TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Toulouse Olympique get go ahead for stadium upgrade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#61 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

At the expense of no-one. The SL can contibue to expanf. The sport will be of more value with more French clubs which will mean there are additional revenue streams than just sky tv money

The sport isn't "worth more" to Sky. It might attract new revenue but that remains to be seen. It is not definite.

#62 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

The sport isn't "worth more" to Sky. It might attract new revenue but that remains to be seen. It is not definite.

The allure of French clubs is French TV. Sky don't operate in France. The country has no commercial value to them.

#63 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Toulouse will be speaking with Bien Sports to make a deal to include Catalans plus the LER are also considering plans to have some of their games shown next year - maybe in a separate kind of cup or league competition - it's in the early stages regarding the LER project but as soon as stadium work is under way at Les Minimes Carlos & co will be negotiating for a joint tv deal for future SL transmissions

#64 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

remember, you heard it here first folks.....

#65 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

With the interest being shown by BEIN, both the RFL and the FFR13 should approach them about a new european tournament with champs and LER clubs..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#66 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

No they arent. They will help swell the crowd in the first few years of SL. This will make RL look popular and snowball more fans due to increased atmosphere.

No they won't. That is a completely stupid, counter-productive theory. You think that just because people are British, they are automatically going to turn up to support a new SL team in the area, or that they are any more likely to do so than French people who have lived there all their lives? Expats are totally irrelevant to the potential success or failure of any sporting club.

#67 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

No they won't. That is a completely stupid, counter-productive theory. You think that just because people are British, they are automatically going to turn up to support a new SL team in the area, or that they are any more likely to do so than French people who have lived there all their lives? Expats are totally irrelevant to the potential success or failure of any sporting club.

of course - the expat contribution to RL in france is almost zero though there is some interest in RU 6 I was at the Villeneuve v TO13 game yesterday and I was probably the only 'ex-pat' brit in the 1200 crowd and that's in an area with thousands of brits

I can't imagine a TO13 SL side would attract any more than a handful of brits, just like at the Gilbert Brutus

#68 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

On the face of it, TO13 would be a welcome addition to SL, as long as the RFL keep the promise to elevate a Championship club as well.

#69 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

of course - the expat contribution to RL in france is almost zero though there is some interest in RU 6 I was at the Villeneuve v TO13 game yesterday and I was probably the only 'ex-pat' brit in the 1200 crowd and that's in an area with thousands of brits

I can't imagine a TO13 SL side would attract any more than a handful of brits, just like at the Gilbert Brutus

Thats because the French League is low profile. SL would be much bigger. There are a lot of expats in Toulouse. Many are not from RL backgrounds but some are I'm sure.

#70 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Thats because the French League is low profile. SL would be much bigger. There are a lot of expats in Toulouse. Many are not from RL backgrounds but some are I'm sure.

So it's about as relevant as the French citizens, many of whom will not be from RL backgrounds but some are.

One of the things that annoys me the most when people talk about expansion is 'expats in the area'. Not only is it totally stupid for the reasons mentioned, it's also completely counter-productive as an expansion club should be looking to bring new people into RL, not provide an outlet for displaced people who might already like the game. That sort of thinking potentially cost years of development for London Broncos.

Edited by Evil Homer, 15 October 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#71 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

ok - maybe this will help

using London as a comparison - just think of the hundreds of thousands of 'ex-pat northerners' who are settled in the south of England and work out why Broncos only manage crowds of under 4K ? thousands of these must have some affinity the RL so why can't they be bothered to watch RL ? how many ex-pat northerners go north every weekend to support their teams ? probably quite a few, I know I would though we're looking at maybe say, 1K per week spread over all the M62 teams

RL is a minority sport at the best of times so why should brits in France want to attend RL games if they have no interest in the sport ?

#72 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

ok - maybe this will help

using London as a comparison - just think of the hundreds of thousands of 'ex-pat northerners' who are settled in the south of England and work out why Broncos only manage crowds of under 4K ? thousands of these must have some affinity the RL so why can't they be bothered to watch RL ? how many ex-pat northerners go north every weekend to support their teams ? probably quite a few, I know I would though we're looking at maybe say, 1K per week spread over all the M62 teams

RL is a minority sport at the best of times so why should brits in France want to attend RL games if they have no interest in the sport ?

Expat northerners do go - i know many. However they have NEVER been a target for the Broncos. Expat Aussies however have been a target for years and this has failed.

I do actually agree with most of what you say, ie that it should not be aimed at expats. However I'm merely pointing out that there are a lot of Brits in and around Toulouse

#73 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Expat northerners do go - i know many. However they have NEVER been a target for the Broncos. Expat Aussies however have been a target for years and this has failed.

I do actually agree with most of what you say, ie that it should not be aimed at expats. However I'm merely pointing out that there are a lot of Brits in and around Toulouse

thing is that RL is a particular sport - you are either a fan or not whereas many don't mind football or RU for example - the vast majority of ex pats I know are living off their uk pensions and the ones that are not trying to sell up because of financial restraints are being very careful with their money - the Toulouse area does have a large ex-pat population though nowhere near as many as in my area which is where the ex-pat boom started in the late 80s/early 90s - this is a RU area and our town of 10K inhabitants attracts a regular crowd of 2K/3K and is a part of their culture though I can't recall hearing many english voices in the crowd -
If I was an ex-pat northerner in London I would either make the trek north to support my team or at the very least attend the Broncos or Skolars games simply because I love the game and it amazes me that the London crowds are so dire - the clubs deserve better

#74 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

thing is that RL is a particular sport - you are either a fan or not whereas many don't mind football or RU for example - the vast majority of ex pats I know are living off their uk pensions and the ones that are not trying to sell up because of financial restraints are being very careful with their money - the Toulouse area does have a large ex-pat population though nowhere near as many as in my area which is where the ex-pat boom started in the late 80s/early 90s - this is a RU area and our town of 10K inhabitants attracts a regular crowd of 2K/3K and is a part of their culture though I can't recall hearing many english voices in the crowd -
If I was an ex-pat northerner in London I would either make the trek north to support my team or at the very least attend the Broncos or Skolars games simply because I love the game and it amazes me that the London crowds are so dire - the clubs deserve better

Part of the problem with expat Northern RL fans is that many dont have anyone they can go with and dont bother going. This defo is the case with people going to Uni. Many just havent yet linked up with other RL fans. This takes time. I only went to one London game in the first 3 years after I came down here and that was against Leigh in div 2 (at Barnet Copthall).

Many others will only go when their team plays London.