Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rochdale's new coach

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

when i said rochdale i really meant oldham obviously lol

At the end of the day mate SuperLeague talent will end up in SuperLeague, weather Saints pick it up themselves or Oldham discover them first.

Tom Lineham came right through York's scholarship before moving to Hull without York seeing a penny (other than the obligatory friendly of course).

The way I see it, is that both Championship divisions are going to see an influx of SuperLeague quality kids next year, plus loads more kids that have come through the SuperLeague environment, and both divisions will be much stronger for it.
Posted Image

#22 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

them 5 st helens players will be the first names on the rochdale team sheet lol

If they are better than Rochdale's players yes. Nothing wrong with that.
Posted Image

#23 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

At the end of the day mate SuperLeague talent will end up in SuperLeague, weather Saints pick it up themselves or Oldham discover them first.

Tom Lineham came right through York's scholarship before moving to Hull without York seeing a penny (other than the obligatory friendly of course).

The way I see it, is that both Championship divisions are going to see an influx of SuperLeague quality kids next year, plus loads more kids that have come through the SuperLeague environment, and both divisions will be much stronger for it.

so if theres a large increase in players/juniors from super league clubs playing in the championships then where does the current championship/championship 1 players play. surely therell be a surpluss.

#24 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

so if theres a large increase in players/juniors from super league clubs playing in the championships then where does the current championship/championship 1 players play. surely therell be a surpluss.

Well there are 3 new clubs to fill next season, and the ones that aren't good enough after that will probably go to the National Conference Leagues.
Posted Image

#25 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Limited and Convenient? Why is that? Do you think Rochdale were managing just fine as they were? I certainly don't. They failed to finish in the top 4 of the lowest professional division last year for a reason.

Talbot's job as Head Coach of Rochdale will be to build a squad of around 25 players that are capable of winning Championship 1, with the luxury of using up to 5 players from a very strong SuperLeague academy system.

York had awful luck with dual-registered players last season, because they were using the system all wrong. I'm more than happy with this - much more stable - system though.

Its limited because it looks at a relatively short period of time, its convenient because it suits your position to only compare with a period of time when Rochdale been poor. Its sets the bar far too low, imho. If we are talking about making the club stronger lets not kid ourselves that the best a non twinned Rochdale can do is represented by the last couple of years.

If you know as fact that his only responsibility is to Rochdale, fine. If its an assumption its a pretty big one.

Im interested that you think this twinning system is going more stable in terms of players. My understanding is that instead of registering upto 4 players in advance and choosing from them clubs will now choose 5 but from a potentially unlimited pool of dr'd players. It sounds to me to have the potential to be far less stable, particularly if the head coach retains some responsibility to the SL club for the development and fitness of ALL the dr'd players.

#26 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Its limited because it looks at a relatively short period of time, its convenient because it suits your position to only compare with a period of time when Rochdale been poor. Its sets the bar far too low, imho. If we are talking about making the club stronger lets not kid ourselves that the best a non twinned Rochdale can do is represented by the last couple of years.

If you know as fact that his only responsibility is to Rochdale, fine. If its an assumption its a pretty big one.

Im interested that you think this twinning system is going more stable in terms of players. My understanding is that instead of registering upto 4 players in advance and choosing from them clubs will now choose 5 but from a potentially unlimited pool of dr'd players. It sounds to me to have the potential to be far less stable, particularly if the head coach retains some responsibility to the SL club for the development and fitness of ALL the dr'd players.

It is not a big assumption to make. His job as Head Coach of Rochdale is to make them as strong as he possibly can. To do that he will need a squad of around 25 players. He can use up to 5 players from a pool of 8 that aren't in St Helens' matchday 17. He doesn't have to pick all 5, but looking at Rochdale's squad from last season I wouldn't be surprised if he does, and whats the problem with picking better players if he has them available?
Posted Image

#27 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

The 8 players I think who most likely to go to Rochdale will be Shaun Magennis, Nathan Ashe, Carl Forster, Danny Jones, Joe Greenwood, Ant Walker, Jordan Hand & Adam Swift.
All but 2 of those have already got some 1st team experience at Saints so I would guess that having 5 of them in the Rochdale line up would undoubtedly strengthen their team, and unless there's an injury crisis i'd imagine they would spend extended spells over there.

