vie.

(did you see what i did there)?

#15 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Toulouse may help bring more tv money in

#16 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

thank you and goodnight....

I guess that went straight over your head. Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

#17 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I guess that went straight over your head. Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

oh I see, that was supposed to be sarcastic ?

what do you really feel about TO13 playing in SL then ?

are you all for getting more money into the game or you don't care as long as it's not those nasty froggies ?

erhh yes Parky, someone does indeed 'know something' - it's been a done deal for the past year - the major
hurdle was getting the city council to help fund the project - the RFL was a pushover

you don't have to play each other twice in the SL season ! Look at the NRL

#18 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

It's good news. Nothing more needs to be said.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

erhh yes Parky, someone does indeed 'know something' - it's been a done deal for the past year - the major
hurdle was getting the city council to help fund the project - the RFL was a pushover

you don't have to play each other twice in the SL season ! Look at the NRL

Oiseau,

What's been a done deal? Are you saying Toulouse are (unofficially) certainties for Superleague??

I acknowledge Winnyasons point that not only may TO offer a club with plenty of money, but they may deliver a second source of TV money.

As for you comment on "18 clubs" & "look at the NRL" I do trust that was tongue in cheek.

On an £8,000,000 annual operating loss the first thing Superleague needs is a new rich club (TO?)

A French TV contract to satisfy the needs of Les Cats and TO.

And the sharing of SKY money between 10 English clubs who can compete in SL.

Along with the £100K a year savings by "using" championship clubs as "A" teams i reckon the Superleague is set to cut it's annual operating losses by several millions.

If certain SL clubs don't get out of the "fine mess" they are in they'll be cut too.

#20 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

A few things on this:
- let's get them in. They're such a glamourous name, and the potential upside is so great that that outweighs the usual risks for me;
- the 8m loss is a meaningless figure. Saints regul s absorbed the losses. 10 pounds loss is too much if you cannot pay it. 10 million isn't if you can;
- if we had 18 teams not playing each other then the argument in favour of the GF winner being the "best" team would be stronger, and help assuage the wide spread discontent this year;
- having Toulouse in a 14 team comp could potentially increase the competition for English players, while exposing more French players to SL, thus leading to clear benefits for both internationally; and
- I know it won't happen, but I would love to see T O in a 2 tier SL with 10 teams in each.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users