Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse Olympique get go ahead for stadium upgrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

I don't know if Toulouse going into SL is a good or bad thing - there are pros and cons but the one big advantage the RFL may be considering is the fact that Toulouse would not be reliant on one main sugar daddy like at London,Wakey or Widnes et al - the majority of the running costs would be borne by sponsors & tv money - Toulouse is a relatively rich city compared to the likes of Perpignan with loadsamoney in the pipeline though similar on-field success like the Catalans would be required to attract the fans on a regular basis - the word 'potential' keeps cropping up but it's easy to talk a good game...

Thanks for that further information. Multiple sources of income sounds like a winner.

#42 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for that further information. Multiple sources of income sounds like a winner.

seems more af a stable environment to run a business rather than relying on one man to prop up the company ? If I were the RFL I would be struggling to find stability or potential stability in these troubled times so maybe this is not a perfect scenario but a more intelligent way of looking toward to future ?

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

I don't know if Toulouse going into SL is a good or bad thing - there are pros and cons but the one big advantage the RFL may be considering is the fact that Toulouse would not be reliant on one main sugar daddy like at London,Wakey or Widnes et al - the majority of the running costs would be borne by sponsors & tv money - Toulouse is a relatively rich city compared to the likes of Perpignan with loadsamoney in the pipeline though similar on-field success like the Catalans would be required to attract the fans on a regular basis - the word 'potential' keeps cropping up but it's easy to talk a good game...

The RFL will warmly welcome Toulouse as they have to promote International RL.

The SLE will warmly welcome money money money if Toulouse are to provide it in spades....

SLE would not consider France at all if Great Britain had the resources to provide a vibrant Superleague from top to bottom that did not exclusively sit on the M62......

RFL

#44 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

The RFL will warmly welcome Toulouse as they have to promote International RL.

The SLE will warmly welcome money money money if Toulouse are to provide it in spades....

SLE would not consider France at all if Great Britain had the resources to provide a vibrant Superleague from top to bottom that did not exclusively sit on the M62......

RFL

"The RFL will warmly welcome Toulouse as they have to promote International RL."

only in the northern hemisphere to iprovide better opposition for England teams

"The SLE will warmly welcome money money money if Toulouse are to provide it in spades...."

don't think Toulouse will be sharing much with the rest of SL - their ideal, like any other SL club would be to remain solvent

"SLE would not consider France at all if Great Britain had the resources to provide a vibrant Superleague from top to bottom that did not exclusively sit on the M62......"

exactly - the RFL have no interest other than making the SL continue and see Toulouse & Catalans as ways of keeping the SL dream alive - they see there are not many GB alternatives - the RFL have no altruistic links to France & vice versa

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

The RFL have no interest other than making the SL continue and see Toulouse & Catalans as ways of keeping the SL dream alive - they see there are not many GB alternatives......

Sheffield, Featherstone, Leigh and Halifax surely?

Nothings official yet but I'm just waiting for the uproar when people realise a club seems to be being flagged through nearly two years before the licensing process?

#46 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Nothings official yet but I'm just waiting for the uproar when people realise a club seems to be being flagged through nearly two years before the licensing process?

And so there should be. There would not even be the ususal pseudo sham legitimacy to the SL application process if they did that.

After that there will be even more uproar when two of the weakest SL teams, London, Bradford , Castleford or Salford are are given the boot for Toulouse and a club from the Championships as promised by the league.

#47 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

You think they have waited long enough screwed with the crusaders fast track then the championship experiment. They deserve a shot, not the. Usual whinging from championship Supporters that occurs.

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

A vital development in my view, as long as they meet the conditions ( and no problem with them being helped along the way, just like the others have been helped over the years). The international dimension is sport is so important these days from a TV and sponsorship point of view. The others have had their chances.

#49 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yeah I think if they are in give them the light in 12 months, Robinson gave plenty of fringe players confidence to perform, the likes of stacul, baile, gossard, Simon are sl standard along with say massolot and quintella already at toulouse. Also young ben Garcia at nrl under 20's is another. Avignon and villenvue are hotbeds for rl talent toulouse should link up ties with these clubs. Griffi, saudoni and the bentley boys could also be SL standard. Barthau is could also be looked at, but longterm he is the playmaker at catalans post dureau/bosc. The first year will be a struggle ask widnes, crusaders, catalans.

Since Catalan arrived in 2006 they've released something like 20 plus French players. Of that number a dozen or so are still playing in the Elite1/2.. The two latest let go Stacul & Gossard have between them nearly 150 SL appearances. The Bentley lads now at Pia still in their twenties have 60 games behind them too. Bemba, Griffi Soubeyras & Gigot are Elite1 players in the 19 selected to play France on Saturday. When Catalan started they had none of that experience. Worth remembering too that the French Academy side in recent times has done well against England. With two SL out fits the best of this crop can be developed & nurtured.

Edited by audois, 14 October 2012 - 11:51 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

You think they have waited long enough screwed with the crusaders fast track then the championship experiment. They deserve a shot, not the. Usual whinging from championship Supporters that occurs.

I think they will get a shot. They seem to be well heeled andm dare say it, rubber stamped.

#51 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Lots of expats in and around Toulouse due largely to the massive aerospace industry.

I think theyd get very big crowds within a couple of years in SL.

Get them in ASAP and get a third French team in by latest 2018

#52 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Lots of expats in and around Toulouse due largely to the massive aerospace industry.

At the expense of Leigh?
Posted Image

#53 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Couldn't this all be avoided by SL clubs and the RFL agreeing to Catalans, London and Toulouse being put in a criteria of Development Franchises and the rest of the clubs being in another pot. Then you could have real transparency (e.g. Castleford being replaced by Halifax or Featherstone; Leigh replacing Salford) of like-for-like.

This system would also have meant that Toulouse could have bid for the vacant Development Franchise left by the defaulting Crusaders etc.

Edited by Scubby, 14 October 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#54 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

At the expense of Leigh?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Couldn't this all be avoided by SL clubs and the RFL agreeing to Catalans, London and Toulouse being put in a criteria of Development Franchises and the rest of the clubs being in another pot. Then you could have real transparency (e.g. Castleford being replaced by Halifax or Featherstone; Leigh replacing Salford) of like-for-like.

This system would also have meant that Toulouse could have bid for the vacant Development Franchise left by the defaulting Crusaders etc.

I've said this in the past. If we're going to include development sides, they're going to need more time to prepare than the heartland clubs.
Posted Image

#56 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'd be okay with that if the RFL had made it clear that this kind of thing might happen, Toulouse deserve a shot at SL. Instead it seems to be the usual moveable goal posts.

#57 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Expats are irrelevant.

#58 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Expats are irrelevant.

No they arent. They will help swell the crowd in the first few years of SL. This will make RL look popular and snowball more fans due to increased atmosphere.

#59 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

At the expense of Leigh?

At the expense of no-one. The SL can contibue to expanf. The sport will be of more value with more French clubs which will mean there are additional revenue streams than just sky tv money

#60 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'd be okay with that if the RFL had made it clear that this kind of thing might happen, Toulouse deserve a shot at SL. Instead it seems to be the usual moveable goal posts.

Fair point taken....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users