#28 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 574 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

am i right in saying we at haven will get saints first teamers not in the 18 man squad and rochdale will get the u19,s who arent playing , would be better for saints if they where playing against quality champ teams rather than in champ1

#29 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

It is not a big assumption to make. His job as Head Coach of Rochdale is to make them as strong as he possibly can. To do that he will need a squad of around 25 players. He can use up to 5 players from a pool of 8 that aren't in St Helens' matchday 17. He doesn't have to pick all 5, but looking at Rochdale's squad from last season I wouldn't be surprised if he does, and whats the problem with picking better players if he has them available?

Sorry to labour the point but unless you've seen or heard something I haven't it still seems a sizable assumption. Yes his job as Rochdale coach is as you describe but if he also has a 2nd job with Saints then a potential conflict arises. There will almost certainly be times when best for Rochdale is not what is best for saints.

No problem with Rochdale picking the best players available to them, with one proviso. The selection & availability of said players is determined soley by considereation of Rochdale's best intetests. i.e. Rochdale can select the same 5 players week in week out even if that means some saints players go weeks or months without a game or find players who perform well 'moved' ti haven to get a higher standard part way through the season.

Has the max of 8 been confirmed anywhere? It would be an improvement if so.

Edited by intheshed, 11 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#30 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sorry to labour the point but unless you've seen or heard something I haven't it still seems a sizable assumption. Yes his job as Rochdale coach is as you describe but if he also has a 2nd job with Saints then a potential conflict arises. There will almost certainly be times when best for Rochdale is not what is best for saints.

No problem with Rochdale picking the best players available to them, with one proviso. The selection & availability of said players is determined soley by considereation of Rochdale's best intetests. i.e. Rochdale can select the same 5 players week in week out even if that means some saints players go weeks or months without a game or find players who perform well 'moved' ti haven to get a higher standard part way through the season.

Has the max of 8 been confirmed anywhere? It would be an improvement if so.

From reading the press release, Talbot no longer has a job at St Helens. He was Coach of their now defunct Under 20s, and has been strongly recommended to Rochdale.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that his only job will be to do whats best for Rochdale, with the help of Matt Calland.
Posted Image

#31 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

i think to everyone else gav it looks like st helens have appointed him & calland

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#32 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

i think to everyone else gav it looks like st helens have appointed him & calland

In the press release it says that St Helens recommended him, not actually appointed him.
Posted Image

#33 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

yeah...do you wanna buy some magic beans? lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#34 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

yeah...do you wanna buy some magic beans? lol

What?
Posted Image

#35 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

How are the Championship clubs going to be better? If the SL youngsters are of such high quality and are going to improve the CC as you say why do the SL clubs see the Championship as a better standard for them to play in? Seems contradictory to me.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#36 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Newtown Jets have had a partrnership with the Roosters for three or four years now.

Two weeks ago it did this for their club:

Posted Image

If the dual reg. of 5 Saints players, the expertise of their ex U20s coach, the involvement of Matt Calland and the opportunity to learn and develop on and off the field delivers the same for us, I'm prepared to give it a shot. If this had been put on the table at Whitebank, they'd've ripped saints' arm off.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#37 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Yes you would.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#38 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

How are the Championship clubs going to be better? If the SL youngsters are of such high quality and are going to improve the CC as you say why do the SL clubs see the Championship as a better standard for them to play in? Seems contradictory to me.

Because the Championship is a better standard for them to play in. The best Championship players blended with an influx of those that were not quite good enough for SuperLeague will see some very good teams next year.
Posted Image

#39 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

What?

if u believe st helens did'nt put talbot in as rochdale coach then i thought i'd try my luck selling you some magic beans lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#40 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

if u believe st helens did'nt put talbot in as rochdale coach then i thought i'd try my luck selling you some magic beans lol

They didn't. He was recommended.
Posted Image